Oxfam is an international confederation of 19 organizations networked together in more than 90 countries as part of a global movement for change. We aim to empower people to create a future that is secure, just, and free from poverty. Oxfam has been present in the Occupied Palestinian Territory and Israel (OPTI) since the 1950s, and established a country office in the 1980s. We work with the most vulnerable communities in the OPT.
Oxfam invites applications from experienced candidates with strong analytical skills and conceptual depth for the following position:
40 hrs per week fixed term (12 months ) , with possible extension.
Estimated starting date: ASAP
Based in Jerusalem with travel to Ramallah
Purpose of the function:
Main tasks of the function:
You will be responsible for Oxfam Novib’s Right to be Heard Programme (RtbH) in the occupied Palestinian territory and Israel (OPTI) ensuring that targets and objectives formulated are in line with the parameters of the Oxfam Novib Business Plan 2011-2015 and the Oxfam Strategic Plan 2013-2019 (OSP).
Specifically, you will be responsible and accountable for a high quality, high impact and sustainable programme in Right to be Heard (i.e. Good Governance and Active citizenship) in line with the OSP’s goal” People claiming their right to a better life through increasing the voices of poor and marginalized people to gain control over their lives by exercising the right to political participation, freedom of expression and information, freedom of assembly and access to Justice.
In close co-operation with the local partner organizations, ON’s staff in OPTI and Headquarters, as well as with other Oxfam affiliates, you will ensure the effective and efficient coordination and facilitation of the planning, implementation, monitoring and reporting of donor or Oxfam Novib funded programmes. and with relevant units at Oxfam Novib Headquarters and with other Oxfam affiliates.
The PO will contribute towards achieving Oxfam’s Occupied Palestinian Territory and Israel (OPTI) Country Strategy objectives. The PO will need to engage in high level strategic influencing with relevant partners and stakeholders. Under Oxfam’s RtbH programme concretely the PO will manage Finance for Development (F4D) project in the OPT funded by the Dutch Government.
The Programme Officer reports directly to the Oxfam Novib Policy and Campaigns Manager.
Main tasks of the function:
- In close co-operation with Country Office team in Jerusalem you are responsible for the implementation of the Oxfam Novib country strategy 2011-2015 for Palestinians in the Middle East as well as in close cooperation with other Oxfams, the Oxfam joint country strategy as it relates to the Right to be Heard Country Goal.
- You will support the planning, implementation and monitoring of project activities, including field visits, per the approved project proposals, budgets, and action plans;
- You will support the process of providing technical support including capacity building to Oxfam’s implementing partners (NGOs and CBOs) and facilitate and/or arrange for external technical support if required in close consultation with your manager and support staff from the Oxfam Novib in the Hague;
- You ensure that narrative and financial reporting and other donor requirements (such as audits) are met in line with donor agreements and Oxfam Novib policies and routing procedures. You maintain sound relationships with donors at operational level. You work closely with the Financial Officer on this.
- You contribute to the development, implementation and monitoring of the annual plan and report to the Policy and Campaigns Manager on the progress made, both related to the Oxfam Novib grant management and program development.
- You will maintain direct contacts with partners for the monitoring, evaluation and development of partners’ programmes & their organizational capacities. You ensure registration in our administrative system and also that the (digital) archiving of the project activities is correctly done and maintained;
- You are responsible for the identification, development and management of the portfolio of local partners and projects in key areas including access to information, access to justice, public decision and policy-making spaces and organizing civil society. This also means you coordinate the planning, implementation and monitoring of programme activities and ensure professional external positioning on the above areas.
- You will actively engage in discussions with partners and other stakeholders on fostering funding opportunities and where needed develop high quality programs, proposal writing and fundraising together with relevant staff and partners.
- You will also provide technical input as required for the design of the programme(s) and identify and undertake the selection of credible civil society organizations to partner with in the implementation of the programme;
- You initiate and facilitate activities concerning knowledge & information management with local partners to strengthen the effectiveness and implementation of programmes and lessons learned.
- You facilitate the networking between partners and relevant external actors like knowledge & research institutes, and initiate and facilitate reports and any publications in this area.
- You are responsible for identifying, organizing, facilitating and if needed monitoring of the capacity building processes for partners on your specific theme.
- You will be responsible for ensuring strategic engagement of
- With the Policy and Campaigns Manager and other colleagues at the field office for programme delivery, programme progress, co-ordination, exchange of information and insights in results and learning opportunities.
- With the Advocacy and Communications staff (at the field office) on internal/external advocacy and communication.
- With the institutional funding officer (at the field office) on donor’s contact and relations.
- With other Oxfams to co-ordinate and co-operate regarding exchange and use insights in results and learning opportunities.
- With the Policy Lead – Tax and Inequality at HQ level for programme coordination, support and guidance.
- Withlocal partners on the planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of programmes, and on the organizational and institutional development and implementation of Projects.
- With stakeholders and relevant (inter)national organizations and institutions to obtain Information on development of relevance and to influence policy in accordance with strategic objectives and in line with the programmes of local partners and Oxfam Novib.
- With (I)NGOs to co-ordinate and co-operate regarding support of local partners, policy, campaigns and lobby.
- With external donors and consultants with regard to programme implementation and reporting.
جميع الحقوق محفوظة لموقع جوبس.
Technical Skills, Experience & Knowledge
- Completed an academic degree in humanities with a preference for discipline relevant to the specific areas mentioned in relation to this post.
- More than 5 years of relevant working experience in similar positions, preferably within the NGO sector and have affinity with governance and human rights issues in the Middle East and Maghreb region and ideally in the Occupied Palestinian Territory and Israel, and are familiar with the political and institutional context in OPTI.
- Knowledgeable about the key issues in the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.
- Good understanding and knowledge of governance, transparency and accountability, budget monitoring, tax justice and citizens’ participation, civil society development, the use of new technology for social justice, and global citizenship.
- Good understanding and experience of linking programme work to lobby and advocacy, and to media work.
- Experience in organizational analysis & partnership, grant management & program development, monitoring, evaluation and learning to support development programmes.
- Ability to produce high quality analytical written materials
- Extensive experience (at least 3 years) with donor contract management and management of complex multi stakeholder programmes.
- Excellent social skills and demonstrated ability to be a team player
- Good understanding and commitment to fiscal justice.
- Excellent communication skills in English. Command of Arabic is an asset.
- Ability and readiness to travel in the West Bank and Gaza on a regular basis including overnight stays.
A competitive, fair, and comprehensive pay and benefits package that is justifiable to our donors. We offer a gross salary in the range from 126,309 – 189,463 ILS, - on the basis of a 40 hour working week. In addition, there is an attractive benefits package including pension, expensive country allowance, medical insurance, holiday allowance.
Applications in writing (English) with full curriculum vitae to [email protected], to the attention of Chris Eijkemans, Country Director and quoting job title before March 17th, 2018.
Due to the urgency of this recruitment applications will be reviewed as they come in.
Oxfam is an equal opportunity organization.