DCAF – The Geneva Centre for Security Sector Governance is dedicated to making states and people safer through more effective and accountable security and justice. Since 2000, DCAF has facilitated, driven and shaped Security Sector Reform (SSR) policy and programming around the world.
DCAF is currently preparing for the implementation of the project under the DFID funded Capability, Accountability, Sustainability and Inclusivity Programme (CASIP) aiming at providing support to the Palestinian Security Sector. The CASIP, if approved by DFID, will deliver improved financial and human resources management, policy-making capability, a more effective security sector complaints handling system, and increased internal accountability of Palestinian Authority Security Forces (PASF).
DCAF is designing a multi-year programme proposal to support the objective. In support of the outcome, the Technical Assistance programme will support interventions in four identified thematic areas:
- Planning, research and Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEL)
- Public financial management
- Human resources
It is expected that the project will run from July 2019 through 2021 contingent to funding.
Work under the Human Resources thematic area will focus on the following deliverables:
- Capacity building training on Human Resources with partner units (human rights, information and legal departments) and local/international civil society organizations and media;
- Processes to measure the impact of Human Resources and monitor the Human Resources to the public;
- Promote a culture of the right to information and promote knowledge of laws and ethics across the security sector
In order to support implementation of the Human Resources thematic area DCAF is looking for qualified candidates for the post of Local Coordinator – Human Resources (LC – HR).
Purpose of Mandate
The Local Coordinator – HR reports directly to DCAF Senior Programme Manager (SPM) and ensures ongoing coordination with Local Coordinators in charge of the other components of the project. S/he coordinates with the project partners including MoI, security agencies, other governmental bodies, CSOs and other stakeholders. Under the supervision of the DCAF SPM the Local Coordinator- HR is directly responsible for implementation of the Human Resources thematic area activities, based on the approved project documents, in particular:
- Preparation and update of detailed workplans and design of the activities based on the approved project documents, in coordination with the project partners including the Palestinian Authorities Ministry of Interior (MoI) and concerned security agencies;
- Carry out regular review, and introduce modifications to the planned activities as necessary, in line with the DFID regulations and following approval of the SPM;
- Ensure timely and accurate implementation of the project activities under the thematic area in accordance with the agreed workplans;
- Ensure political, administrative and logistical support to the project on the side of the MoI and concerned security agencies as well as other partners;
- Ensure good coordination with and continuous support to the project activities on the side of the MoI, the security agencies and other stakeholders;
- Organize and facilitate meetings, briefings, workshops, conferences;
- Attend meetings of the coordination bodies and provide briefings as necessary;
- Network, develop new contacts, ensure communication with the project stakeholders, based on the project communication plan;
- Based on the needs and request of the supervisors, provide ad hoc support to other project components in coordination with the Local Coordinators in charge of other thematic areas;
- Develop and/or contribute to the development of implementation and technical documents for the project, plans, implementation notes, notes to file as well as substantive documents related to the thematic area. Provide constructive feedback on the project and substantive documents developed by team members and experts in the course of the project implementation;
- Ensure mobilization of relevant personnel and services for the project. This includes drafting terms of reference, work specifications and contracts, support to procurement and recruitment processes by ensuring substantive and secretariat assistance in the process of soliciting partners, selection and overseeing their work and reporting;
- Monitor work of the project partners, work of contractors and experts/consultants supporting the implementation;
- Monitor project progress, including events, as per the project M&E plan and assist in the preparation of weekly, monthly, quarterly and annual implementation reports to the SPM and MEL officer. Provide ongoing ad hoc reports on the project implementation to the SPM, MEL officer and Head of Office,
- Provide updates to the M&E plan as required;
- Capture, on an ongoing basis, lessons learnt during project implementation and record them in the lessons learn log;
- Monitor the project risks identified in the project risk log and provide regular updates, including new risks and proposed mitigation measures. Maintain an individual risk log related to the thematic area and corresponding to the general project risk log;
- Indicate at the earliest stage any project risks that can occur and propose the mitigation measures;
- Ensure that the project inputs are relevant for implementation of activities and achievement of the project outputs, and that value for money is observed throughout the implementation;
- Provide communication support on the project including drafting press releases and other documents as requested;
- Ensure full compliance with DCAF and DFID guidelines and regulations related to the project implementation, finance management, procurement, human resources and others.
- Contribute to other DCAF reports, planning processes and strategies development as necessary;
- Contribute to development of new projects and resource mobilization;
- Carry out any other tasks as requested by the SPM or Head of Office.
- Effective and efficient thematic area implementation management and timely delivery of the activities as per the workplans;
- Timely delivery of the reports and other required inputs to the MEL system;
- Delivery of quality substantive and project implementation documents;
- Effective support to the project procurement, recruitment and logistics;
- Project results, risks, lessons learned, success stories recorded and used for during the project implementation;
- Political support to the project maintained, the stakeholders managed.
Timeline and assignment
The Local Coordinator will be hired for the period of 1 year within the period of July 2019 to June 2020.
جميع الحقوق محفوظة لموقع جوبس.
Education, knowledge and experience
- Master’s degree, preferably in Public Policy, law, management and administration or related fields;
- A minimum of 10 years of work experience as Project Coordinator or Manager;
- Experience and proven knowledge of the Human Resources is a very strong asset;
- Previous work in/with public institutions as well as with senior management of governmental institutions;
- Previous experience working on projects providing support to the PA and in particular MoI, security agencies will be an asset;
- Proven track record of drafting project implementation and substantive documents;
- Experience in delivering trainings and facilitation of workshops/meetings/conferences;
- Experience in working in multicultural and interdisciplinary teams;
- Experience in drafting documents/reports
- Experience in M&E will be an asset
- Proven experience in developing an intervention plan including: outputs, activities, time frame, defining roles and responsibilities, risk plan.
- Excellent command of oral and written Arabic and English;
-Excellent communication and drafting skills;
-Proven problem-solving skills;
-Strong planning and analytical skills;
-Ability to work under pressure and towards tight deadlines;
- Excellent team work;
-IT skills, particularly in Word and Excel.
The ethical principles for the professional performance of the Local Coordinator shall be as follows:
Anonymity and confidentiality:
The Local Coordinator must guarantee anonymity and confidentiality for any persons providing information in the context of this assignment.
Problems arising during the assignment shall be immediately communicated to DCAF.
The Local Coordinator shall guarantee their independence from the activities implemented. S/he will communicate all and any conflicts of interest to DCAF.
The application must be submitted before 30 June Ramallah time, in an electronic version to DCAF email address ([email protected]) stating in the subject “Local coordinator – Human Resources ”.
The proposal must contain the following elements (in English):
- Cover letter (maximum 1 page)
- CV (maximum 3 pages)
The salary will be proposed based on DCAF standards.
DCAF reserves the right to request additional information deemed appropriate from the applicant.
DCAF will treat all information received in the context of the application confidentially. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. DCAF is not in a position to respond to neither emails nor telephone enquiries.
The vacancy is open to the Palestinian nationals only.
This vacancy is contingent to the availability of project funding.