Position title: Municipal Liaison Specialist
Reports to: Municipal Engagement Advisor
Location: Tetra Tech Communities Thrive Ramallah Office
The USAID/WBG Communities Thrive project will focus on 55 municipalities located in the West Bank and will aim to improve municipal revenue streams and fiscal management of local government units (LGUs), increase the accountability and transparency of local governments, enhance delivery and management of the municipal services and the effectiveness of local governments’ operations, and improve the regulatory and policy framework for municipal governance.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
This is a multidisciplinary position that will work with and support the project’s components. In close coordination with program colleagues, the Municipal Liaison Specialist (MLS) will be responsible for identifying, scoping, and providing proper follow-up and coordination for the implementation of all Municipal development activities in his/her assigned geographic area. The position provides necessary technical support needed by the targeted LGUs that are related to the project’s interventions. This position will be conducting regular field visits (both pre-scheduled and/or as requested by the Municipal Engagement Advisor) to partner LGUs in order to provide technical assistance and/or to assess and evaluate impact of relevant program activities implemented, coordinating with other program team members in collecting relevant field data for reporting implementation progress vs. planned activities. In addition, the position will be reporting to the Municipal Engagement Advisor and/or M&E Unit for regular progress reports; this includes the preparation of activities summary and full reports. Additional reports and information should be provided as requested.
MAIN RESPONSIBILITIES AND TASKS:
- Responsible for coordinating/providing technical support to improve municipal service delivery, financial management, participatory development, social accountability, and guidelines in the assigned region.
- Design and coordinate/conduct needed training to improve municipal management, financial, administrative and operational skills of targeted LGUs in coordination with supervisor and/or other colleagues or consultants.
- Coordinate/support the formulation and implementation of Municipal Budgets, plans (including strategic development and investment plans -SDIP-) and Strategies.
- Coaching and direct mentoring of municipal technical activities and management skills development.
- Maintain effective communication with LGUs and stakeholders to meet project expectations.
- Assist in improving interactions and technical operations between municipalities/LGUs, CSOs and/or private sector representatives.
- Ensure capturing and disseminations of lessons learned during project implementation in LGUs.
Quality Assurance and Reporting
- Ensure that relevant technical elements of the work plans are being successfully implemented;
- Ensure subcontractor recipients or sub-grantees meet their technical deliverables in close coordination with the Municipal Engagement Advisor and other colleagues;
- Provide inputs for the drafting of the project monthly and quarterly reports for USAID, as well as drafting other project updates and workplans as requested by the direct supervisor, the COP or DCOP;
- Support the Municipal Engagement Advisor in ensuring that USAID and Tetra Tech rules and regulations are followed and that contract deliverable requirements are met; and
- Provide support to the Monitoring and evaluation team.
Contribute to team effort by undertaking additional tasks and responsibilities as requested.
The current job description will be periodically revisited as needed to reflect current realities and project needs. Amendments can be added to that effect.
- A bachelor degree in Community Development, Economics/Accounting/Business Administration, MIS, or other Social Sciences and/or relevant fields. An MA is a plus.
- At least 5 years of experience preferably in project coordination, supervision, institutional development and/or community planning.
- Experience in designing and/or delivering/facilitating training, coaching and mentoring in general and in the local government sector related projects is a strong plus.
- Ability to perform a broad range of specialized activities in municipal governance and development.
- Experience on USAID-funded projects is a plus.
- Good experience in data collection, analysis and reporting is a preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to report in Arabic and English.
- Demonstrated ability to work with LGUs, community members and groups during different project phases. Awareness of community participation approaches in planning, implementation and monitoring is a plus.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills, ability to work with all levels and functions within the Tetra Tech company.
- Ability to work under pressure and extended working hours (when needed), ability to work independently and as part of a team, accept responsibility, and be extremely discrete with sensitive information and willingness and ability to travel to various locations in the West Bank is a must; and
- Strong computer skills. Proficient in Microsoft Office package, especially Word, Outlook, PowerPoint, SharePoint, and Excel.
Qualified applicants are encouraged to apply no later than May 23, 2018.
To be considered applicants must submit the following to [email protected]
Please clearly indicate in the subject line “Municipal Liaison Specialist”. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Applications that do not meet the minimum requirements listed above will not be considered. Please ensure that all necessary documents are included in the email, as incomplete applications and/or corrupt files may delay processing of your application or remove you from consideration. No phone calls will be accepted.
Tetra Tech is committed to diversity and gender equality in all its operations - in the U.S and overseas. We strive to reflect these goals in our global mission and in our workplace. We encourage applications from women, youth, people with disabilities and underrepresented ethnic, racial and cultural groups. Tetra Tech is proud to be an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer.