Job Title: INTIQAL Community Engagement Officer
Start Date: April 1st, 2023
End Date: December 31st, 2023
Première Urgence Internationale is a French non-profit, non-political, non-religious non-governmental international organization (NGO); which has been operational in the Occupied Palestinian Territory since 2002.
PUI is operating in the West Bank, including East Jerusalemand Gaza Strip. The organization is working in different fields such as shelter, Food security and livelihoods, Agriculture, Heritage, Economic recovery and Cultural Heritage.
In cooperation with academic partners, Première Urgence Internationale is carrying out a multidimensional program: INTIQAL; to strengthen the professional training of young people and their capacity for resilience through the protection and promotion of cultural heritage.
Premiere Urgence Internationale has received funding to develop the project: “Protection and promotion of Palestinian tangible and intangible Cultural heritage at local, national and international levels” promoting heritage as a tool to develop capacities and opportunities for youth from South Hebron Hills, North Jordan Valley, Gaza Strip and Syria.
The INTIQAL Community Engagement Officer in West Bank (including EJ) will work closely with his/her counterpart in the Gaza Strip and INTIQAL2030 team to achieve the targets of the project and will be responsible to strengthen PUI’s role in its holistic approach to cultural heritage protection.
The Community Engagement Officer will be under the direct supervision of the West Bank Field Coordinator and working in close collaboration with Gaza Community engagement officer and Intiqal consortium Coordinator.
This is a full-time position from Sundays to Thursdays.
Duties And Responsibilities:
Strengthen PUI’s role in its holistic approach to tangible and intangible cultural heritage protection.
- Ensure the intangible cultural heritage component is effectively and efficiently coordinated and implemented among key stakeholders in West Bank (including EJ).
- Support the follow up of the protection and restoration works in the archeological sites..
- Ensure the capacity building program is effectively and efficiently coordinated among key stakeholders.
- Engage local communities into effective participation in caring for, understanding and valuing their cultural heritage.
- Support the promotion of Palestinian cultural heritage at local, national and regional levels.
- Ensure a close coordination and collaboration with administrative, logistic and M&E departments
Ensure the intangible cultural heritage component is effectively and efficiently coordinated and implemented among key stakeholders in West Bank (including EJ)
- Prepare the selection criteria for the selection of participants to join the intangible cultural heritage activity,
- Ensure that gender, diversity and disability are taken into consideration during the selection process,
- Ensure that all official documents of participants are available,
- Participate in the regular technical committee meetings to oversee the implementation of the intangible cultural heritage component.
- Prepare the Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) to be signed with beneficiaries in close coordination with Admin. & finance assistant and WB Field Coordinator,
- Organize informative meetings with selected participants about the project and its activities in collaboration with logistic assistant for safety/security measures,
- Ensure regular meetings with participants on work progress, challenges and solutions,
- Follow up the attendance of participants.
- Liaise with Coventry University co-lead in south of the West Bank to ensure the implementation of the activities is progressing and respect the deadlines.
Coordinate with Admin. & Finance assistant to ensure safe and timely payments of participants.
Support the follow up of the protection and restoration works in the archeological sites.
- Support the follow up the progress of the protection and restoration works in the archeological sites through regular site visits,
- Liaise with logistic assistant for facilitating the provision of required materials and equipment,
- Support the Consortium Coordinator and WB Field Coordinator in facilitating the intervention/visit of external actors on project sites (experts, partners, visitors, etc.).
Ensure the capacity building program is effectively and efficiently coordinated among key stakeholders.
- In coordination with Gaza counterparts, prepare the selection criteria for the selection of students to join the capacity building program,
- Ensure that gender, diversity and disability are taken into consideration during the selection process,
- Ensure that all official documents of students and new graduates are available,
- Coordinate with academic/local partners and follow up the selection process of the students/new graduates.
- Prepare the Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) to be signed with beneficiaries of the capacity building program in close coordination with Admin.& finance assistant and WB Field Coordinator,
- Organize informative meetings with selected students and new graduates about the project and its activities in collaboration with security and logistic manager for safety measures,
- Ensure regular meetings with the students, and communities on project progress, challenges and solutions,
- Organize creative drawing competition for architecture students with partner academic institution(s)
Engage local communities into effective participation in caring for, understanding and valuing their cultural heritage.
