Consultant/ Providing Capacity Building for Teacher
Providing Capacity Building for Teachers in the Determination Schools in Palestine
Deadline for submission: 13 March 2020
Children in many part of the State of Palestine continue to face obstacles to access and continued participation due to restrictions of movement, settler harassments; threats and attacks on schools; arbitrary detention; poor infrastructure; lack of classrooms or prolonged hospitalization. The teaching methodologies that are teacher-centred and theory-based, and priorities memorization and root learning challenge quality over practical and critical thinking skills. Furthermore, teaching is not tailored to the range of abilities of students and as a result, much is still needed to address the challenges to delivering quality inclusive education in Palestine to ensure access and participation.
Within the framework of the ECW MULTI-YEAR PROGRAMME FOR THE STATE OF PALESTINE,, outcome 1: “Improved access to and continuity of inclusive, equitable and gender responsive education and learning opportunities for girls and boys (4-17 years old)”, implementing partners agreed to address vulnerable groups including children who are hospitalized for prolonged time.
Recognizing that children who are hospitalized for prolonged periods of time are at significant risk of falling behind in their studies, the MOE has begun to focus on this group of children through structured and inclusive education interventions to ensure their access to education. In 2018, MOE opened four schools, called determination schools, in Muttala’ (Augusta Victoria) Hospital in Jerusalem, AlMaqased Hospital in Jerusalem, AnNajjah Hospital in Nablus and Palestine Medical Complex in Ramallah. They serve children from West Bank, East Jerusalem and Gaza. Support to teacher training and resources in these schools, however, is needed to ensure that the quality of teaching and learning in these facilities is maintained.
UNESCO Ramallah Office and the Contractor have entered into this contract in order to perform tasks to conduct capacity building for teachers in determination schools in Palestine.
Under an overall supervision of the Head of Office, direct supervision of the Head of the Education Unit and coordination of Sr. Education Officer, the contractor will perform the following work assignments:
- Conduct meeting with the Ministry of Education and UNESCO to agree on the methodology and timeframe.
- Draft t a workplan.
- Develop a teacher guide on essential (cognitive, socio-emotional and behavioral) skills to be taught to the hospitalized students especially for children grades1-10, in close consultation with ECW partners and MOE.
- Provide capacity building for teachers from the four determination schools on inclusive education approaches and pedagogy, based on the guide developed under point 3.
- Provide catch up courses for students in their subject matter as needed.
Deliverables and Timeline
Deliverables and Timeline:
- By 15 March – submit the workplan for developing the manual and training and an outline for the manual.
- By 20 March - submit the first draft of the teacher guide
- By 10 April – submit progress report and the final draft of the guide, taking into consideration the feedback from UNESCO, MOE and other ECW partners.
- By 30 April - complete training for all teachers in four determination schools and submit photos, videos, success stories and news items related to training
- By 10 May - submit the final narrative report, including challenges and results achieved, and financial reports
جميع الحقوق محفوظة لموقع جوبس.
Individuals applying for the consultancy position or interested institutions are expected to assign experts for the project with the following qualifications:
- Advanced University degree (Masters or equivalent) in Education or social science. Focus on inclusive education would be an advantage.
- At least 5 years of proven work experience in the field of education, inclusive education, disability or teacher training
- Excellent verbal and writing skills in English and Arabic
- Ability to work with minimal supervision
By the deadline date of 13 March 2020, please submit ALL of the above via email to: [email protected]
Including the subject: ED: Providing Capacity Building for Teachers in the Determination Schools in Palestine
- Cover letter
- A proposal (2-3 pages) for the activity (including methodology, time-line and budget quoted in US dollars, according to the outputs/deliverables foreseen)
- CV’s of the consultant and any team members indicating prior experience in Inclusive education with references of prior similar assignments.
- Statement confirming that the consultancy or consultant holds a valid bank account in the name indicated on the bid document.
Incomplete or missing information or documentation and evidence of experience as requested above, may exclude you from further consideration.