Médecins du Monde (MdM) France is an international medical organization, which has been present in the Palestinian territory since 1995. It operates in the Gaza Strip and the West Bank (WB) through offices located in Jerusalem, Bir Zeit-Ramallah, Gaza and Nablus.
MdM is currently looking for a qualified candidate to fill the position of Mental Health Advisor – Palestine Mission.
Number of vacancies: 1
Duration: 1 year with possibility to be extended
Start date: Dec 1st, 2023.
Location: Bir Zeit -Ramallah -West Bank (with regular field visits (50 – 75 %) to all program sites).
- The MHPSS Advisor, under the hierarchical supervision of the Medical Coordinator and in close coordination with the Field coordinators and the Programs Grant Officer, shall design, plan, adapt and monitor programmers’ MHPSS activities.
- To ensure the quality and relevance of MHPSS activities, practices, and data.
- To train, technical supervise, and support the MHPSS managers in West Bank and Gaza as MDM partners.
- To provide leadership to and oversee the technical strategy of MdM MHPSS teams, consolidating MdM's MHPSS positioning and vision.
- Hierarchical link: Medical Coordinator.
- Functional link: HQ MHPSS Referent.
- Team under his/her technical supervision: MHPSS manager.
- S/he works closely with the full coordination team including:
- Field coordinators (Gaza, WB)
- Advocacy Coordinator
- Program Grants Officer
- S/he works in close collaboration with the Field MHPSS Teams in particular:
- Consortium Managers
- MHPSS Managers
- Meal Officers
- Ensure quality implementation and monitoring of the MHPSS programs.
- Lead technically the MHPSS program teams and participate in health-MHPSS needs assessments to ensure the quality and results of the assessments.
- Prepare reports for planned needs assessment in coordination with other program team members.
- Support technically the MHPSS program teams in each base in designing, planning and implementation of the MHPSS project’s activities.
- Design, develop and review training manuals, training tools and supervision tools in line with national or international guidelines.
- Monitor the implementation of the MHPSS programs on timeliness and quality and ensure compliance with the objectives set in MdM Strategy and project proposals.
- Overview the performance indicators defined, signals any difficulties encountered in project implementation; In the event of significant delays or inadequate quality in project implementation, s/he immediately discusses with the medical coordinator and Field Coordinators and proposes solutions for adjustments or improvements.
- Overview the availability of proper collection and recording of the data, including the verification sources, data collection and reporting system. Develop and implement evaluation and reporting systems; supervise and monitor data collection processes, and together with the Medco, lead the analysis of the medical data on a regular basis and set up corrective measures in case of need. Extract lessons learned and best practices and lead the adaptation that should take place, according to it.
- Participate in the development and review of the different MHPSS resources, tools and brochures, adapt them if needed.
- Develop and design MHPSS standards, protocols and good practices, review and adapt them when needed.
- Elaborate a comprehensive MHPSS service mapping, with the support of the MHPSS program managers; Support in ensuring the integration of the different existing and planned additional components of the program (mental health and psychosocial support, medical, GBV, SRH and community activities, etc.).
- Ensure internal coherence and harmony throughout all the MHPSS projects of the mission.
- Review the internal reports from the program teams for the MHPSS component, including relevant program indicators, activities implemented, trainings given, assessments undertaken in the field and provide feedback and guidance to the teams.
- Prepare with the Medical coordinator the technical monthly reports (sitreps), respecting internal deadlines.
- Collaborate with other MHPSS programs of MdM in the region LACMENA.
- Technical supervision and support of MHPSS program staff
- Keep abreast of the relevant international and national guidelines on MHPSS and ensure that these are understood and complied with by the teams.
- Ensures up to date job descriptions for the members of the MHPSS team.
- Participate actively in the recruitment (interviews, tests, etc.) for MHPSS staff.
- Supervise and guide technical MHPSS staff, including setting objectives, in coordination with the line managers in the field.
- Provide mentorship and capacity building to MHPSS managers.
- Plan regular supervision visits in the field ensuring all MDM MHPSS staff receive adequate technical supervision.
- Participate in the annual performance reviews for MHPSS managers, in coordination with the Field Coordinators.
- Support MHPSS managers to conduct the annual performance reviews of MHPSS teams and contribute when relevant.
