- Content production: To produce, manage and share a wide range of quality communications content through regular visits to the field. This will include well-written human interest case studies with high-resolution photos and engaging video stories and footage.
- Service delivery: To provide a fast, efficient and quality all-round media and communications service to Human Appeal country as well as global headquarters, in line with the reporting and content requirements provided whilst adhering to the relevant policies and guidelines including best practice ethical standards for the NGO sector.
- Communications strategy: To develop and deliver a local communications strategy in line with Human Appeal’s global vision and brand in order to support our programmes, marketing, campaigns and advocacy work.
- Media and PR: To proactively build Human Appeal country’s positive media and PR profile, increasing visibility and credibility amongst key stakeholders through engaging journalists, pitching stories, writing blogs, managing local social media channels, hosting live/remote events and other initiatives.
- To be responsible for gathering, editing and sharing high quality multimedia content from Human Appeal Palestine’s key field locations in order to meet the needs of global stakeholders in a timely manner and according to pre-agreed deadlines and specifications.
- To arrange and visit field locations, often in remote and difficult areas at short notice, in order to collect media material including identifying people to interview, gaining consent, carrying out detailed recorded interviews, taking photos and recording appropriate video footage.
- To proactively propose and produce media content to communicate the humanitarian, development and advocacy challenges in the region and the impact of Human Appeal’s work.
- To manage all Human Appeal Palestine's media content including editing, sorting, labelling, translating, updating and sharing on the appropriate platforms - including Human Appeal’s photo and video database - in an accurate and efficient way.
- To develop and maintain a library of media resource materials and products enabling provision of content on demand.
- To design and publish communications products, including banners and videos, in accordance with Human Appeal’s brand guidelines.
- To provide a fast and efficient all round media and communications service to colleagues in Human Appeal Palestine and at headquarters.
- To manage one’s own time and schedule to ensure all content deadlines are met and allow contingency for unexpected requests and emergencies.
- To research, prepare, fact-check and produce professional media and communications materials for different audiences, ensuring all necessary approvals and timely dissemination.
- To produce regular reports and media summaries, as well as support the production of Human Appeal’s reports including donor feedback reports, the Annual Report and the reporting requirements of institutional partners.
- To provide content ideas and stories to local and global colleagues, and support them with accompanying media materials as required.
- To manage Human Appeal Palestine’s local communication needs including producing newsletters, reports, briefings and presentations.
- To ensure a work log of activities has been filled out, enhancing transparency and accountability of work conducted.
- Develop and implement a communications strategy for Human Appeal Palestine in line with the organisation’s global strategy.
- Support the development of project communications plans and provide advice for programme staff.
- Ensure adherence to Human Appeal ethical policies including safeguarding, consent, dignity, data protection and inclusion across all Human Appeal country communications and practices.
- Ensure the visibility and correct use of Human Appeal branding and logo across all programme activities and publicity, including managing the requirements of donors and institutional partners.
- Encourage, develop and provide guidance to field staff to adhere to contribute to the media activities of Human Appeal and adhere to communications policies.
- Stay up to date with the latest thinking on how to improve effectiveness of media and communication approaches and impact.
- Develop communications-related tools and templates as required.
- Maintain and protect Human Appeal’s communication tools and assets including camera equipment.
To work closely with the communications team at headquarters to develop Human Appeal’s messaging to public media audiences.
To raise awareness of humanitarian, development and advocacy issues in Human Appeal’s areas of work, whilst maximising publicity of the impact of our programmes.
To liaise regularly with international teams (Communications, Fundraising, Marketing and Programmes) on campaigns such as Ramadan, Qurbani, Winter and others to ensure maximum visibility.
To host livestreams, webinars and digital events including live coverage of our programmes activity.
To organise advocacy and PR campaigns, events and other initiatives in alignment with the global communications priorities of Human Appeal.
To prepare messages, speeches, blogs and other media content for the Head of Mission, senior staff and other colleagues including sector specialists.
To build strong relationships with local media, regularly pitching stories and content ideas.
To develop press releases, reactive lines, questions and answers and to organise press conferences, media briefings and visits of journalists and VIPs to programme locations.
To manage Human Appeal’s in-country communications including social media platforms where appropriate and with appropriate sign-offs.
To proactively and/or reactively deal with all media inquiries and escalate issues to appropriate senior staff where required.
To monitor and to evaluate news and media coverage generated to draw lessons to improve coverage.
To develop and maintain a database of local, regional and international media correspondents.
Any other communications-related task as required or directed.
The job description is not intended to be exhaustive and it is likely that duties may be altered from time to time in light of changing circumstances and after consultation with the post holder.
Performs other related duties as required.
جميع الحقوق محفوظة لموقع جوبس.
Experience and Technical Competencies
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience working in the media and communication environment, and advocacy either as a journalist or as a media and communication officer in a development, campaigns or humanitarian organisation.
- A degree in a relevant communications subject, English or international development. MA degree is an asset
- Excellent communication skills in written and verbal English as well as the Arabic language.
- Compliance with best practice policies on aid work and communications especially in relation to behaviour in the field and interacting with vulnerable people.
- IT literacy including using Microsoft Office, photo and video editing software and design programmes.
- Ability to work with digital equipment, filming and editing skills for short audio and video packages.
- Experience of producing quality media materials including writing human interest stories, production of videos and excellent photography skills.
- Demonstrable understanding of issues related to aid and international development in the humanitarian context.
- Ability to manage own workload with minimal supervision and produce high quality communication materials within tight deadlines.
- Ability to adjust to changing situations and travel at short notice while maintaining focus on delivery and follow-through.
- Flexibility to work out of hours when required especially as busy times such as during emergencies or Human Appeal’s annual Ramadan period.
- Ability to remain resilient when faced with tragic situations and stories.
- Strong English writing skills, preferably with a history of writing for the media.
- Experience in conducting interviews with strong awareness of how to engage sensitively with people experiencing suffering and trauma.
- Strong digital skills in hosting livestreams, video conferencing and using social media (websites/Twitter/blogs/Facebook etc.)
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to develop and maintain relationships.
- Ability to work creatively, effectively and in an innovative manner.
- Ability to maintain the highest level of confidentiality in relation to work, privacy and data.
- Willingness to travel in-country and out-country when required.
- Design and other production skills would be an advantage.
We are seeking a humanitarian person who is driven to help those in need and has the passion and skills to communicate the stories of those in need – and our efforts to help them - with sensitivity, honesty, and creativity.
This is a fantastic opportunity for an experienced Media & Communications Officer to take the step in their career by joining our rapidly expanding global organisation.
We are looking for immediate hires so for the best chance of success please APPLY TODAY as we will be reviewing candidates on a rolling basis.
Please make sure to upload your CV and Cover Letter outlining how your experience, skills, qualification and professional background fit with the position requirements in your application.