Medical Aid for Palestinians MAP-UK, works for the health and dignity of Palestinians living under occupation and as refugees. MAP is seeking to employ a highly qualified Senior Finance Officer to be based at MAP’s Gaza office.
Senior Finance Officer
Contract: 18 months
Post: Full time
Under the supervision of the MAP’s Director of Programmes Gaza, the holder of the post will provide professional management on all financial matters in MAP’s Gaza office ensuring compliance with its internal control processes and procedures
Duties and key responsibilities
- Manage all day to day financial accounting matters.
- Maintain and develop robust financial control systems to ensure compliance with MAP’s financial policies and procedures, including those for payment processing, petty cash control and procurement.
- Ensure that any financial controls weaknesses are identified, reported to the DoP Gaza and Finance Manager West Bank, and addressed in a timely manner.
- Ensure financial transactions are properly recorded in the accounting system in compliance with monthly reporting schedules.
- Reconcile bank, petty cash, and other balance sheet accounts on a regular basis.
- Monitor cash flow requirements and prepare cash flow requests when required.
- Participate in all procedural and financial aspects of the procurement process.
- Ensure compliance with MAP’s procurement procedures, identify any weaknesses, and make recommendations for improvements.
Due Diligence and Partner financial monitoring
- On the direction of the Finance Manager in West Bank, take the lead on the Due Diligence process for MAP’s partners in Gaza and follow up on all outstanding action points.
- On the direction of the Finance Manager in West Bank co-ordinate arrangements for the external audit of MAP’s partners and ensure that the recommendations are implemented.
- Review partner expenditure reports, supporting documentation, and other evidence to ensure they comply with the terms of the grant agreement. With the support of the Finance Manager in West Bank investigate further where concerns are identified and make recommendations for further training and/or internal or external audits where appropriate.
- Taking a risk-based approach to partner financial monitoring, ensure appropriate financial controls are in place and arrange monitoring and technical support visits.
- Participate in procurement activities at partner organizations as required and ensure that MAP’s and MoI procurement procedures are complied with.
Budgeting and reporting
- Monitor costs against all Gaza cost centres and assist the DoP in forecasting and budgeting processes.
- Prepare ad hoc financial reports when required.
- Support the requirements of MAP’s fundraisers and donors in relation to budget formulation, routine and ad hoc reporting, and the donor’s external audits of MAP’s accounting records.
- Oversee and direct the work of the Finance Officer and Procurement Officer, identifying and providing support and training where required.
- Support the mission, ethos and values of MAP.
- Carry out other associated duties as may arise in line with the broad remit of the position.
- Support and promote diversity and equality of opportunity in the workplace.
- Work collaboratively with others in all aspects of our work.
- Maintain and improve competencies through continuous professional development.
- Abide by organizational policies, codes of conduct and practices.
- Treat with confidentiality any personal, private or sensitive information about individual organizations and or clients or staff and MAP data.
- At least 4 years’ professional experience in a senior financial position within a well-established organization.
- Implementing and monitoring of financial controls systems.
- Procurement procedures.
- Working with partner originations including due diligence and financial monitoring.
- Supporting budgeting and forecasting processes and producing ad hoc reporting.
- Managing and developing staff.
- Dealing with internal and external auditing processes and liaising with the auditors.
Skills and abilities
- Excellent skills in financial management.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to deal diplomatically and flexibly with a range of different people.
- Proven work organization skills.
- Clear written and verbal communication skills in both English and Arabic.
- A broad range of skills in O365 and MS office, with advanced Excel skills an asset.
- General accounting principles and standards.
- Master’s degree in finance, accounting or a related field.
- A license from a recognized accounting institute is an asset.
Personal attributes and other requirements
- Able to work flexibly in emergencies and to meet specific deadlines including some evenings and weekends
by midnight on Thursday 16th August 2018.
Please write “Application – Senior Finance Officer Gaza” in the email subject line.
Do not attach CVs or any other documents.
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.