Al-Haq is an independent Palestinian non-governmental human rights organization based in Ramallah, West Bank. Established in 1979 to protect and promote human rights and the rule of law in the Occupied Palestinian Territory (OPT), the organization has special consultative status with the United Nations Economic and Social Council.
Al-Haq documents violations of the individual and collective rights of Palestinians in the OPT, irrespective of the identity of the perpetrator, and seeks to end such breaches by way of advocacy before national and international mechanisms and by holding the violators accountable. Al-Haq conducts research; prepares reports, studies and interventions on breaches of international human rights and humanitarian law in the OPT; and undertakes advocacy before local, regional and international bodies. Al-Haq also cooperates with Palestinian civil society organizations and governmental institutions in order to ensure that international human rights standards are reflected in Palestinian law and policies. The organization has a specialized international law library for the use of its staff and the local community.
Al-Haq is the winner of the 2018 Human Rights Prize of the French Republic and the West Bank affiliate of the International Commission of Jurists - Geneva and is a member of the International Network for Economic, Social and Cultural Rights (ESCR-Net), the Euro-Mediterranean Human Rights Network (EMHRN), the World Organization Against Torture (OMCT), the International Federation for Human Rights (FIDH), Habitat International Coalition (HIC), the Palestinian Human Rights Organizations Council (PHROC), and the Palestinian NGO Network (PNGO).
About the position:
The Senior Development Officer will be stationed at Al-Haq’s office in Ramallah. The role of the Senior Development officer, includes, but is not limited to drafting proposals for fundraising, narrative reports, and written responses to requests from partner organizations or donor agencies. The Senior Development officers works closely with the Development Officer and under the direct supervision of the Head of Strategic Outreach and Communication, and will work in the cooperation with other Head of Departments. The incumbent will manage donors’ relations together with the General Director and provide the necessary support to enhance the work and strategic communication of Al-Haq.
Programmatic and Administrative tasks:
- Responsible for supervision of the development work; finalization of proposals for project and programmatic support;
- Participate in Al-Haq’s Program Committee;
- Provide strategic and technical advice to senior management team around opportunities for grant-based funding;
- Ensure rights-based approach and mainstreaming gender in programming of Al-Haq;
- Support the development and implementation of strategies and other organizational capacity building activities in coordination with the direct supervisor, head of departments and Administration;
- Ensure the implementation of project and program activities in accordance with grant agreements in coordination with the program committee;
- Lead in the development and dissemination of Al-Haq’s organizational narrative reports;
- Contribute to organizational planning and strategy development;
- Support head of departments with the development of annual planning and in coordination with the financial department;
- Monitor strategy implementation and annual plans of departments;
- Support in development internal documents and policies when needed.
Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) tasks:
- Oversee the monitoring and evaluation of core, program, and project activities for the organization in line with strategic and annual action plans;
- Institutionalize the development of necessary tools to be used for M&E and for collecting the information related to project and program outputs, outcomes, and impacts to ensure compliance with grant agreements;
- Supervise the monitoring of grant expenditures where necessary, in coordination with the head of departments, and Finance Director;
- Manage grant-based reporting in line with agreements and in coordination with the Finance Director;
- Oversee the collection of information needed to evaluate the progress of grant implementation;
Donor and Strategic Communication tasks:
- Responsible for the management of donor and partner relationships and maintaining open communication;
- Pursue opportunities for networking and partnerships, including convening relevant meetings with potential funders;
- Ensure the dissemination of relevant materials and information to donors and partners;
- Lead the implementation of biannual briefings for partners;
- Initiate strategic communications with partners, networks and coalitions in line with the overall work of Al-Haq;
- Support Head of the Strategic Outreach and Communication Department when necessary.
- Support in the development of communication material for Al-Haq when necessary.
The employee will remain available to participate in any of Al-Haq’s other activities as needed, or in an area of the employee’s interest, dependent on the workload entailed by the employee’s primary responsibilities. This description is not exhaustive, and the post holder may be required to undertake duties that are broadly in line with the above responsibilities.
جميع الحقوق محفوظة لموقع جوبس.
Master degree in Development studies, social studies or any related field.
Project Management Professional certification or equivalent is desired. Experience in managing programs/Projects including fundraising and monitoring and evaluation.
- At least three years of professional experience in fundraising and proposal writing;
- Demonstrated ability in securing grants and from states, unions, corporations, foundations, individuals and other private funding sources;
- Demonstrated ability in planning and implementing long- and short-range development initiatives in conjunction with strategic planning processes;
- Ability to conduct research, gather data, analyze information, and prepare effective, accurate, and timely reports and other documents to support development objectives;
- Ability to manage a wide range of projects with various departments and track activities implementation;
- Ability to exercise good judgment and to demonstrate an understanding of ethics related to development activities, and to use discretion in interactions with donors, partners, and team members;
- Demonstrated organizational skills and experience in managing events and other complex activities in support of development and or communication objectives;
- Ability to foster highly effective working relationships within a team environment;
- Community relations skills and the ability to communicate and work effectively within a diverse community;
- Program planning and leadership skills;
- Highly developed verbal and written communication skills and the ability to present effectively to small and large groups in both English and Arabic;
- Demonstrated interest in human rights and the work of non-governmental organizations;
- Demonstrated standards of following human rights values across work relation.
- Adherence to the work culture and code of ethics at Al-Haq.
- Attention to detail, flexibility, and strong organizational skills;
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and the ability to interact effectively with colleagues and partners;
- Ability to complete tasks with minimal supervision and work independently while maintaining a line of communication with the needed team members, especially when making decisions;
- Ability to multitask and prioritize work in response to deadlines and organizational needs;
Computer skills, including: Internet, e-mail, MS Office applications (including MS Outlook);
Fluency in written and spoken Arabic and English is required. No exception.
Additional languages such as German, French, Spanish are and asset.
- Respect for diversity, gender equality and human rights values.
- Result oriented;
- Planning and organization;
- Communication and trust;
- Team oriented;
- Organizational development and innovation;
- Time management.
Applications, including a cover letter, curriculum vitae and three professional references should be submitted by 1 August 2022 to: [email protected]. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Please use “Senior Development Officer” as the subject of your e-mail. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- Al-Haq is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate in its hiring practices.