- Identify training needs for MHPSS staff and other MdM staff for MHPSS topics and provide organizational and technical support for training.
- Share identified training needs and general concerns of MHPSS teams to HR Manager.
- Hold regular team meetings with MHPSS managers and ensure the proper flow of information within the MHPSS team. Reinforce good dynamics in the team, collaboration, and teamwork.
- Ensure logistical and administrative support to the program.
- Under request of the MHPSS Managers, contributes to analyzing technical bids made by suppliers for purchases for MHPSS program.
- Under request of the MHPSS Managers, participates in monthly financial forecast for planned MHPSS program activities.
- Ensure the representation of MDM to other actors.
- Represent MdM and ensure good relations are maintained with stakeholders consistent with the principles of neutrality and independence of MDM, including local authorities, MoH, and other NGOs.
- Attend coordination meetings on relevant MHPSS matters and any other external meetings delegated by the direct supervisor / General Coordinator.
- Network with other MHPSS actors and organizations
- Contribute to the development of new proposals.
- Participate in identifying MHPSS-related needs in coordination with the Program Grant Officer Medical Coordinator, Field Coordinator team and MHPSS Managers.
- Collaborate with the Program Grant Officer, for the preparation of project proposals and donor report writing based on pre-identified MHPSS needs, respecting internal deadlines.
- Participate in the strategy development of the mission and ensure the MHPSS strategy implementation.
- Participate actively in grant opening meetings, program review meetings and closure and assessment meetings.
This list of activities is not exhaustive and may change depending on needs and changes in programs.
For more than 40 years, Médecins du Monde, a campaigning medical organization committed to international solidarity, has been caring for the most vulnerable populations at home and abroad. It has continued to highlight obstacles that exist in accessing health care and has secured sustainable improvements in health-for-all policies.
Those working for this independent organization do not solely dispense care and treatment but condemn violations of human dignity and rights and fight to improve matters for populations living in precarious situations.
MdM currently works in more than 30 countries across all continents where it focuses on 5 priority areas: emergency and crisis, sexual and reproductive health, harm reduction, migrants and displaced populations (health rights), health and environment.
MdM strategy in Palestine focuses on 2 pillars: Emergency Preparedness and Response (EPREP) and Sexual & Reproductive Health and Rights (SRHR), with two cross-cutting topics: Mental Health & Psychosocial Support (MHPSS) and gender mainstreaming.
In MHPSS, MdM intervention in the Palestine is focused on provision of MHPSS emergency response activities following critical incidents related to occupation, local partners capacity building and MHPSS integration at Ministry of Health (MOH) Primary Health Care Centers (PHCCs).
جميع الحقوق محفوظة لموقع جوبس.
- Psychiatrist or Clinical Psychologist with complementary training relevant to MHPSS humanitarian programs, gender, gender-based violence, child protection, etc.
- Project Management training
- At least 3 years relevant professional experience in similar roles in humanitarian programs
- At least 2 years’ experience in supervision of MHPSS staff and capacity building for health teams, at PHCC and/or community programs
- Experience in remote management and post emergency
- Experience in participating in program planning, needs assessments, interagency coordination, proposal writing is an asset.
Skills and qualities required
- Capacity building skills
- Supportive management style (experience managing and supervising staff)
- Good report writing skills
- Confident and proficient in the use of MS Office
Required personal skills
- Independence, ability to take initiative and responsibility.
- Ability to work under stressful situations
- Good analytical skills
- Anticipation and adaptability
- Strong problem solving and organizational skills in day to day and crisis situations
- Ability to plan, organize, priorities and meet deadlines
- Ability to classify and to manage priorities
- Adaptability to changing priorities
- Listening and diplomacy skills
- Good people and communication skills
- Ability to manage remotely when needed
- Team spirit
- Trustworthiness and rigor
Flexibility, and able to adjust to changing context and situation.
- English: Fluent
- Arabic: an asset
Deadline for receiving the application is Monday the 16th of October 2023
MdM will review the CVs upon its reception on a rolling basis and will recruit the qualified one as soon as the suitable candidate is identified, without distinction ethnic background or gender.
Please note that MdM will contact only pre-selected candidates and by email.
We thank all candidates for their interest in a position with MdM