Position: Advocacy and lobbying coordinator
Location: Based in Asala Office in Ramallah with regular fieldwork in the West Bank
Reports to: Asala’s Program Manager
The Palestinian Businesswomen’s Association – Asala was founded in 1997 under the name Center for Women’s Economic Projects (CWEP) and registered as a non-profit organization under the current name in 2001.Until August 2014, Asala provided both small loans, totaling more than USD 35 million, and non-financial services to female micro-entrepreneurs. Following a change in legislation, Asala established itself as two separate legal entities since then, whereby “Asala for Credit and Development delivers financial services and “The Palestinian Businesswomen’s Association – Asala” continues to provide comprehensive and needs-based services to marginalized women in the West Bank and Gaza Strip along three strategic tracks, namely; Advocacy and lobbying for women’s economic and social rights, Capacity building for women entrepreneurs and Facilitating access to local, regional and global markets for women entrepreneurs.
The position holder will work on the implementation of the policy and advocacy component within “Generating Revenue Opportunities for Women and Youth -GROW”. GROW is a 4-year, CAD 9 M project implemented by CowaterSogema International Inc. (Lead) in partnership with the Palestinian Businesswomen’s Association (Asala) and the Near East Foundation (NEF) Palestine and aims to enhance economic empowerment and increase prosperity for low-income women and youth in the West Bank.
Roles and Responsibilities:
The Advocacy and Lobbying Coordinator will be a member of Asala’ s Team, supporting Asala’ s policy, advocacy, media and communications plans with a particular focus the policy and advocacy interventions within GROW project. Specifically;
- Establish a strong relationship and understanding of Asala’ s target groups and their needs
- Develop, implement, and monitor an advocacy plan in line with Asala’ s strategy
- Network and cooperate with grassroots organizations and Women’s Organizations to promote Asala’ s mission, objectives and results.
- Represent Asala at advocacy coordination forums and support the work of Asala’s program partners to identify and utilize advocacy opportunities.
- Develop clear procedures for the policy and advocacy initiatives.
- Work with Partners to strengthen advocacy and Campaigning capacity, and support partners to undertake advocacy at local, national and international levels.
- Support the design and implementation of policy advocacy and community awareness campaigns to address socio-cultural barriers, with a focus on women’s economic and social rights.
- Design and conduct policy advocacy initiatives to address policy barriers to women’s entrepreneurship
- Support policy research and data collection needed to produce policy papers and other related advocacy and communication materials and campaigns.
- Coordinate and facilitate preparations before meetings with decision makers.
- Plan and implement community awareness raising campaigns to promote community and household support for women’s economic participation
- Identify and mobilize supportive community leaders, male and female youth to positively influence negative social norms within targeted communities.
- Develop media/communications products for example social media updates and materials, fact sheets, stories, case studies, press releases
- Follow up and coordinate all policy and advocacy activities per plan set by Asala
- Report on progress of all policy initiatives, particularly against set indicators and document achievements and challenges
- Update the component tracker in cooperation with Asala’s M&E Officer
- Support in developing funding proposals, which focus on policy and advocacy work to generate funds.
- Attend all meetings and workshops as needed, both internally and externally to promote Asala’s mission and objectives within the community and among other NGO’s.
- Cooperate and coordinate with the team to ensure the best interest and performance of Asala according to its policies and procedures.
- Act as a member of Asala team and carry out any reasonable duties as requested by the line manager.
- Perform miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned by line manager.
جميع الحقوق محفوظة لموقع جوبس.
To be eligible to apply for the role, you should have:
- A University degree in political science, journalism, law, human rights, gender and women’s studies, or development. Advanced degree is an advantage;
- 3-5 years proven work experience in policy analysis, advocacy, communications, or a related field with solid skills and competencies in administration and organization;
- Extensive understanding of Advocacy & Campaigning and significant experience in planning and executing campaigns
- Proven track record of writing and designing campaign actions and other communication materials, using both online and print approaches
- Knowledge of approaches to developing and communicating public campaigns, including messages, audiences and delivery methods, which aim to inspire and motivate people to take action.
- Previous experience working on development issues, particularly related to women’s economic empowerment.
- Excellent communication skills (writing and speaking) in English and Arabic;
- Strong interpersonal and coordination skills, ability to work in a team;
- Results-oriented and strong analytical skills.
Candidates who meet the above mentioned qualifications are encouraged to apply for this position, ensuring they submit a cover letter and curriculum vitae in English including the names and contact details for three reference, are to be submitted by email to [email protected] , please ensure that you state the title of the post that you are applying for as subject of your email Advocacy & lobbying Coordinator
- Deadline for submission: No later than Tuesday 16th of April 2019.
We thank all applicants, however only those making the shortlist will be contacted.