Working efficiently, effectively and in a spirit of partnership, we support people and societies in developing, transition and industrialized countries in shaping their own futures and improving living conditions. This is what the Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) is all about. As a federally owned enterprise, we support the German Government in achieving its objectives in the field of international cooperation for sustainable development. We are also engaged in international education work around the globe.
The “East Jerusalem Tourism Development Programme”, co-funded by the European Union and implemented by GIZ, supports Palestinian MSMEs and tourism stakeholders along the Palestinian tourism value chain to develop East Jerusalem into a flourishing and internationally marketed Palestinian city travel destination embedded in the Palestinian tourism value chain, attracting group and individual travellers with its diverse and competitive portfolio of touristic services and experiences featuring and deepening the Palestinian identity and heritage of East Jerusalem in four key dimensions: a) Palestinian food & culinary experiences; b) Palestinian handicraft & shopping experiences; c) Palestinian heritage & cultural experiences; d) Palestinian tours & travel experiences.
In order to support the project in the area of strategic development of the East Jerusalem Palestinian tourism portfolio, innovative product development, communication, marketing and women empowerment, we are looking for a full-time project advisor (100%)
“Tourism Project Advisor”
Responsibilities and tasks include but are not limited to:
- Managing an area of responsibility that forms part of the programme objectives, team agreements and/or agreements with the superior
- Assisting project/programme initiatives to provide professional advisory services to and cooperate with a broad range of target groups
- Innovation and knowledge management.
Core Tasks and Functions Directly Relevant to the Project
- Is responsible for the dissemination of calls for proposals for product development within the East Jerusalem tourism sector and following-up on submissions and the overall implementation of the product development cycles with the participants.
- Ensures good communication and flow of information between the project partners, within the project team and maintains constant contact with stakeholders of the project’s activities.
- Actively scouts for potential participants/new stakeholders for the project’s activities and promotes the projects within the East Jerusalem tourism sector.
- Actively supports the development of the project’s women empowerment plan and oversee its implementation in closer cooperation with the project manager.
- Is responsible for overall setup and implementation of the project’s local, regional and global communication strategy including setup and administration of the project’s website/social media representation.
- Provides technical support to involved partners for their communication/outreach.
- Prepares content for the project’s public outreach and advocates for the project locally, regionally and internationally according to the project’s communication and visibility plan.
- Prepares and carries out qualitative research projects (developing survey instruments, field trials, training field staff, organisational preparation in the field, collecting and analysing data.
Advising the partner institution(s)
- Assists and monitors the development and implementation of project/programme plans and activities in close consultation with counterparts
- Contributes to preparing and implementing the coordination process, joint project/programme activities and work at the regional level.
- Deals with the design, preparation and implementation of workshops, seminars and other events on issues connected with the project/programme’s area of activity.
- Develops and organises quality assurance measures and suggests necessary changes, improvements and initiatives.
Networking and cooperation
- Ensures synergies with other GIZ tourism projects locally, in the MENA region and worldwide.
- Promotes the development and maintenance of links and networks between public institutions, civil society and actors of the innovative tourism ecosystem in Palestine.
- Supports cooperation, regular contact and dialogue with partners, assists with PR work and cooperates with local communities, relevant organisations, non-governmental agencies and individuals in the project/programme environment and with other projects to improve and maintain good working relationships.
- Is responsible for the management of all external consultants assigned to / commissioned by the project including following-up on the progress of consultants’ work and assuring a good integration of external consultants’ work into the overall workflow of the project.
- Communicates local interests and efforts, forwards these and encourages sharing ideas and information for the benefit of the project/programme.
- Ensures knowledge transfer to project/programme information.
- Develops ready-to-use strategies and technical concepts, including guidelines, manuals and procedures.
- Draws up reports and presentation documents.
- Prepares appropriate input for various project/programme reports including annual reports and contributes to the other reports required by the programme manager and GIZ Head Office.
- Assists with research activities and studies on political issues which benefit joint programmes.
- Assists with general project planning and develops project concepts including preparation, organisation and moderation of planning exercises and their implementation, management, monitoring, quality management, evaluation, communication and documentation.
- Coordinates relevant project activities at local level in consultation with the manager and in cooperation with the partners, both as regards implementation and preparing organisational aspects
- Compiles the relevant information for joint activities and assignments.
- Handles order management on behalf of GIZ (e.g. offer preparation, impact monitoring, project progress review, reporting).
Additional Tasks and Functions
- Supports the project team in planning, implementation and monitoring of project activities in the intervention area of East Jerusalem tourism development on all levels of the project.
- Supports in the organization of conferences on tourism-related topics.
- Supports in the capacity development measures in the field of tourism product development, quality standards and marketing.
- Ensures timely delivery of outputs and actively contribute to knowledge management.
- Prepares appropriate input for various project reports required by the management and GIZ head office.
- Performs other duties and tasks at the request of management.
- Assists other experts, if necessary, as a translator.
جميع الحقوق محفوظة لموقع جوبس.
Required qualifications, competences and Professional experience
- University degree (master level or equivalent).
- Work experience in the Palestinian tourism industry is essential and should include work experience in the private sector; experience should include familiarity with tourism-related marketing, communication and a good knowledge of the Palestinian tourism value chain’s product portfolio.
- Work experience with Palestinian tourism sector association in addition to work experience in the private (tourism) sector.
- Work experience in tourism related marketing, communication and PR including experience in content development and text editing.
- Experience in working with international development organizations, ideally in private sector development and/or tourism sector related projects.
- Familiarity and work experience with women empowerment projects and strategies, ideally in the tourism sector, is an asset.
- Familiarity with current challenges of the Palestinian tourism sector, specifically resulting from the COVID-19 crisis.
- Very good knowledge of the Palestinian tourism value chain, its key stakeholders and associations.
- Very good working knowledge and work experience in designing online questionnaires and results analysis; specific experience in the Palestinian tourism sector and familiarity with multi-lingual questionnaires and different survey software is an asset.
Other knowledge, additional competences
- Excellent working knowledge of ICT technologies (related software, phone, fax, email, internet) and computer applications (e.g. MS Office); working knowledge of desktop publishing applications and/or CMS such like WordPress is an asset.
- Good working knowledge and experience in website maintenance, online and social media communication tools, newsletter and blog development including content creation; specific experience in the tourism sector is an asset; ideally work experience in web-based LMS, ideally related to the tourism sector, is an asset.
- Friendly and motivated personality, dedicated interest in tourism and interested in creative and innovative solutions.
- Good networking and communication skills, team- and service-oriented work style.
- Ability to work in a complex environment under stressful conditions with people of different backgrounds.
- Excellent command of spoken and written English and Arabic.
- Willingness to upskill as required by the tasks to be performed – corresponding measures are agreed with management.
- Ability to work in the project office in East Jerusalem and to travel in the West Bank.
Assignment: Starting 01.03.2021 until 28.02.2023 with possible extension.
GIZ is an equal opportunity employer and offers an attractive and challenging working environment with opportunities for skill enhancement.
A complete application must be submitted in English to the following address: [email protected], which includes the applicant information form, CV and cover letter, no later than 28th of January 2021 at latest 4:00PM.
Kindly state in the email subject “Tourism Project Advisor - PSDP”. Any deficiency in the application will NOT be considered. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Attachment GIZ applicant information form