Title:Advisor, Municipal Revenue Generation
Reports to:Deputy Chief of Party
Location:Tetra Tech Communities Thrive Ramallah Office
The USAID/WBG Communities Thrive project will focus on 55 municipalities located in the West Bank and will aim, through four components, to improve municipal revenue streams and fiscal management of local government units (LGUs) (Component 1), increase the accountability and transparency of local governments (Component 2), enhance delivery and management of the municipal services and the effectiveness of local governments’ operations (Component 3), and improve the regulatory and policy framework for municipal governance (Component 4).
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
In close coordination with program colleagues, the Advisor, Municipal Revenue Generation will play a leading role in implementing the program's efforts in designing and directing municipal financial management and revenue generation efforts in the targeted municipalities under Component 1. The position will support Palestinian municipalities in the development of their financial management capacity improvement efforts, installation or upgrading of new automated financial management software systems, improvements in revenue collection efforts, the introduction and conversion to new accounting standards, and the facilitation of local economic development. The position is based in the Ramallah office with travel as needed within the West Bank.
MAIN RESPONSIBILITIES AND TASKS:
1. Responsible for managerial oversight for program delivery under Component 1 in the areas of improved accounting and financial capacity in the municipalities, improved revenue collection efforts, conversion to new accounting systems, implementation of budget preparation reforms, and establishing/strengthening local economic development.
2. In coordination with other colleagues, manage day-to-day liaison activities as needed and maintain relationships with Palestinian counterparts from Municipalities, the Ministry of Local Government, the Municipal Development and Investment fund (MDLF), the Ministry of Finance and Planning and its General Directorate of Property Tax, and implementing partners as related to accounting and financial management operations, budget management, and local economic development in the municipalities.
3. Develop and direct mentoring and training activities and skill development in financial management, budget preparation, local economic development, and revenue management activities to municipal staff.
4. Assist in developing materials for training and management skills development.
5. Lend expertise to quality assurance and quality control of related technical activities, including those of Component 1 staff.
6. Provide on the job practical training, mentoring and technical support to partner municipalities.
Quality Assurance, Management and Reporting
1. Ensure that relevant technical elements of the work plans are being successfully implemented.
2. Oversee the performance of all Component 1 staff, short-term technical assistance (STTA) technical consultants, and subcontractors.
3. Ensure subcontractor recipients meet their technical deliverables in close coordination with the DCOP and other colleagues.
4. Assist in drafting of the project monthly and quarterly reports for USAID, as well as drafting other project updates and workplans for Component 1 as requested by the COP or DCOP.
5. Support the DCOP in ensuring that USAID and Tetra Tech rules and regulations are followed and that contract deliverable requirements are met.
6. Provide support to Monitoring and evaluation team for Component 1.
Contribute to team effort by undertaking additional tasks and responsibilities as requested.
Master degree in Business Administration, Accounting, Finance, Public Policy, or related field.
1. At least 10 years of experience preferably in accounting and financial management, with a preference to experience with municipal or government accounting and budgeting. With at with at least five years’ experience with USAID projects
2. At least 7 years of managerial and supervisory experience, including direct supervision and performance evaluation of staff.
3. Demonstrated ability to interact regularly and professionally with senior host- government, local government and private sector counterparts on policy and other strategic planning issues.
4. Experience on donor funding project including USAID-funded projects is highly preferred.
1. Requires an ability to lead and manage work of a team, accept responsibility, and be extremely discrete with sensitive information.
2. Must be able to foster a supportive working relationship among staff as part of oversight responsibilities of Component 1.
3. Must be able to foster supportive working relationship among all staff including being an active member of the management team.
4. Strong computer skills. Proficient in Microsoft Office package, especially Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, SharePoint, and Word; and Fluent in Arabic, excellent English speaking and writing skills.
5. Very strong communication and interpersonal skills, ability to work with all levels and functions within the company.
LANGUAGES: Excellent English language skills (both written and spoken); fluency in Arabic.
Qualified applicants are encouraged to apply no later than Sunday March 11, 2018
To be considered applicants must submit the following to
1. Cover Letter explaining why you are interested and qualified for this position.
2. CV in reverse chronological format demonstrating your relevant qualifications.
3. Salary history for three years in $US.
4. A list of at least 3 professional references including name, contact information, and statement of relationship to the reference.
Please clearly indicate in the subject line “Advisor, Municipal Revenue Generation”. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Applications that do not meet the minimum requirements listed above will not be considered. Please ensure that all necessary documents are included in the email, as incomplete applications and/or corrupt files may delay processing of your application or remove you from consideration. No phone calls will be accepted.
Position Description (PD) – Communities Thrive – Advisor, Municipal Revenue Generation