ADDAMEER (Arabic for conscience) Prisoner Support and Human Rights Association is a Palestinian non-governmental, civil institution that works to support Palestinian political prisoners held in Israeli and Palestinian prisons. Established in 1992 by a group of human rights activists, the center offers free legal aid to political prisoners, advocates for their rights at the national and international level, and works to end torture and other violations of prisoners' rights through monitoring, legal procedures and solidarity campaigns.
Addameer believes in the importance of building a free and democratic Palestinian society based on
Justice, equality, rule of law and respect for human rights within the larger framework of the right to
Self-determination. Addameer's work is based on a belief in the universality of human rights as enshrined in international law.
Outcome 1: Duty Bearers and individuals are held accountable regarding violations against detainees and prisoners.
Support detainees and prisoners and their families by providing professional legal representation, offering awareness-raising upon arrest; Increasing the expertise of Palestinian lawyers in the military courts system.
By ensuring accountability for the crimes and violations committed by the occupying forces against detainees and prisoners and their families; Monitoring and documentation of human rights violations; Building local, international, & regional networks of organisations that support prisoners and detainees issues; Create awareness campaigns to raise public awareness and to activate them to support the prisoner’s issue; Generating public support to bring Israel to account and to pressure it to change its policies and practices.
Addameer represents political prisoners under the PA as well and implement the same strategies for accountability.
Outcome 2: The Palestinian society and Institutions are empowered and mobilized to respect and protect human rights.
Development of society and institutions protecting civil and political rights of individuals and groups for whom such rights have been violated.
Raise social awareness of groups whose civil and political rights have been violated
Creation of local youth groups to develop their knowledge and to raise awareness of human rights related issues. (Addama´er), conduct know your rights awareness sessions, and train young lawyers on HR standards.
Outcome 3: Addameer institutional capacity is strengthened to achieve its goals efficiently and effectively.
Developing the professional capacity of staff, the financial sustainability of the organisation and external relations, and new tools for fundraising.
- End torture and other forms of cruel, inhuman and degrading treatment inflicted upon Palestinian prisoners;
- Abolish the death penalty;
- End arbitrary detentions and arrests;
- Guarantee fair, impartial and public trials;
- Support political prisoners and their families by providing them with legal aid and social and moral assistance and undertaking advocacy on their behalf;
- Ensure that legislations guarantee human rights and basic freedoms and ensure their implementation on the ground;
- Raise awareness of human rights and rule of law issues in the local community;
- Ensure respect for democratic values in the local community, based on political diversity and freedom of opinion and expression;
- Lobby for international support and solidarity for Palestinians’ legitimate rights.
- Manage and coordinate programmed activities, from substantive, administrative and financial points of view, applying strategic planning and systematic coordination of project activities.
- Manage day-to-day project implementation and overall coordination of project outcomes.
- Ensure supervision of the Project personnel and ensure effective communication and coordination between the coordinators and the director.
- Provide direction and leadership in advocating project objectives and in ensuring that all interested parties are well informed about the project activities and goals.
- Identify any support and advice required for the management, planning and control of the Project.
- Ensure timely preparation and compilation of the Project Annual/Quarterly Work Plans and Progress/Final substantial and financial reports and its submission to donors as appropriate.
- Prepare monthly reports on key project activities, issues and required action points. Prepare the project semiannual progress reports (progress against planned activities, update on risks and issues, expenditures), annual review report and final review reports, and submit them to donors as appropriate.
- Participate in the transparent tender bidding or request for proposal processes for the selection of implementing partners for sub-projects and ensure the preparation of clear tender bidding evaluation reports.
- Ensure the quality of outputs and results with optimal monitoring mechanisms; establish effective coordination, monitoring, information sharing and reporting systems.
- Prepare funding proposals and concepts for mobilization of resources and progress reports to donor organizations, monitoring, evaluation and lessons learned reports and other relevant project-related documents, including substantive correspondence for a) resource mobilization, b) partnership building, c) reporting.
- Assist in development of the gender mainstreaming strategy and ensure the mainstreaming of gender into all project activities.
- Manage Project administrative and security related activities, monitor financial resources and accounting to ensure accuracy and reliability of financial reports.
- Participate in transparent and competitive selection, recruitment, supervision and mentoring of senior project staff. Ensure efficient HR management, conduct regular performance appraisal exercises for Project staff.
- Represent Addameer, as required, UN organizations, donor organizations, other international organizations, as well as non-governmental institutions.
- Ensure proper professional relationships with community leaders, local NGOs and other Community Based Organizations (as Women associations, Youth associations, etc).
- Establish and maintain relationships and act as the key focal point to ensure that all programming, financial and administrative matters related to the Project are transparently, expediently and effectively managed, in line with established Addameer Rules and Regulations.
COMPETENCIES AND CRITICAL SUCCESS FACTORS
- Demonstrates integrity by modelling Addameers values and ethical and political standards
- Promotes vision, mission and strategic goals
- Deep knowledge of Human rights and International Law in the Palestinian contexts
- Specialist knowledge in Fundraising
- Specialist knowledge in management
- Diplomatic and conflict resolutin skills
- Strong understanding of political dynamics in Palestine
Knowledge Management and Learning
- Shares knowledge and experience
- Ability to provide top quality advice service on strategy and management
- In-depth practical knowledge of inter-disciplinary development issues
Developent and Operational Effectiveness
- Ability to lead strategic planning, results-based management and reporting
- Ability to go beyond established procedures and models, propose new approaches which expand the range of programmes
- Ability to work with minimal supervision
- Negotiation skills: capacity to work with diverse partners
- Capacity to work under pressure
- Capacity to work accomplishing tight deadlines
Leadership and teamwork
- Leads team effectively
- Works well with a diverse group of people
- focuses on impact and results
- Responds positively to critical and feedback
- Encourages creativity and innovation
- Conflict resolution skills
- Master degree or equivalent in international development, social sciences, public administration or other relevant field
- 5 years of relevant work experience ( Fundraising, Projet management or program management)
- Demonstrated experience in human rights
- Demonstrated experience in Palestine
- Proven experience working with Government, civil society, international organizations and donors
- knowledge of accounting systems
- Proven ability to draft, edit and produce written proposals and results-focused reports
- Leadership and project management skills, including strong project monitoring skills
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, both writing and oral
- Experience and proficiency in the use of computers and office software packages
- Excellent written and spoken English
- Good Arabic is an asset
- Knowledge of Spanish is an asset