- Support the communication strategy for the heritage protection and community participation projects in close collaboration with INTIQAL Consortium Coordinator, WB Field Coordinator, and international experts,
- Participate in designing, producing and distributing of booklets with high resolution photos.
- Participate in producing educational brochures on heritage in close collaboration with French expert in charge of program,
- Translate any relevant document to be used for sites visits.
- Support the organization of sites visits in close collaboration with intern guides.
- Develop and update key documents and presentation on the targeted sites and intangible heritage
- Organize awareness sessions on the importance of cultural heritage in West Bank for local communities in close collaboration with Gaza counterparts andIntiqal teams,
- Develop educational materials and activities for children in close collaboration with international experts in charge of program,
- Keep a daily follow up of different activities implemented with students and youth and communities through photography
- Assist in providing photos and simple progress reports on works implemented in the targeted sites for the social media channels of the project.
Support the promotion of Palestinian cultural heritage at local, national and regional levels.
- Support the planning and implementation of communication activities on sites in close collaboration with WB Field Coordinator and experts working in the project.
- Assist in the organization of the media interviews in close collaboration with PUI logistic assistant and in coordination with Ministry of Tourism and Antiquities,
- Contribute to spread information to the participants about the symposium on understanding and protecting tangible and intangible cultural heritage
- Contribute to facilitate the use by communities of the smartphone application on Palestinian cultural heritage and distribute it to Palestinian cultural associations.
Ensure a close coordination and collaboration with administrative, logistic and M&E departments
- In close collaboration and coordination with PUI admin and finance unit, ensure incentive payments are done timely and in respect of procedures,
- In close collaboration with PUI logistic assistant, organize the purchase of materials and equipment necessary for the successful completion of the project,
- Ensure close follow up of distributed materials notably safety tools and liaise with logistic assistant
- In close collaboration with M&E manager, support the setup of focus group discussions for the community members and beneficiaries, participate in selection of CBOs, follow up the achievements of indicators and other relevant M&E works.
- In close collaboration with M&E manager, ensure the feedback mechanisms are in place and well understood by all involved workers and students in the project,
- Weekly reports
- Monthly reports
- Donor reports as scheduled
- Final report
- Assist WB Field Coordinator and INTIQAL Consortium Coordinator in proposals writing when necessary
Coordination with key stakeholders:
- In close coordination with WB Field Coordinator, liaise with local and national authorities representatives,
- Coordinate planned community engagement activities with local cultural associations,
- Support coordination with Ministry of Education for awareness sessions
- Keep close coordination with partners and academic partners for cultural events
جميع الحقوق محفوظة لموقع جوبس.
Experiences & Essential qualities
- Background in architecture and or archaeology fields
- 4 years of previous experiences in similar activities with national or an international NGO
- Strong experience in community participation and education in the field of cultural heritage protection and promotion.
- Written and verbal fluency in English and Arabic.
- Strong communication, interpersonal and public speaking skills.
- Good analytical skills and capacity to present data in clear and concise manner.
- Innovation and initiation: capacity to propose new visions, new solutions, new ideas, and capitalization tools.
- Mobility between the different locations (Nablus, South Hebron Hills, North Jordan Valley) of implementation.
- Assist in researches and secondary review when needed for new development proposals
- Duty station of this position will be between Nablus Base & Ramallah Coordination office. Flexibility should be in place to work from Jerusalem as well when needed.
PUI provides a work environment that reflects the values of integrity, diversity and gender equality. Therefore, we strongly encourage applications from women and underrepresented cultural or social groups, particularly people with disabilities and people from communities highly affected by occupation-related violence (including settler violence).
All PUI workers adhere to the values and principles outlined in the PUI Code of Conduct and policies, including the Protection from Exploitation and Abuse Policy and the Child Protection Policy.”
If you believe you are the candidate we are looking for, please submit a cover letter and a detailed resume before February 07, 2023 04:00 pm, by sending an e-mail to
Please indicate the Position Title ("INTIQAL Community Engagement Officer ") in the E-mail subject line.
Incomplete applications will not be considered. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.