EXTERNAL and INTERNAL ADVERT
Oxfam is an international confederation of 19 organizations networked together in more than 90 countries as part of a global movement for change. We aim to empower people to create a future that is secure, just, and free from poverty. Oxfam has been present in the Occupied Palestinian Territory and Israel (OPTI) since the 1950s, and established a country office in the 1980s. We work with the most vulnerable communities in the OPT.
Oxfam invites applications from experienced candidates with strong analytical skills and conceptual depth for the following position:
Policy and Campaigns Manager
40 hrs per week fixed term 6 months maternity Cover with possible extension.
Estimated starting date: January 2018
Based in Jerusalem / Ramallah
Purpose of the function:
The post holder reports to the Country Director and directly manages a designated policy, campaigns and communications team; up to 4 people technical leads and officers/advisors, with indirect management of a further 4-7 people. The role also includes matrix management of influencing / advocacy staff employed under affiliate-run country projects.
Main tasks of the function:
Strategic steer & coordination of advocacy, policy, and communications work:
- Take the lead in organizing and coordinating lobbyists across Oxfam affiliates and in different countries to achieve strategic aims of Oxfam in OPTIs national and international advocacy work
- Coordinate input from Palestinian and Israeli civil society, Oxfam OPTI country team colleagues and Oxfam affiliates to ensure Oxfam in OPTIs advocacy strategy and 12-month action plan addresses the causes of conflict and suffering in the OPT, the humanitarian consequences for civilians, analyses power relations and proactively identifies advocacy opportunities to achieve transformative change in line with priority areas;
- Coordinate with the wider Oxfam regional and global campaigns structures feeding in OPTI information to global campaigning initiatives as relevant to country priorities;
- Support the Country Director and others in building consensus among Oxfam affiliates on policies, and coordinating internal sign-off process on all OPTI policy issues;
- Support the Media / Comms Lead to ensure up to date information on Oxfam in OPTIs programme including the latest advocacy and policy products are easily available and good use is being made of Oxfams global internal online communications mechanisms
- Support the Policy Lead to adjust existing or develop new policy messaging on Oxfam in OPTI, ensuring that all relevant internal procedures are followed and risk is properly measured and managed
- Take the lead on CMT to identify and manage risks associated with the implementation of Oxfams advocacy strategy and action plan.
- support the Policy Lead to ensure Oxfam's policy positions in OPTI are well-informed, fully risk-assessed and rooted in robust analysis of the context and IHL
- Work closely with in-country advocacy colleagues and strategic programme teams to ensure Oxfams overall influencing and advocacy strategy includes both national and international priorities and plans, and that the two are strategically aligned.
Programme and people management
- As Programme Manager for Oxfam in OPTIs Finance for development project take the lead on budget and activity planning for this programme, ensuring partners are closely engaged and activities are delivered on time and to a high quality standard.
- Through proactive leadership and management of line reports and team resources, and in close collaboration with other programme managers and CMT, ensure that Oxfams significant portfolio of advocacy, policy and communications work funded under the donor proposals is well designed, properly and strategically resourced, well planned and delivered on time and to a very high standard. This includes ensuring relevant staff are involved in proposal development processes and donor / internal reporting processes.
- Ensure strategic discussions on programme strategy and design include activities in line with Southern campaigning principles and approaches, and are properly assessed for risk
- Take a proactive and rigorous approach to performance management to ensure line, matrix and indirect reports are clear in what is expected of them, have strong professional development plans in place, and are well supported through Oxfam to achieve their goals
- Perform all HR tasks required of managers such as performance interviews, accepting reports of absence and recovery and passing them on to HR, meetings on frequent absence, co-ordinating and advising on the recruitment and selection procedure.
- Work closely with relevant programme and support staff to ensure that the national and international influencing department is adequately and strategically resourced.
- Contribute to Oxfams internal annual and/or quarterly planning and reporting as part of the Country Management Team;
Lobbying & networking:
- Lobby and maintain contact with diplomatic representatives and other relevant bodies based in the OPT and Israel.
- Oversee relationships with key members of Palestinian and Israeli civil society organisations working towards similar strategic advocacy goals as Oxfam, ensuring strategic approaches to achieve mutual aims as well as making sure Oxfams own strategies and priorities are driven by these key stakeholder relations
- Share information from lobby and partner meetings with key colleagues internally and Oxfam lobbyists addressing OPTI globally.
- Maintain close relations and coordinate advocacy with other international NGOs, AIDA and UN agencies in the OPT.
- support lobby trips to key capitals as necessary.
Contingency planning & emergency response:
- Working with the Humanitarian Programme Manager, Media Lead and other relevant staff, contribute to Oxfams contingency planning from policy and advocacy perspective.
- In emergency peaks, coordinate the Oxfam advocacy response;
You have / are
- Natural connector
- At least one years experience in a senior management role, with proven ability to lead large, diverse teams of people, often remotely, to achieve results
- Team player and team builder in a multi-cultural setting; ability to stimulate and coordinate teamwork. Strong facilitation and coaching skills;
- Proven experience of delivering policy, advocacy, media or campaign work which has had demonstrable impact at local, national and / or international levels;
- Proven direct experience of organisational analysis, program development and grant management;
- Proven ability to work efficiently in a fast-paced environment; to troubleshoot and follow projects through to completion, consistently on schedule, without loss of attention to detail and budget;
- Flexibility and willingness to work simultaneously on a wide range of tasks and projects and ability to prioritize tasks;
- Poised, works well under pressure and attentive to detail;
- Excellent listening and communication skills with sensitivity to cultural communication differences;
- Pleasant, diplomatic manner and disposition in interacting with senior management, and co-workers;
- Knowledge of and working experience in the region is an asset.
- Arabic language is an asset.
A competitive, fair, and comprehensive pay and benefits package that is justifiable to our donors. We offer a gross salary in the range from 3302- to 5082, - on the basis of a 40 hour working week. In addition, there is an attractive benefits package including pension, expensive country allowance, medical insurance, holiday allowance and good benefits for internationally relocated staff. In case of family posting the benefits are expanded with medical insurance for family members, school fees and child allowance. The position holder is based in East-Jerusalem and will have to travel frequently.
Applications in writing (English) with full curriculum vitae to
to the attention of Chris Eijkemans, Country Director and quoting job title before December 5th, 2017.
Due to the urgency of this recruitment applications will be reviewed as they come in.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
Oxfam is an equal opportunity organization.