Al-Haq is an independent Palestinian non-governmental human rights organisation based in Ramallah, West Bank. Established in 1979 to protect and promote human rights and the rule of law in the Occupied Palestinian Territory (OPT), the organisation has special consultative status with the United Nations Economic and Social Council.
Al-Haq documents violations of the individual and collective rights of Palestinians in the OPT, irrespective of the identity of the perpetrator, and seeks to end such breaches by way of advocacy before national and international mechanisms and by holding the violators accountable. The organisation conducts research; prepares reports, studies and interventions on breaches of international human rights and humanitarian law in the OPT; and undertakes advocacy before local, regional and international bodies. Al-Haq also cooperates with Palestinian civil society organisations and governmental institutions in order to ensure that international human rights standards are reflected in Palestinian law and policies. The organisation has a specialised international law library for the use of its staff and the local community.
Al-Haq is the West Bank affiliate of the International Commission of Jurists - Geneva, and is a member of the Euro-Mediterranean Human Rights Network (EMHRN), the World Organisation Against Torture (OMCT), the International Federation for Human Rights (FIDH), Habitat International Coalition (HIC), the Palestinian NGO Network (PNGO), and the Palestinian Human Rights Organisations Council (PHROC).
The Media and Communications Officer will be working at Alhaq office based in Ramallah. With the objective of assuring smooth and effective communication with all external stakeholders, and maximize the quantity and quality of international and national media coverage of Al-Haq and its work, through pitching reports, op-eds and arranging media interviews for Al-Haq staff, and help conduct targeted advocacy towards national and international audiences across a range of thematic issues.
The successful candidate will also help organize meetings and events with ministers, parliamentarians, policy-makers and journalists, as well as help organize press conferences and advocacy events, in cooperation with Al-Haq's Legal Research and Advocacy Department which carries out its advocacy on national and international levels, and the Monitoring and Documentation Department.
The Media and Communications Officer will be responsible for all communication matters, including but not limited to drafting and/or circulating press releases, Al-Haq’s website, updating stakeholders through various communication channels (e.g. newsletters), as well as the area of social media. He/she will perform the following duties:
- Understand Al-Haq objectives, goals and environment;
- Identify communications needs based on relevant research and benchmarking;
- Develop a communication strategy, and a corresponding implementation plan, outlining planned activities, needed resources, and timeframes; in coordination and cooperation with relevant departments;
- Design and coordinate awareness and advocacy campaigns targeting various stakeholders and assist the donors in their public relation activities related to the projects;
- Administer, maintain, update and improve the website and the social media channels;
- Ensure all relevant activities are communicated through appropriate channels on a timely basis;
- Produce promotional material which may include print, electronic, new media and other material to implement the organisation’s communication strategy;
- Collect all work related press releases, newspaper articles, video clips, etc. and prepare a press book on a quarterly basis;
- Explore the social media sphere to promote human rights, accountability and the work of Al-Haq;
- Draft and/or circulate press releases for different activities, events, and occasions, and share with key contacts, including media outlets
- Design and regularly update the monthly newsletter and facilitate the distribution to relevant stakeholders;
- Proofread and revise communications as requested;
- Track relevant political and policy developments;
- Take calls from journalists and assist with media queries;
- Help build close relationships with Palestine-based journalists and media outlets;
- Maintain and regularly update Al-Haq’s communications database;
- Monitor media coverage of Al-Haq, locally and internationally.
- Translate or proofread translated media materials when necessary.
جميع الحقوق محفوظة لموقع جوبس.
- Respect for diversity and gender equality.
- Results orientation;
- Planning and organising;
- Communication and trust;
- Team orientation;
- Organisational development and innovation;
- Time management.
Minimum Organisational Requirements
Advanced university degree in communication/public relations/journalism/political science/international law/human rights - minimum at Bachelor level.
Technical and Functional Experience:
- More than 3 years of professional experience in the field of communications, advocacy, and public relations;
- Unflagging attention to detail, flexibility, and strong organisational skills are required;
- Knowledge and experience of working in an international environment would be an asset;
- Ability to complete tasks with minimal supervision and work independently is required;
- Ability to multitask and prioritize work in response to changing project deadlines and staff needs;
- Demonstrated interest in human rights and the work of non-governmental organisations;
- Computer skills, including: Internet, e-mail, MS Office applications (including MS Outlook), web administration, MailChimp; and basic knowledge of Adobe Photoshop, Adobe InDesign, and Adobe Premiere or Final Cut Pro;
- Photography and videography;
- Ability to use and utilise social media (new media) tools: Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Medium, etc.
Fluency in written and spoken Arabic and English is required.
Please submit a cover letter, curriculum vitae, 2 brief writing samples in English and Arabic (unedited by others), and contact information for three references before 19 January 2019 to: [email protected]
Please use “Media and Communications Officer” as the subject of your email.
Only complete applications will be reviewed and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Al-Haq is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate in its hiring practices.