Medical Aid for Palestinians MAP-UK, works for the health and dignity of Palestinians living under occupation and as refugees. MAP is looking for a robust and dedicated Finance Officer to support the management of MAP’s financial programme in Gaza in accordance with organizational priorities.
This job description does not form part of your contract of employment and can be amended from time to time as the needs of the organization require.
Duties and key responsibilities
- Preparation of the end of month accounts, month end balance sheet account reconciliations.
- Perform the monthly Bank reconciliation with the FAM.
- Constantly reviews banking balances to ensure timely request of Cash to Gaza accounts.
- Constantly tracking to the disbursement payments, with follow up to the delivery dates according to each contract and penalty conditions.
- Work with the Procurement Officer and Procurement Assistant to maintain the tracker for the procurements contracts with amounts due and payments made to date
- Under the direct supervision of the FAM, Tracking and updating partners’ budgets and expenditures, reviewing and checking their financial reports, submitting the request for money transfer for FAM after getting all approvals needed on the payment request.
- Ensure that various donor regulations are complied with in all grant transactions and processes; keep the Finance and Admin Manager informed on all major compliance issues/challenges while taking the necessary corrective steps.
- On monthly basis, monitoring of project and review the expenditure against budget using MAP current accounting system.
- Ensure that partner procurement policies and procedures are followed for different purchases and biddings related to MAP Projects.
- Under the direction of FAM, assist in review the internal monthly financial reports, using the current accounting system. Submit reports, plus reconciliation sheets to Finance & Admin Manager every month.
- Support the FAM in the capacity building activities with the partner organizations
- Assist in preparing monthly and quarterly expenditure forecasts for MAP and partners.
- Occasionally visit project sites to ensure financial controls and procedures are in place.
- Prepare and maintain the Grant Tracking Sheet, create any supplementary tracking sheets to ensure that the same is regularly shared with program and operations staff as appropriate
- Assist the FAM in setting up accounting systems and procedures that are required by MAP for partners, highlighting any shortfalls and agree required management actions.
- Maintain archiving system to the partner financial documents according to MAP procedures.
- Assist the FAM in liaising with audit staff (internal and external) ensuring that any recommendations and changes are fully implemented.
- Participate with the Finance and Admin Manager in field visit and auditing the partner organization based on the partner assessment sheet.
- Enquire if the Partner management and confirm whether a separate cost centre was used by Partner to maintain the accounting transactions for the funds of MAP. Report any discrepancies.
- Obtain from the partner bank reconciliations and check reconciling items for subsequent clearance by referring to the subsequent bank statement.
- Test the payroll and salary allowances and benefits costs recorded, and ensure that:
- agree the recorded salary allowances and benefits cost to supporting documents (employee contract, timesheet and proof of payment/transfer of money).
- Inspect whether salary costs charged to the program are supported by time sheet as required
- Re-calculate the payroll relevant taxes charged to the Project based on local laws requirements and confirm that calculated taxes are declared and paid to the income tax department by referring to a copy of the check payable to the tax department.
- Finance or general administration duties as delegated by Finance and Administration Manager
- Support the mission, ethos and values of MAP.
- Carry out other associated duties as may arise in line with the broad remit of the position.
- Support and promote diversity and equality of opportunity in the workplace.
- Work collaboratively with others in all aspects of our work.
- Maintain and improve competencies through continuous professional development.
- Abide by organisational policies, codes of conduct and practices.
- Treat with confidentiality any personal, private or sensitive information about individual organisations and or clients or staff and MAP data.
جميع الحقوق محفوظة لموقع جوبس.
- A degree in finance, accounting, or any related field.
- Minimum 3 years’ experience in Accounting, Auditing preferably with an (I)NGO
- Knowledge of general accounting principles and production and interpretation of management accounts.
- Ability to prioritise work and meet deadlines.
- Ability to communicate information and ideas effectively
- Demonstrated ability in building and maintaining collaborative relationships
Skills and abilities
- Strong communications, interpersonal, organization, and listening skills.
- Good interpersonal skills – able to deal diplomatically and flexibly with a range of different people;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in both English and Arabic;
- Excellent computer skills in MS Word, Excel (or other spreadsheets) and word processing.
- Good understanding of and sensitivity to the regional/local context;
Personal attributes and other requirements
- Committed to MAP’s aims and values;
- Highly organized self-starter, able to work alone or as part of a team.
Candidates should download and complete the application form, and equal opportunities form and send it to [email protected] by midnight on Tuesday 20 August 2019. Please write “Application – Finance Officer part time- Gaza” in the email subject line. Do not attach CVs or any other documents. Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.