Addameer Prisoner Support and Human Rights Association (Addameer) is a Palestinian non-governmental human rights civil institution that focuses on political and civil rights issues in occupied Palestinian territory, especially those of prisoners. Established in Jerusalem in 1992 by a group of activists and human rights advocates, Addameer offers support to Palestinian prisoners and detainees, advocates for the rights of political prisoners, and works to end torture and arbitrary detention and to guarantee fair trials through monitoring, legal procedures and advocacy campaigns.
The International Advocacy Officer works as part of Addameer’s Advocacy Unit, whose primary objective is to lobby domestic and international decision-makers to adopt policies that protect human rights as stipulated in international humanitarian and human rights law. The Advocacy Unit strives to achieve this role by raising awareness on the violation of human rights of Palestinian prisoners held in both Israeli and Palestinian detention. It is additionally tasked with implementing local and international campaigns that support issues related to the rights of prisoners and detainees. The Advocacy Unit works through a number of local and international coalitions and committees.
The International Advocacy Officer liaises with the Advocacy Unit Coordinator, the Legal Unit and the Monitoring and Documentation staff to produce high quality legal advocacy material on Palestinian political prisoners and detainees; she/he will monitor and also be responsible for conducting specific legal advocacy projects at the international level.
Closing date: 4/8/2020
Location: occupied Palestinian - Ramallah
- Define, lead and implement the Advocacy Unit’s legal advocacy strategy, including UN and EU level advocacy;
- Assist in developing Addameer’s overall international advocacy strategy;
Lobbying & Advocacy:
- Liaise with diplomatic missions in the OPT and regularly inform them of policy changes, individual violations of prisoner and detainee rights and systematic patterns of violations by drafting lobbying letters, giving presentations and briefings on topic-related issues, and organizing field visits to Israeli military courts;
- Lobby relevant UN bodies, including Human Rights Council special procedures, by submitting individual complaints and reports and representing Addameer at the UN, including within the Protection Cluster system in the oPt;
- Liaise with international and local human rights NGOs by submitting individual cases and responding to inquiries related to prisoners’ rights;
- Brief delegations and solidarity groups on the situation of Palestinian prisoners and expand Addameer’s networks for advocacy activities;
- Organize and undertake Addameer speaking tours as needed and represent Addameer at various conferences, meetings, and workshops relevant to the Advocacy Unit’s work;
- Coordinate with grassroots movements, and organizations, globally;
- Draft and produce English-language outreach and advocacy products including factsheets, legal position papers, brochures, and audio-visual projects;
- Draft and produce all other advocacy material, including Addameer’s monthly newsletter, press releases, prisoner profiles, and other campaign material;
- Assist in the design of Addameer’s advocacy and campaign materials
Research & Monitoring:
- Assist in identifying research topics and draft research proposals and report outlines, in close consultation with the Legal Researcher, and the Documentation and Legal Units;
- Monitor UN treaty bodies and special procedures mechanisms in order to identify advocacy opportunities and drive initiatives related to these opportunities
- Monitor media, UN, NGO and academic reports on a daily basis to identify new developments affecting prisoners and detainees in the OPT;
- Analyze new violation incidents within their legal and political context and with reference to previously recorded incidents in order to identify trends;
- Carry out legal research in consultation with the Documentation and Research Unit and draft legal position papers and other reports based on this research;
- Participate in the overall review and editing of Addameer advocacy products, including papers, reports and the annual violations report;
- Define and implement Addameer’s media strategy; arrange and undertake media interviews and briefings; expand Addameer’s network of foreign correspondents; and respond to media inquiries;
- Supervise the work of legal and advocacy interns.
- Participate in Addameer’s yearly strategic planning processes
جميع الحقوق محفوظة لموقع جوبس.
COMPETENCIES & SKILLS
- Relevant law, international affairs, or political science degree with academic coursework in international human rights and humanitarian law;
- A minimum of two years of relevant work experience in human rights monitoring, research and/or advocacy;
- Ability to conduct advocacy and lobbying at regional and international levels;
- Familiarity with UN human rights mechanisms;
- Excellent English speaking, writing and editing skills: ability to write clear, concise and well-structured reports and other publications on human rights issues in English;
- Excellent research and analytical skills;
- Strong interest and sound understanding of current international affairs; good understanding of international policies towards the Palestinian context and the Middle East;
- Strong working knowledge of Arabic and English;
- Strong commitment to human rights and social justice principles;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills;
- Good organizational skills;
- Ability to work under pressure and as part of a team, willingness to work long hours if required, and ability to work in an intercultural environment.
- Knowledge of prisoners’ rights and issues related to detention.
Please send your CV, cover letter and a short unedited writing sample to: [email protected]