FAO seeks gender, geographical and linguistic diversity in order to best serve FAO Members in all regions.
Qualified female applicants and qualified nationals of non-and under-represented member countries are encouraged to apply.
Persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply.
All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality.
FAO Coordination Office for the West Bank and Gaza Strip Programme is currently implementing the Multi-donor Agribusiness Programme (MAP) entitled “Reform and Development of Markets, Value Chains and Producers’ Organizations” in the West Bank and Gaza Strip (WBGS). The programme, which is funded by Denmark, the Netherlands, the European Union, Switzerland and Spain, seeks to enable Palestinian agriculture to generate better income, trade and welfare following an integrated value chain development approach towards more market-oriented, competitive and profitable agribusiness.
Under one of its activities (Activity 4.6), FAO is now seeking the services of a consultant to conduct a detailed participatory assessment of the available extension services in terms of their capacities to deliver required services for farmers and agribusinesses addressing value chain development and market access, and to prioritize set of support actions needed to be followed up by the project.
Under the overall supervision of the Head of Office, the technical guidance of the Head of Programme, and the direct supervision of the Project Manager in close consultation with the Agronomist and the Agribusiness and Marketing Specialist.
Timely and quality implementation of activity 4.6 and in particular on the sub-activity 4.6.1 Assessment of the technical capacities of extension services related to value chain development and market access and define a prioritized set of actions.
Tasks and responsibilities
FAO is now seeking the services of a consultant to conduct a detailed participatory assessment of the available extension services in terms of their capacities to deliver required services for farmers and agribusinesses addressing value chain development and market access, and to prioritize set of support actions needed to be followed up by the project. More specifically, the consultant is expected to perform the following tasks:
- Perform a focused context analysis on the topic, to conduct a desk review of international and national existing strategies and assessments, and reports related to MoA extension services, services provided, and on evaluation of services in the WBGS;
- Support FAO Agronomist in the conduction of consultative meetings and interviews with key stakeholders including Ministry of Agriculture e.g. General Director of Extension and Rural development (GDERD), Heads of different Directorates of the (DGERD), Head of Extension Directorates in the governorates, Extension Agents, General Director of Agriculture Research Center, G. D. of planning and polices, G.D. of marketing, farmers cooperatives and agribusiness, related NGO delivering extension services in both the West Bank and the Gaza strip;
- Analyze the current situation of the MoA extension services in terms of their and with special focus on value chain development and market access focusing on the contributions of extension services to fulfill MoA strategic objectives, and possible ways to increase proactive leadership of the MOA extensions services to help female and male farmers capture sustainable value addition and market opportunities in alignment of the related sectoral strategies and plans.
- Analyze the MoA’s Information and Communication Technologies (ICTs) and propose actions to strengthen and or improve to effectively outreach and support agribusiness sector development.
- Conduct the need assessment for the extension services staff in terms of their capacities and needs to deliver required services for farmers and agribusinesses addressing value chain development and market access;
- Define and prioritize set of support actions to develop the capacities of the MoA extension staff related to gender responsive value chain development and market access;
- Define a brief budget of the resources needed for the implementation of identified set of actions.
- Draft the assessment report based on the findings of the points described above in close consultation with MoA directorate general of extension and rural development. The report should include detailed analysis of extension services in terms of their capacities to deliver required services for farmers and agribusinesses addressing value chain development and market access (SWOT analysis).
- Submit the final version of the report for FAO’s feedback and approval.
- Submit the final report in Arabic and English.
جميع الحقوق محفوظة لموقع جوبس.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- Master’s degree in Rural Development, Agricultural Sciences, Agricultural Extension, Agribusiness or other related field;
- At least 7 years of work experience in the fields of agricultural extension and agribusiness development;
- Be resident and hold a work permit for the West Bank and Gaza Strip
- Ability to travel to the West Bank and to the Gaza Strip;
- Working knowledge of English and Arabic language;
FAO Core Competencies
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Demonstrated experience in conducting studies, assessments.
- Demonstrated experience in conducting development and capacity building programs to extension services.
- Demonstrated previous experience working with governmental and non-governmental organizations.
- Excellent computer skills;
- Excellent analytical and reporting skills;
- Excellent communication skills.
Please note that all candidates should adhere to FAO Values of Commitment to FAO, Respect for All and Integrity and Transparency.
• FAO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing).
• Incomplete applications will not be considered. If you need help, or have queries, please contact: [email protected]
• Applications received after the closing date will not be accepted.
• Only language proficiency certificates from UN accredited external providers and/or FAO language official examinations (LPE, ILE, LRT) will be accepted as proof of the level of knowledge of languages indicated in the online applications.
• For other issues, visit the FAO employment website: http://www.fao.org/employment/home/en/
• For further information on categories, contract duration and honoraria, please refer to the Conditions page.
To apply, visit the recruitment website at Jobs at FAO and complete your online profile. Only applications received through the recruitment portal will be considered.
Candidates are requested to attach a letter of motivation to the online profile.
Vacancies will be removed from the recruitment portal at 23:59 Central European Time (CET) on the deadline for applications date. We encourage applicants to submit the application well before the deadline date.
If you need help, or have queries, please contact: [email protected]
FAO IS A NON-SMOKING ENVIRONMENT