The British Government is an inclusive and diversity-friendly employer. We value difference, promote equality and challenge discrimination, enhancing our organisational capability. We welcome and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds. We do not discriminate on the basis of disability, race, colour, ethnicity, gender, religion, sexual orientation, age, veteran status or other category protected by law. We promote family-friendly flexible working opportunities, where operational and security needs allow.
Foreign and Commonwealth Office (Policy & Political roles)
Job Description (Roles and Responsibilities)
The British Consulate General in Jerusalem is seeking an individual for the position of Programmes Officer, Grade – B3 (L).
Purpose of the job:
This is an exciting position overseeing delivery and management of the British Consulate General in Jerusalem’s political and economic programmes. Based in the Consulate’s programme Team, which implements programmes totalling around 9 million pounds per year, the successful candidate will directly manage UK projects worth almost nine hundred thousand pounds.
Duties and responsibilities:
- Management of a programme of political and economic projects, including managing implementing partners, monitoring and evaluation, ensuring value for money, risk management, and communications
- Identifying, recommending, and implementing improvements so that projects deliver the greatest possible benefits for the Occupied Palestinian Territories and the UK
- Scrutiny of financial information received from implementers, and resolving problems to ensure effective spending
- Organising and attending project-related events, encouraging experience sharing between project partners, and staying abreast of relevant political and economic developments
- Coordinating with other donors and the international community, and engagement with key official and civil society stakeholders
- Persuasive engagement with British Consulate General and UK Government colleagues to ensure the successful delivery of the programme
- Respond flexibly and actively to evolving priorities and needs
Key Competences Required for the Job:
- Delivering Value for Money - The efficient, effective and economic use of taxpayers’ money in the delivery of public services. Seeking out and implementing solutions which achieve the best mix of quality and effectiveness for the least outlay.
- Collaborating and Partnering - People skilled in this area create and maintain positive, professional and trusting working relationships with a wide range of people within and outside the organisation to help get business done.
- Making Effective Decisions - Effectiveness in this area is about being objective; using sound judgment, evidence and knowledge to provide accurate, expert and professional advice.
- Leading and Communicating - Effectiveness in this area is about leading from the front and communicating with clarity, conviction and enthusiasm.
It’s about supporting principles of fairness of opportunity for all and a dedication to a diverse range of citizens.
Essential qualifications and experience
- Excellent oral and written English
- Minimum two years’ experience of successfully delivering programmes/projects in an international political/development context, preferably in a bilateral or multilateral aid agency
- Candidates should be highly organised and able to work in a diverse, high-performing environment.
- Strong interpersonal skills and an ability to build productive working relations with project implementers and wider stakeholders
- Proven ability to take responsibility for own work, with a track record as a team player
- Strong analytical and decision-making skills are required to deliver projects in a dynamic environment
- Experience of managing budgets and working with financial information.
- Literacy in Microsoft Office packages.
Desirable qualifications and experience
- Arabic written and oral skills
- Knowledge of politics and society in the Occupied Palestinian Territories
Making Effective Decisions, Leading and Communicating, Collaborating and Partnering, Delivering Value for Money
Application deadline Application deadline - day Application deadline - month Application deadline - year
18 October 2017
Grade : B3 (L)
Type of Position : Fixed Term, Full-time
Working hours per week :38
Region : Middle East & North Africa
Location (City) :Jerusalem
Type of Post :British Consulate General
Number of vacancies :1
Start Date : 20 November 2017
Other benefits and conditions of employment
The position is full-time, fixed term at 38 hours a week with considerations of flexibility depending on circumstances.
This position is valid until the end of the current financial year on 31 March 2018 only. It is expected that a similar programme portfolio will continue in the next financial year, but it is not guaranteed. If the job holder’s contract is extended, flexibility will be required as the programmes team restructure.
- The successful candidate must hold, or be able to secure, a local work permit.
- The successful candidate must be able to travel around the West Bank and to the Consulate building in East Jerusalem.
Interested candidates must attach the following documents when applying online.
- A covering letter.
- An updated Curriculum Vitae (CV).
** (Your application must include examples of when you have demonstrated the competencies outlined above in the cover letter or motivation section in the application form. Applications that do not include this information will be rejected).
All applications must be received before 23:55 (Local Time) on 18 October 2017.
Applications received after the stated deadline will not be considered.
Due to the large amount of applications we receive only those shortlisted for assessment/interview will be contacted.
The start date mentioned in the advert is an assumed start date and the successful candidate will be required to undergo security vetting procedures. Any offer of employment will be subject to the candidate achieving suitable clearances and reference checks.
The British Consulate General is an equal opportunities employer, dedicated to inclusivity, a diverse workforce and valuing difference. Staffs recruited locally by the British Consulate General are subject to Terms and Conditions of service according to local employment law.