The Productivity and Urban Renewal in East Jerusalem
The Arab Chamber of Commerce and Industry/Jerusalem – Beit- Hanina
The Arab Chamber of Commerce and Industry (ACoCI) was established in 1936 in Jerusalem for supporting the industry and commercial activities, with a vision of strengthening the Palestinian economy in the City, revitalizing Jerusalemite identity and supporting Palestinian economy at large through expanding the members’ base of traders and industrialists, defending their rights and regulating their work, as well as encouraging investments for creating enabling environment for improving business productivity.
The Productivity and Urban Renewal in East Jerusalem (PURE) Programme, implemented by UNDP/PAPP and funded by the European Union and the Islamic Development Bank, aims at supporting the resilience of Palestinians residing in East Jerusalem, by improving their socio-economic conditions, through urban revitalization of two key commercial centres in the city, namely Salah Eddin and Sultan Suleiman streets. The programme also intends to foster economic development and encourage private sector investment in the two centres, especially through retailing and tourism. It will create an enabling environment for competitive and attractive commercial opportunities, support productivity, and foster social cohesion and cultural heritage. It is anticipated that over 120 commercial and 50 business activities will directly benefit from the programme, including 350-400 businesspersons and workers. Approximately 16,000 work days will also be generated throughout the implementation of the programme interventions, especially in infrastructure
The Arab Chamber of Commerce & Industry – Jerusalem (ACoCI) is the main national counterpart to UNDP, EU and IsDB in this strategic initiative, and is considered one of the central partners to ensure the sustainability, scaling up and successful replication of this urban revitalization model in other areas of the city. Consequently, the ACoCI will be actively engaged in supporting the implementation of activities, especially in the areas pertaining to business development support and legal assistance to the targeted enterprises. More specifically ACoCI will guide the following areas:
- Providing business development services to existing businesses, and potential start-ups;
- Promoting strategic public-private partnerships relevant to the two centres (Culture, tourism, youth & women empowerment can be promising areas for public-private cooperation).
- Providing or facilitating legal aid and financial services to targeted businesses (this may also benefit other businesses in the city). This could be achieved through availing a legal clinic-like function to provide finance, legal and tax-related support services and advice to shop owners. Providing or facilitating legal support for urban planning; expansion and problem-solving. This can also include the development of a legal clinic-like approach to attend to matters related to urban planning and issuance of construction licenses and approvals.
In this context, the ACoCI is seeking one candidate to fill the position of “Project Manager” to facilitate the implementation of project components related to legal and business development as well as the business community targeted by the Programme. The Project Manager shall work under the overall guidance of the Director of the ACoCI, and the direct supervision of the Program Manager. The expected duration for the position is Ten-months on service contract, with possibility for extension upon satisfactory performance as well as availability of funding under the project.
- Manage and coordinate project activities, from substantive, administrative and financial points of view, applying strategic planning and systematic coordination of project activities.
- Manage day-to-day project implementation and overall coordination of project outcomes.
- Coordinate internal resources and third parties/vendors for the flawless execution of projects.
- Ensure that all projects are delivered on-time, within scope and within budget.
- Develop project scopes and objectives, involving all relevant stakeholders and ensuring technical feasibility.
- Ensure resource availability and allocation.
- Develop a detailed project plan to track progress.
- Use appropriate verification techniques to manage changes in project scope, schedule and costs.
- Measure project performance using appropriate systems, tools and techniques
- Report and escalate to management as needed
- Manage the relationship with the client and all stakeholders
- Perform risk management to minimize project risks
- Establish and maintain relationships with third parties/vendors
- Create and maintain comprehensive project documentation requirements
- Solid NGO background, with understanding or hands-on experience.
- Prepare progress reports, revised budgets, financial reports, and action plans as needed.
Personal and Functional Competencies:
- Excellent client-facing and internal communication skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Solid organizational skills including attention to detail and multi-tasking skills
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office
- Knowledge of the issues in the relevant area
- Proven ability to draft, edit and produce written proposals and results-focus reports
- Proven experience working with Government, civil society, international organizations and donors
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.)
Master degree or equivalent in international development, social sciences, public administration or another relevant field. A Bachelor's degree with minimum of seven-year experience.
Work Experience: Relevant work experience and Managerial experience in the field of development cooperation including in grant management
Languages: Arabic fluent, English very good. (Working Knowledge in Hebrew language would be an asset).
Please send applications (CV and cover letter) in English to the following email addresses: [email protected] before the closing date 5/7/2018. The Title of the email should be 'Project Manager'.
Only Jerusalem ID holder' applications are accepted