Title: Data Scientist/ Databank Coordinator
Department: Monitoring and Documentation Department, Al-Haq
Unit: Databank unit
Reports to: Head of Monitoring and Documentation Department
Supervises: One databank/ data entry officer
Contract Type: One year (renewal)
Hours: 40h/ week
Type of Contract: National - Palestinian citizens or resident of the OPT
Main Duty Station and Location: Ramallah, Palestine
Expected start date: August 2022
Al-Haq is an independent Palestinian non-governmental human rights organisation based in Ramallah, West Bank. Established in 1979 to protect and promote human rights and the rule of law in the Occupied Palestinian Territory (OPT), the organisation has special consultative status with the United Nations Economic and Social Council.
Al-Haq documents violations of the individual and collective rights of Palestinians in the OPT, irrespective of the identity of the perpetrator, and seeks to end such breaches by way of advocacy before national and international mechanisms and by holding the violators accountable. The organisation conducts research; prepares reports, studies and interventions on breaches of international human rights and humanitarian law in the OPT; and undertakes advocacy before local, regional and international bodies. Al-Haq also cooperates with Palestinian civil society organisations and governmental institutions in order to ensure that international human rights standards are reflected in Palestinian law and policies. The organisation has a specialised international law library for the use of its staff and the local community.
Al-Haq is the West Bank affiliate of the International Commission of Jurists - Geneva, and is a member of the Euro-Mediterranean Human Rights Network (EMHRN), the World Organisation Against Torture (OMCT), the International Federation for Human Rights (FIDH), Habitat International Coalition (HIC), the Palestinian NGO Network (PNGO), and the Palestinian Human Rights Organisations Council (PHROC).
About the position
The Data scientist will be heading the databank unit which is part of the Monitoring and Documentation Department. She/he will be responsible for Al-Haq’s Databank and supervising the data-entry colleagues working in the Unit. This position is a new position and will therefore include an institutionalisation process along the daily work. The unit has one databank/ data-entry officer that is responsible for examining the data sent from the field researchers and then entered into the databank system, the colleague is also in charge of extracting data upon internal and external requests. The Data scientist will oversee the entire process of examining, entering and extracting data, in addition to the data; cleaning, management, analysis and presentation. The presentation of data will include the creating of illustrations, charts, graphics to create educational and informative visuals. The Data scientist will prepare trends and patterns based on data to help Al-Haq in its human rights work.
- Database and data-set administration including data-cleaning, data management and data organisation.
- Supervise data examination, entry and extraction.
- Extract relevant data upon request from colleagues.
- Facilitate configuration and customization of databases with external experts.
- Cross-check data with relevant Palestine-based databanks.
- Analyse trends and patterns using appropriate scientific methodology.
- Act in a consultancy capacity for the legal researchers and other human rights organisations if need be.
- Present information in a variety of formats and to a variety of audiences.
- Liaise with colleagues.
- Attend relevant meetings.
- Perform field visits at least twice a year in coordination with direct supervisor.
- Liaise the development phases of the Databank and the Databank unit.
- Supervise the data unification process with external experts.
- Facilitate the development of data collection tools.
- Supervise unit staff.
- Create Standard of Procedures (SOP) for the unit.
- Any other duties as required by the head of the department.
جميع الحقوق محفوظة لموقع جوبس.
A Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in information management, library science/archivist, data analysis or statistics or any other relevant field. Humanitarian degrees are excepted only with excellent knowledge and experience in information management.
- Minimum two years of experience as a Data scientist/analyst, preferably with data related to humanities.
- Experience in supporting human rights documentation efforts (monitoring, documentation, analysis, etc)
- Experience with maintaining or managing databases/archives and or experience with tools that support information management
- Experience liaising with technical service providers
- Familiarity of platforms such as Github or other for issue/bug reporting and version control
- Experience working with technical user guides to navigate platforms
- Experience in training on relevant topics.
- Experience working in teams, leading teams is required.
- Advanced analytical skills.
- Good managerial and supervision skills.
- Good interpersonal skills.
- Very strong attention to details and strong organisations skills.
- Knowledge in Human rights and/or Palestine context.
- Ability to present data and information in an informative manner.
- Knowledge in any Statistical programs.
Fluency in written and spoken Arabic and English is required.
- Respect for diversity and gender equality
- Results orientation
- Planning and organising
- Problem solving
- Communication and trust
- Team orientation
- Organisational development and innovation
- Time management