EPIC project/ Job Vacancy/ Economist
Note: This Job Vacancy will be funded by (AICS) The Italian Agency for Development Cooperation/ EPIC Project.
The Ministry of Finance (MoF) is seeking an experienced Economist to support the Macro-Fiscal Unit (MFU) in the development of analytical tools, frameworks and methods.
The focus of the economist’s work will be on developing the capacity of the MFU and supporting the team, rather than on substituting the current work done by the team. Key responsibilities and areas of focus of the role would include:
- Model Development: Development of models to improve forecasting and to estimate the impact of policy changes, incorporating interdependencies of the tax system with the economic variables, including feedback effects.The Economist should first investigate what models would be most feasible and useful for the MFU. Specific models could include:
- Micro-Simulation Models: Investigate the possibility of developing micro-simulation models to forecast particular revenuelines and estimate the impact of policy changes on those specific revenue lines.
- Computerized General Equilibrium (CGE) Model: Investigate the possibility of developing an in-house CGE model for the MOF to estimate the medium to long-term Macroeconomic effects of policy-changes.
- Medium-Term Fiscal Framework (MTFF): Peer-review and recommend suggested improvements to the MFU’s current process for producing the MTFF. A particular focus on suggesting improved econometric methods for linking the tax-base proxies with the fiscal variables.
- Financial Programming and Policies (FPP) Tool: The MFU is currently developing an FPP tool to produce comprehensive and consistent forecasts across the Macro-sectors. The Economist should assist the MFU in this development, with a particular focus on strengthening the econometric techniques used to forecast specific variables.
- Debt-Sustainability Analysis Tool: Development of a framework for producing Debt-Sustainability Analyses (DSA) and production of an initial DSA in collaboration with MFU. This DSA should consider conditional liabilities and arrears risks.
- General Methods for Policy Costing and Fiscal Risk Analysis: The Economist should support the MFU in developing their policy analysis and costing capacity, as well as fiscal risk analysis. This work should correspond with the work on the MTFF by assisting in the development of MTFF Policy Scenarios.
- Coordination: The Economist should support developing improved coordination between key external and internal technical teams related to Economic and Fiscal policy analysis, including the Revenue Analysis Committee (RAC) and the Economic Forecasting Group (EFG).
جميع الحقوق محفوظة لموقع جوبس.
The role requires strong technical and analytical skills, as well as the ability to transfer these skills to others. Minimum criteria include:
- A relevant postgraduate qualification, such as a Masters in Economics, or equivalent work experience.
- At least 10years of relevant work experience, ideally within a Ministry of Finance, Central Bank or other role with a focus on Macroeconomic and/or Fiscal Policy analysis and advice. Managerial experience would be desirable.
- Modelling Experience, ideally with proven experience working with CGE models or Structural Econometric Macro-Models.
- Good knowledge offorecasting methodologies, Medium-term Macroeconomic and Fiscal Frameworks and Debt Sustainability Analysis.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to work independently, under pressure and under time constraints.
Interested Candidates should send their CV with a cover letter and the needed attachments below only to the email address: [email protected] by the end of Saturday 2nd October 2021.
The needed attachments:
- CV with Cover Letter
- Copy of Official University Certificate
- Secondary education certificate/ transcript
- Copy of ID or Passport
- Personal photo
- Birth certificate
- Experiences and trainings certificates