Mental health manager (M/F) Palestinian territories - Nablus
from Médecins du Monde
Closing date: 21 Aug 2017
For more than 30 years, Médecins du Monde, a campaigning medical organization committed to international solidarity, has been caring for the most vulnerable populations at home and abroad. It has continued to highlight obstacles that exist in accessing health care and has secured sustainable improvements in health-for-all policies. Those working for this independent organization do not solely dispense care and treatment but condemn violations of human dignity and rights and fight to improve matters for populations living in precarious situations. MdM currently works in 44 countries across all continents where it focuses on 4 priority areas: caring for the health of migrants and displaced persons, promoting sexual and reproductive health, harm reduction associated with drug use, emergencies and crisis. MdM strategy in Palestine focus on 3 topics: Mental Health & Psychosocial Support (MHPSS), Sexual & Reproductive Health (SRH) and Emergency Preparedness (EPP), being MHPSS a crosscutting issue to all of them and with a transversal advocacy component.
MdM has worked in SRH since 2014, while in West-Bank an exploratory mission has just been finalized and an intervention identified. The intervention consists in facilitating access to SRH services, especially family planning and post abortion care.
In Gaza, MdM is working to strength the local capacities to respond to medical emergencies.
MdM is one of the main actors in the North West Bank where it is the co-chair of the MHPSS sub working group with UNICEF and active member in Gaza.
The projects cover different issues:
-MHPSS Emergency Response after critical incidents related to the occupation
-MHPSS integration in Primary Health Care Centre (PHC), and Community Mental Health Centre (CMHC)
-Reinforcing MHPSS provider’s capacities.**
TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
As the mental health manager your main responsibility will be to manage and supervise MDM MHPSS (Mental Health and Psychosocial Support) team and program ensuring a quality implementation of MHPSS projects in accordance with MDM strategy for MHPSS.
As the mental health manager you will:
- Participate to the preparation of MHPSS plans, to adjust MdM activities and MHPSS resources to the needs
- Conduct MHPSS needs assessments and diagnosis
- Contribute to the drafting of MdM MHPSS strategy and activities’ proposals for donors
- Contribute to the advocacy strategy, design and implementation
- Ensure the quality implementation of MHPSS program and its follow-up in its different aspects: logistical, administrative and technical
- Capitalize on tools, protocols and guidelines produced on the project - quality / M&E (monitoring and evaluation)
- In cooperation with the medical coordinator, make proposals for re-orientation of the programmers and the MHPSS framework of the mission, according to the situation on the field Assess MHPSS needs of the communities and provide regular updates of the MHPSS main trends and stakeholders
- Plan, implement, monitor and evaluate MHPSS activities implemented directly by MdM France staff /or indirectly through Partners
- Keep and improve and follow up a referral system for MHPSS cases
- Assess needs of training for MdM staff and partners, organize and/or provide trainings accordingly
- Responsible of training events related to MHPSS (group training sessions, refreshment courses, on-the-job training, workshops and other scientific events)
Data Collection, reporting, Monitoring and Evaluation
- Systematize the collection and filing of health and MHPSS data from external sources (MoH, other NGOs, WHO etc.) in coordination with the medical coordinator
- Ensure the qualitative and quantitative data collection and its proper analysis and produce related summaries on a monthly basis
- Participate actively in the writing of donor’s reports and proposals
- Provide program operational reports based on the request of the field coordinator
- Contribute to the program data analysis in collaboration with the medical coordinator and the field coordinator
- Responsible for conducting annual appraisals of all staff under his direct supervision
- Responsible for follow up and approval of working hours and leaves of the team under his/her direct supervision
- Participate in the recruitment and briefing of new Mental Health program staff
- Supervise HR daily management for program staff
- Supervise the project team in charge of the daily technical supervision and management of the MHPSS staff in the base
- Financial Management
- Participate in the annual and projects budget construction as well as any required revision
- Forecast the monthly financial needs of the projects and share with the admin manager in the first week of each month
- Logistic Management
- Participate in the annual and projects procurement plan as well as any required revision
- Forecast the monthly logistic needs of the projects and share with the logistic manager during the first week of each month.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
Status : Employee
Contract : Fixed-term contract
Duration : 12 months
Position to be filled as soon as possible.
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE NEEDED:
An advanced degree in clinical psychology, or in any other relevant field (Bachelor Major in Psychology or Master/Specialization in Clinical psychology)
Valuable experience in training and supervising social workers and psychologists (at least 3 years)
Experience of counseling/psychological support/psychotherapy in MHPSS situations with people affected by conflicts (at least 2 years)
Experience related to psychosocial/psychological assessment
Experience in Community Psycho-education
Previous work experience with international organizations
Strong communication and facilitation skills
Human Resources management skills
Program planning, budgeting and monitoring skills
Ability to work under pressure and tight deadlines
Reporting and proposal writing skills
Context and cultural knowledge
Excellent English (both written and spoken)
Arabic is an asset
You are committed to MdM’s values as an organization and motivated by its non-statutory, NFP model.
TELEPHONE APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED
Médecins du Monde reserves the right to fill the vacancy before the closing date for applications.
MdM stands up for the integration of people living with disabilities and fights against discrimination.
HOW TO APPLY:
Qualified applicants are invited to send their resume or CV and a one-page cover letter in English, by e-mail to
Please reference the job title as MDM/MHM/2017 in the subject line of your e-mail.