ACTED is an independent international, private, non-partisan and non-profit organization that operates according to principles of strict neutrality, political and religious impartiality, and non discrimination.
ACTED was created in 1993 to support populations affected by the conflict in Afghanistan. Based in Paris, France, ACTED is present in four continents and our teams intervene in 34 countries towards 8 million people, responding to emergency situations, supporting rehabilitation projects and accompanying the dynamics of development. In association with several French, European and International partners, ACTED is committed to promoting and developing innovative approaches and initiatives, humanitarian principles, new forms of solidarity and convergences between private and public actors and NGOs from the North and the South covering themes such as aid efficiency and transparency, evaluation, information and coordination of humanitarian emergencies, promotion of local governance and civil society strengthening, sustainable access to income and microfinance, prevention and reduction of catastrophes, the link between development aid, sustainable development and social business, food security, etc.
In the occupied Palestinian territory, ACTED is both committed to humanitarian assistance and long- term development. ACTED strives to strengthen the economic capacities of cooperatives in rural areas, consolidate civil society organizations, and provide emergency assistance to the most vulnerable, rural communities in the West Bank and Gaza. ACTED currently seeks a Project Technical Officer for its humanitarian operations in Palestine.
The Technical Officer’s role is to enhance the technical requirements of ACTED through its Emergency Response Project focused on improving the lives of families living in dire circumstances in the West Bank (Area C) and East Jerusalem. The responsibilities of the Technical Officer are to ensure set up and control of the material provided (residential, livelihoods and water & sanitation structures) according to minimum standards enabling quality, safety and accountability for the beneficiaries. She/He is also in charge of developing and managing the GIS system for ACTED.
Project Technical Implementation and Supervision
- Development of technical specifications and material quality checks
- Responsible for developing, implementing and supervising the technical requirements of the project
- Responsible for revising and upgrading the technical specifications of existing material provided
- Responsible for overseeing the technical drawing software ‘’Autocad’’ or other as relevant.
- Responsible to conduct field assessments and monitoring visits to assure the standard quality of materials to be provided and/or provided (specifications and installation). Supervising the implementation of activities on the project sites.
- Participate in the tender evaluations as an observer and provide expert input during the evaluation of bids for construction works
- Verify that the construction works are corresponding to the design, and the quality of the installed materials meets the desired standards. Alert the project management on any identified deviation regarding the quality of materials used and construction methods applied in comparison to the requirements of the relevant national legislation and the tender documentation
- Development and Management of ACTED’s GIS System
- Responsible for the compiling and organizing GIS data from maps, databases and other sources;
- Responsible for the collection of data in the field using Global Positioning System.
- Responsible for the collection and conversion of mapping resources and GIS data; Producing GIS maps for different activities.(ie factsheets for external dissemination)
Technical Counseling and Advising
- Responsible for preparing bills of quantities and technical specifications for the needed materials and tools, and for planning accordingly with the logistics and finance departments.
- Responsible internally for advising the project team on technical requirements and continuous improvements to meet the needs of the population. All related information and specific technical areas relevant for the Emergency Project Manager
- Responsible to provide technical guidance and trainings when required to ACTED’s partners on related activities
- Provide technical support to the Project Manager, Logistics department and other Shelter, Infrastructures, Livelihood and WASH staff to implement ACTED projects with high quality standards;
Monitoring and Reporting
- Quality Monitoring
- Responsible and accountable for the technical outputs, quality, efficiency and compliance with Shelter / Livelihoods / WASH minimum standards.
- Responsible for overseeing the integration of Protection standards in the developed response.
- Responsible for building and/or improving systems to upgrade the technical quality of the response
- Random technical checks visits on material assistance, with multi-field visit on ACTED and partners areas,
- Inspection on material, controlling contractors’ deliveries.
- Activity Reporting
- Responsible for following up the action plans and implementation progress
- Responsible for submitting weekly / monthly reports on activity progress to the Emergency Project Manager
- Responsible externally for attending technical meetings, workshops and clusters and for representing ACTED on technical related areas
- Responsible to provide technical explanations to external partners (Shelter cluster, donors) when required and on coordination with the Emergency Project Manager.
- Responsible for enforcing and maintaining good relations with the beneficiaries and key stakeholders in the community
- Meeting with partners / shelter cluster./ WASH cluster
- Perform other duties as requested by direct supervisor.
- Provide strategic technical guidance on ACTED’s program in general when required.
- Ensure cordial relationship within the Emergency Department and with departments relevant in internal relations.
- Ensure cordial relationship among partners, donors and other external entities.
- Bachelor's degree in Civil Engineering, Architecture, structural Engineering or related field.
- Minimum 5 year experience in relevant occupational experience of Shelter, Livelihood, WaSH and GIS with strong skills to implement and manage quality control on different programs.
- Previous work experience within the with NGOs, with focus on the field will be highly valued.
- Computer skills, Excellent in AutoCad (2D & 3D), ArcGIS, Photoshop, MS Word, MS Excel and MS Outlook
- Ability to write reports and follow-up execution of projects’ activities.
- Very good knowledge of West Bank villages and ability of movement in the field.
- Strong negotiation and analytical skills
- Ability to work with various partners, in a spirit of openness and with adaptable communications strategies
- Able to commit to flexible working hours and willing to travel whenever necessary.
- Ability to work in a team, under pressure, ability to take initiative, make decisions, monitor and evaluate. Capable in planning and problem solving.
- Ability to handle multiple assignments & meet deadlines with willingness to travel to the field independently
- Fluency in written & spoken English/ Arabic with technical report writing
- Professional attitude, good social skills, and ability to work in a team.
- Accurate, reliable, open-minded, and a positive attitude.
- Willingness to improve skills and knowledge.
- Valid Driving license (with clean record) is compulsory
Interested candidates are invited to send a cover letter, CV, and three references (in English) no later than July 7th, 2018 to: ([email protected]), indicating the position (Project Technical Officer) in the subject line.
The selection committee will review all applications as they are received. All applicants must meet the minimum requirements described above, and those unable to meet these requirements will not be considered.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview. No telephone inquiries will be received.