Position: Inhouse Legal Advisor for the Commercial Development Unit under the Jerusalem Arab Chamber of Commerce and Industry (Jerusalem) JACCI
The Arab Chamber of Commerce and Industry (JACCI) was established in 1936 in Jerusalem for supporting the industry and commercial activities, with a vision of strengthening the Palestinian economy in the City, revitalizing Jerusalemite identity and supporting Palestinian economy at large through expanding the members’ base of traders and industrialists, defending their rights and regulating their work, as well as encouraging investments for creating enabling environment for improving business productivity.
The Productivity and Urban Renewal in East Jerusalem (PURE) Programme, implemented by UNDP/PAPP and funded by the European Union and the Islamic Development Bank, aims at supporting the resilience of Palestinians residing in East Jerusalem, by improving their socio-economic conditions, through urban revitalization of two key commercial centres in the city, namely Salah Eddin and Sultan Suleiman streets.
The establishment of the Commercial Development Unit (CDU), aims at increasing the member merchants’ Legal awareness, and facilitate their access to the legal, financial and administrative services in the city. At the beginning of 2019, the CDU will start to handle both public interest cases and individual commercial related cases, to provide legal support to the merchants to assist them to overcome the socio-economic difficult situation in the city.
CDU is looking for a full time Legal Advisor to manage and lead the newly established CDU activities in accordance with JACCI's mandate and SoPs. S / He will be responsible to receive JACCI’s commercial related cases and to coordinate and compile the efforts of the external legal, financial (business development) and engineering experts to reach the best possible results in a clear time frame. The Legal Advisor is expected to work in accordance with the JACCI’s employment rules, regulations and attitudes. These attitudes and believes shall guide our actions and relationships.
- Role and responsibilities
The following is a brief description of the role.
- Adhere to JACCI and CDU policies, guidance and procedures;
- Manage the CDU case flow from JACCI’s offices and provide relevant and timely services;
- Assist the General Director and other JACCI units to put strategies and plans for the implementation of the CDU activities;
- Assist the Project Manager with technical expertise in relation to the implementation of the CDU activities and the workplans;
- Assist in reviewing the legal material and any other relevant documents and to identify the most important issues that need to be sorted out on a priority basis
- Monitor and evaluate the progress of the CDU activities and report to the General Director;
- Assess the partners and the external expert’s performance and measure the beneficiaries’ satisfaction;
- Take the needed actions to improve the quality and efficiency of the CDU activities;
- Review the case intake from merchants and to provide tailored counseling and refer it to experts as need be and in accordance to the CDU guidelines;
- Take the necessary measures to ensure ongoing modification and improvements on the CDU guidelines and regulations, and make sure it is compatible with JACCI’s mandate and the ongoing and new rules and laws.
- S/He should be involved in preparing and drafting of different acts and legal submissions and draft the authoritative legal opinions
- Manage the CDU database and monitor the regular data entry;
- Lead the CDU private and public advocacy briefings;
- Manage and liaise with all of the CDU service providers and play the connector role for the best service provision to the beneficiaries;
- In close coordination with the external experts, to Draft research documents in relation to the ongoing and new legal rules and regulations affecting businesses and merchants in Jerusalem;
- Carry out any other relevant duties as requested by supervisor.
جميع الحقوق محفوظة لموقع جوبس.
Competencies are divided into the following two categories:
- Professional competencies
These are skills, knowledge and experience that are important for effective performance.
Generic professional competencies for this position:
- Experience on working in project implementation position in a development context.
- Previous experience working in complex and volatile contexts
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
- Knowledge about own leadership skills/profile
- Fluency in Arabic, English, and Hebrew both written and verbal
- Holder of a valid Israeli Bar License (A Palestinian Bar License is a Plus)
Context related skills, knowledge and experience:
- Project coordination experience
- Previous experience with working directly with beneficiaries
- University degree in field of law, international law
- Minimum of 10 years relevant work experience in legal and management fields
- Experience working with donors, projects and in development and/ or humanitarian context is desirable
- Knowledge of Commercial law and procedures
- Cultural sensitivity and Gender Sensitivity
- Behavioral competencies
These are personal qualities that influence how successful people are in their job.
- Handle insecure environments
- Work cooperatively with others to produce innovative solutions
- Take the lead in setting new CDU directions, partnerships, policies or procedures
- Establish structures and processes to plan and manage the orderly implementation of CDU
- Manage resources to optimize results
- Empower and build trust
- Manage performance and development
- Plan and deliver results
- Solve beneficiary problems quickly and effectively
- Communicate with beneficiaries (internal or external) to regularly measure beneficiaries’ satisfaction
- Find ways to measure and track beneficiaries’ satisfaction.
Interested applicants must submit of the following documents:
- C.V. and cover letter in English detailing qualifications for this position;
- Three professional references.
Please send applications to the following email address: [email protected] , application deadline: 03/04/2019.