Near East Foundation (NEF) –West Bank
Title: Conflict Management and Mitigation Specialist
Unit: Programs, Near East Foundation in West Bank
Reports to: Project Director
Location: Nablus, West Bank
Travel: To project areas within West Bank and Israel
The Near East Foundation (NEF) is seeking qualified candidates for a Conflict Management and Mitigation (CMM) Specialist to be based in Nablus, West Bank. For over 100 years, NEF has worked to build more sustainable, prosperous, and inclusive communities in the Middle East and Africa through education, governance, and economic development initiatives. NEF’s work is organized around three programareas: Peacebuilding through Economic Cooperation, Microenterprise Development, and Sustainable Agriculture and Natural Resources Management.
NEF is currently seeking a CMM Specialist to lead all aspects of NEF’s Peacebuilding work in the West Bank and Israel, including the USAID-funded Exchange for Progress: Young Agronomists Without Borders (E4P) project in West Bank and Israel. The E4Pproject seeks to support and advance conflict mitigation and reconciliation and achieve greater understanding and mutual trust between Palestinian and Israeli farmers, industry leaders and government officials through cross-border agricultural cooperation and mutual benefit.
The project’s expected results are:
(1) dialogue, trust, mutual understanding and collaboration between Israeli and Palestinian farmers and agribusinesses increased;
(2) improve conditions for Palestinian and Israeli cross-border cooperation and confidence building in agribusiness development;
(3) improve joint grassroots cooperation to develop the date, dairy, herb and vegetable value chains across at least 16 Israeli and 24 Palestiniancommunities; and
(4) address strategic technical and/or policy related barriers, gaps or weaknesses in the date, dairy, herb and vegetable value chain for increased benefit by Israeli and Palestinian value chain actors.
Coordinating closely with the Project Director and other NEF West Bank staff, theCMM Specialist will be responsible for developing and overseeing the planning and roll-out of negotiation and conflict resolution activities within NEF projects. S/he will act as a resident expert in conflict mitigation methodologies, as well as building capacity among staff and partner organizations to resolve and mitigate conflicts through interest based negotiation. The Specialist will develop workplans for capacity building in negotiation and related subjects,ensure that cross-border interaction and program workshops, participant recruitment, roundtables, and events promote positive dialogue and are sensitive to conflict dynamics. S/he will lead Do No Harm analysis and tailor and deliver peacebuilding and negotiation training with the Peres Center for Peace.
- Provide expert guidance to participants regarding conflict resolution methodologies, negotiation and conflict prevention;
- Act as the project’s resident expert in conflict resolution management, capacity building, and negotiation;
- Develop and execute workplans for building capacity in conflict resolution, peacebuilding and negotiation between actors;
- Advise and build long lasting capacity among program staff in peacebuilding, conflict resolution and prevention;
- Work closely with participants and staff to ensure all project activities address conflicts appropriately, ensuring a Do No Harm approach;
- Ensure accurate and timely reporting in coordination with NEF M&E Specialist
- Bachelor’s degree in related field such as psychology, sociology, counseling, law, peacebuilding, sociology, public administration, or international development; Master’s degree preferred.
- Technical training in conflict resolution management, including interest-based negotiation; strong capacity building, adult learning and training skills, knowledge and abilities; comfortable building capacity at various levels of government.
- Proven knowledge of key actors in West Bank and Israel.
- Proven experience in conflict management and mitigation practices,support to peace processes, reconciliation, security sector reform, demobilization and reintegration, psycho-social counseling, youth, gender and other conflict-related work; ability to conduct participatory conflict analysis.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills are required; fluency in Arabic is required. Fluency or proficiency in Hebrew and English is a plus.
Commensurate with experience.
Please apply by sending to
the following documents:
- Cover letter outlining all relevant experience
- Curriculum Vitae
- List of three references (including one from current, or most recent, employer)
Application deadline: October 17, 2017
Subject line: Conflict Management and Mitigation Specialist.
Applicants are strongly encouraged to familiarize themselves with the Near East Foundation by visiting the NEF website at www.neareast.org.
The Near East Foundation will conduct pre-employment background checks that may include contacting off-list references from past employers.
The Near East Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer.