Secours Islamique France (SIF) is a Non-Governmental Organization of international solidarity based in France. Founded in 1991, SIF is a non-profit and non-political organization that intents to help, to bring relief and to protect the lives of those threatened by natural disasters, armed conflicts or by economic collapse. SIF intervenes around the world through operations of emergency relief, rehabilitation and development. SIF provides its help in respect of the cultural diversity, without any distinction of origin, religion or gender.
In the humanitarian frame work of SIF in the West Bank area the Agriculture Engineer will:
- Have core role in the programmes department. The key responsibilities are to give a support to the good evaluation, implementation of different types of SIF’s interventions in the fields of Agriculture, Environment, and Food security, this position requires a highly motivated hardworking and responsible person. Other attributes required for this role include flexibility (working days/time and trips).
- Will give support to the Agriculture and Water and Sanitation Department and ensure a good follow up and monitoring of the projects coordination procedures.
The job includes, but is not limited to the tasks and objectives described below:
Ensure Agriculture engineering technical support and consultancy on running and future projects:
Supervise all technical aspects of the implementation of agricultural related works and provide technical support and design for the agriculture related interventions which are not limited to: establishment of the irrigation systems, cultivation of farms, fencing and land rehabilitation.
- Assist in developing systematic and comprehensive selection mechanisms (particularly for the selection of agricultural lands, farmers and families to be targeted);
- Ensure that all works are executed in compliance with the specifications and standards;
- Seek out information from beneficiaries, workers, farmers and other stakeholders in regard to the projects implementation and activities;
- Apply general principles of engineering to new circumstances;
- Conduct technical surveys to gather field data and conduct technical need assessment;
- Support in organizing and participating in information meetings and technical trainings for beneficiaries or other stakeholders when needed;
- Visit contractors/beneficiaries and other stakeholders (e.g. Village Council representatives, etc.) on site, discuss their need, work plans and projects activities and advise them on related agriculture engineering issues before, during and after the project implementation;
- Work in solving or preventing problems affecting many different aspects of agricultural production (including diseases related to soil and crops) and propose for solutions;
- Help farmers use their land more effectively and suggest methods to increase yields.
- Advise others regarding green practices or environmental concerns;
- Develop operational methods or processes that use agriculture products or emphasize sustainability;
- Prepare specifications of agriculture supplies and equipment required for the projects implementation;
- Work closely with the AWS officer and the SIF team, including procurement and finance department to initiate and support procurement activities.
Follow up, monitor and evaluate the on-going agricultural projects:
- Fill the databases and support in selecting the final beneficiaries;
- Help in defining monitoring tools (technical field reports, monitoring trackers, etc.), collect data about the progress of the projects activities, fill the tools and weekly update them;
- Help in defining evaluation tools (satisfaction surveys, post-evaluation questionnaires, etc.) and complete them;
- Manage, supervise and visit contractors/beneficiaries on site in order to ensure the works are compliant with SIF technical specifications;
- Be responsible for checking the quality of the on-going works and materials used by contractors and Provide AWS Officer with on time payment requests;
- Schedule agricultural input, material and equipment purchases and deliveries;
- Regularly meet SIF stakeholders (beneficiaries, partner organizations, Village Council representatives, local CBOs, etc.) in order to collect their feedback and questions, forward them to the supervisor and ensure an answer is given back if required;
- Participate in lessons learnt workshops and share recommendation on the improvement of the activities;
- Fill the field visit report on a regular basis and share it with the AWS officer;
- Fill the weekly plan and report and share them with the AWS Officer;
- Edit and review on a regular basis the work plan of each activity and share any possible modification with the AWS Officer;
- Report both orally and in written to the supervisor about any special case, particular situation requiring attention;
- Help in providing technical information for public presentations (to HQ, steering committees, partners etc.).
- University degree in agriculture, or any other relevant development field (Master’s Degree is a plus);
- At least 3 to 5 years’ experience working in water and agriculture related projects, preferably land reclamation and food security;
- A solid experience working with NGOs sector and particularly agricultural and water;
- An in-depth knowledge of the Palestinian agriculture and water sectors;
- Experience in writing and preparing technical and projects reports for management;
- Demonstrated ability to meet deadlines under pressure, and to complete work with high quality and attention to detail;
- Proven experience in agriculture fields and projects;
- Good knowledge of the West Bank context;
- Computer skills: Microsoft Office;
- Ability to undertake regular travel to program sites in West Bank;
- Language skills (reading, writing, spoken) to working level in English and Arabic;
- Demonstrated commitment to working as part of a team, in a support role;
- Qualities: team spirit, patient, flexible, open minded, sociable and highly motivated.
Submit a resume in English only (word or PDF), and a cover letter, including three professional references (e-mail address and phone number must be included), and a date of availability to
Incomplete applications will not be considered. The email subject line MUST include exact position. Deadline to apply is April 17th, 2018. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. Please submit only by email.