Consultancy Assignment /Architect
Handicap International is running its programmes under the new name of Humanity & Inclusion (HI). Outraged by the injustice faced by people with disabilities and by vulnerable populations, we aspire to a world of solidarity and inclusion, enriched by our differences, where everyone can live in dignity. HI is an international, independent and impartial non-profit organisation that intervenes in situations of poverty and exclusion, conflict and disaster. Working alongside persons with disabilities and vulnerable populations, HI takes action and takes notice, to meet their basic needs, improve their living conditions and promote respect for their dignity and fundamental rights.
HI in Occupied Palestinian Territory (oPt):
Since 1996, HI has implemented various actions with local partners in the West Bank and the Gaza Strip. In a territory beset by chronic crises, political instability, and a declining economic and social situation since the second Intifada in 2000, HI aims to respond to the needs of persons with disabilities and to make structural improvements to their lives.
OBJECTIVE OF THE ASSIGNMENT:
Under the Inclusive Education Project that HI is implementing, the project aims at supporting adaptation of three mainstream schools for inclusion, and one resource centre in the Ministry of Education South Hebron directorate office, including accessibility as well as the provision of specialized educational materials and equipment in mainstream schools. The action aims as well at training and coaching of mainstream education staff and counsellors on disability and adapted learning strategies in mainstream environment. In addition, capacity building of the rehabilitation staff in the resource center for addressing the needs of children with disabilities in school settings.
The architect engineer will work closely with HI Rehabilitation Technical Specialist to:
- Conduct site visits to assess the technical needs of accessibility requirements within the schools premises and resource center upon the needs and recommendations identified in the non technical accessibility assessment (NTAA) by HI Accessibility focal point, and Rehabilitation Technical specialist with the participation of the students with disability/their parents and the school staff. This may include reconstruction/adaptation of building entrances, toilets, ramps and accessible pathways.
- Prepare all the needed technical tender documents according to technical assessment results (Bills of Quantities (BoQs), construction drawings, Technical Specifications, etc.). These should be reviewed by the Accessibility focal point, Rehab technical specialist. The revised documents will be shared with the technical engineers of the ministry of education’s general directorate of buildings and with the students with disabilities/their parents to agree on the actual needs, such sharing would take the form of meetings and workshops
- Support HI’s teams in the administrative enquiry and in the obtaining of needed authorizations before the launch of the tender (if any);
- Support HI’s teams in the preparation of the other needed tender documents, in particular the construction contract
- Contribute to the evaluation of the offers by construction suppliers and support HI team in the selection of the winning candidate/s. : review the construction proposals including BoQs and technical specifications offered by the construction suppliers, conduct relevant research to ensure that materials and prices are proposed adequately, contribute to the evaluation of received offers, etc.
- Monitor the progress of adaptation works, by developing monitoring tools, and making regular and frequent follow up visits to the adaptation sites (at least once a week, if possible more); in order to ensure that the works are performed duly and within the agreed deadlines
- Ensure liaison with and HI focal points and liaison with the contracted company for conduction of intervention, ensuring that all the needed documents, procedures and authorizations related to the works in object are produced, shared and available;
- Ensure liaison with the beneficiary organizations for technical matters at all stages of the design and construction, making sure that they are fully involved in all decisions and that they officially validate any changes;
- Submit progress reports to the Project Manager (PM) detailing the activities and progress of the adaptation works. The reports shall include recommendations and suggestions and any current or foreseeable issues.
- Evaluate the construction modifications implemented by the suppliers, and report to PM.
- Provide technical oversight and support; to ensure that the adaptation works at schools buildings and resource center meet the required standards as identified and recommended by HI.
جميع الحقوق محفوظة لموقع جوبس.
THE SUCCESSFUL CANDIDATE should have:
- A working license from the Palestinian Engineer Association.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Excellent analytical and report writing skills.
- Fluent in English language.
- Expert in the use of AutoCAD and Office pack
- Extensive proven knowledge and experience in accessibility standards and related matters.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor degree in architecture engineering.
- Having at least 2 years’ experience as architecture engineer.
HI workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in HI Code of conduct. In accordance with these values, HI operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti-fraud, bribery, and corruption.
The interested applicants should provide a detailed narrative and financial offer showing the following:
- The suggested methodology of service provision, and an itemized financial breakdown in Shekels (NIS) inclusive of transportation,and,in case that the service provider/Architect will not be able to provide HI with a valid deduction from resource certificate, %income tax will be deducted from this offred amount.
Interested candidates should send a copy of their CV; their proposed methodological and financial offers no later than 04/02/2019. It should be addressed to the following e-mail with reference to the title of the consultancy:
Handicap International is an equal opportunity employer and particularly welcomes applications from persons with disabilities