With more than 30 years of experience, CowaterSogema is Canada’s global leader in management consulting services specializing in international development. We have managed the implementation of over 800 projects in more than 80 countries around the globe for clients such as DFID (UKAid), DFAT Australia, KfW/GIZ, the World Bank, the Caribbean Development Bank and Global Affairs Canada. We work with governments, partner organizations, communities and civil society to design and implement sustainable solutions that generate lasting social, economic and environmental impacts. Our adaptive approach to management has led to our award-winning work and recognition as one of Canada’s Best Managed Companies in 2017 and 2018.
CowaterSogema International Inc. (lead), in collaboration with the Palestinian Businesswomen’s Association (Asala) and the Near East Foundation (NEF) Palestine, will implement a 4-year, CAD 9M initiative that aims to enhance economic empowerment and increase prosperity for low-income women and youth in the West Bank.
SUMMARY OF POSITION
Based in Ramallah and reporting directly to the Team Leader (coordinating with the HQ-based Renewable Energy Oversight Specialist based in Ottawa), the Agribusiness, Markets and Renewable Energy (RE) Component Lead will be engaged on the project as a full-time employee. As a member of the Senior Management team, the primary role of this individual will be to oversee the day-to-day management of the implementation of the technical aspects of the project regarding agribusiness value chains of focus, access to markets. Additionally, the position holder will lead the Renewable Energy (RE) component of the Project. It is expected that this position will be the primary liaison with the project sub-contractors in the implementation of their activities.
Accountabilities and deliverables
- Lead the project implementation in the agribusiness value chains of focus and renewable energy components to ensure women’s economic empowerment approach is streamlined and adhered to throughout design and implementation of annual workplans;
- Work closely with Gender and Women’s Economic Empowerment Specialist and Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEL) Specialist to ensure appropriate data collection and synthesise lessons learnt for reporting purposes;
- Contribute to project’s regular progress reporting and any other reports required.
Project Implementation & Reporting
- Act as the principle resource on agribusiness value chains of focus, access to markets and renewable energy implementation plans, issues, practices and policies relevant to the project;
- Contribute input to all project work planning and reporting processes;
- Liaise regularly with other staff and project sub-contractors in planning and implementing approved activities, and monitoring progress towards achievement of program outcomes;
- Work in close collaboration with the Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning Specialist to collect and analyse data, including gender disaggregated data;
- Ensure accurate, robust, and timely inputs to the GROW Project Monitoring and Evaluation system, record data, and document progress in the assigned systems;
- Supervise and manage the respective components’ workplan implementation and report on activity progress to the Team Leader;
- Provide accurate forecasts and budgets for interventions to the Finance and Operations Manager;
- Lead on the delivery and synthesis of lessons learned, case studies and thought pieces from the project operations by working in collaboration with the Market Systems Analyst and the Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning;
- Conduct and participate in internal project workshops and stakeholder workshops including preparation and delivery of specific inputs to these;
- Build and manage relationships with stakeholders, including local government, beneficiaries, and potential partners in the sector;
- Liaise with HQ and GROW local teams as required;
- Identify, contract and oversee the work of consultants and implementing partners;
- Supervise the work of and provide guidance to the Renewable Energy Officer;
- Finalize the construction schedule for the installation of solar PV panels;
- Design, manage and evaluate procurement processes for soliciting solar panels and installations services in a transparent manner which aligns with the procurement guidelines of the project, GAC and the Palestinian Authority;
- Provide direction for the implementation and quality control of the RE component;
- Document lessons learned and good practices regarding the installation, use and management of RE for dissemination;
- Work collaboratively with project partners to identify opportunities to expand or extend the RE component to other activities of the;
- Provide day-today management of the inputs of contractors engaged to construct solar PV panels, including monitoring the quality of work and performance managing contractors where quality standards are not being met;
- Facilitate the due diligence process for potential grantees as required in close coordination with sub-contractors and assigned project team members;
- Contribute to the development of quarterly, semi-annual, and annual project reports.
Relationship management and reporting
- The Agribusiness, Markets and Renewable Energy Component Lead will report to the Team Leader on the responsibilities outlined in role description;
- The Agribusiness, Markets and Renewable Energy Component Lead will lead on the relationship with the Renewable Energy Senior Policy Advisor;
- The Agribusiness, Markets and Renewable Energy Component Lead will provide guidance to the support team on documentation and knowledge management.
- Coordinate with relevant line ministries and donor funded projects (including other GAC funded projects) that are being implemented in the region – ensuring effective collaboration and efficiency of operations, collaboration of lessons learned and effective technical approaches;
- Take responsibility for own continuous professional development by proactively identifying and participating in formal/informal learning opportunities;
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned by the Team Leader and HQ-based Renewable Energy Oversight Specialist based in Ottawa.
- Master’s Degree in a relevant field, including: agricultural engineering, engineering, renewable energy technologies, agriculture, agribusiness, business administration;
- Ten (10) years of progressive responsibility managing development interventions in the West Bank in a technically relevant area;
- Five (5) years of experience working on donor-funded programs with an emphasis on programs relating to private sector development, Entrepreneurship, and women’s economic empowerment;
- Experience working with women’s small and medium enterprises including cooperatives to enhance their income generating capabilities and market access;
- Experience in working in projects that utilize value chains/market development approaches is essential and broad understanding of women’s economic empowerment issues;
- Experience in capacity building and training for targeted women beneficiaries;
- Practical experience working in a similar capacity in GAC-funded projects and knowledge of the RBM tools would be assets.
- Fluent in English;
- Demonstrated knowledge of market development issues in the West Bank, particularly in the agriculture sector;
- Strong communication and diplomacy skills with the ability to professionally speak/read/write in English;
- Ability to deal with complex and sometimes stressful situations, while maintaining a professional and solutions-oriented attitude;
- Strong time management, prioritization and organizational skills;
- Ability to use Microsoft Office.
All applications for the position of Agribusiness, Markets and Renewable Energy Component Lead are to be submitted through Apply Now - تقدم لهذه الوظيفة الآن
Candidates are encouraged to apply before August 22nd, 2018. We thank all applicants, however only those making the shortlist will be contacted.
We thank you for your interest in building a better tomorrow with CowaterSogema.