International Research & Exchanges Board (IREX)
Scope of Work
Position Title: Temporary Accounting Services / Consultancy
Program: Partnerships with Youth (PWY)
Reports To: Finance & Admin Manager
Position Location: Ramallah, West Bank
IREX is an international nonprofit organization providing thought leadership and innovative programs to promote positive lasting change globally. IREX enables local individuals and institutions to build key elements of a vibrant society: quality education and innovative youth development programming, independent media, and strong communities. To strengthen these sectors, our program activities also include conflict resolution, gender, and technology for development. Since its establishment in 1968, IREX has employed field-tested methods and innovative uses of technologies to develop practical and locally-driven solutions with partners in 120 countries. In the West Bank and Gaza, IREX brings an innovative youth development approach that will lead the development and implementation of the USAID-funded Partnerships with Youth program in the West Bank.
Summary of Position:
Under the direction of the Finance and Administration Manager, the temporary accountant / consultant will apply principles of accounting to analyze financial information and prepare financial reports by compiling information, preparing financial reports, and utilizing appropriate accounting control procedures.
Period of Performance:
The consulting assignment will be from Dec 1, 2017 through Feb 28, 2018, to provide temporary accounting services during the maternity leave of an IREX employee. This assignment will not lead to permanent, full-time employment.
Specific duties include, but are not limited to the following:
- Compile and analyze financial information to prepare financial statements including monthly and annual accounts, bank account reconciliations, journal entries and general ledger operations, monthly financial reports.
- Manage Invoices and payment process, ensuring all documentation and is accurate and prepared properly and in accordance with IREX and USAID policies and procedures.
- Manage (e.g., copy/scan, file hard copies, and save soft copies) of all financial documents for reporting purposes.
- Prepare monthly bank reconciliations.
- Ensure all financial reporting deadlines are met.
- Review all incoming invoices and ensure timely payment of payables.
- Manage filing of financial and accounting records.
- Manage and prepare staff payroll and salary slips.
- Prepare monthly VAT report, including collecting and copying of all related original tax invoices on timely manner.
- Prepare all VAT exemption letters as appropriate.
- Review the petty cash report and reconciliations on monthly basis.
- Assist with preparation of customized financial transaction reports as required.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Minimum of BA degree in accounting or relevant field.
- A minimum of 3 years of experience on USAID-funded projects and knowledge of relevant USAID regulations.
- Knowledge of accounting and finance principles including Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
- Excellent knowledge of MS Office and familiarity with relevant computer software.
- Experience in accounting systems, QuickBooks is preferable.
- Ability to work under pressure and tight deadlines.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, and ability to work cooperatively in a team.
- Strong written and spoken Arabic and English skills.
To apply please send your CV and names of three references to
by 5:00 pm Monday November 20, 2017.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.