PREMIERE-URGENCE INTERNATIONAL (PUI) is an international, apolitical, non-religious and non-profit French organization intervening in 20 countries worldwide to provide a global response on the fundamental needs to victims of humanitarian crisis from the emergency to the restoration of their autonomy and dignity. Première-Urgence and Aide Médicale Internationale merged in 2011 to offer a better range of lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to communities affected by humanitarian crisis.
PUI’s humanitarian and development aid strategy focuses on providing support to populations affected by the coercive environment and subsequent violations of IHL/HR in both the West Bank (WB) and the Gaza Strip (GS). It combined several sectors to prevent the loss of livelihoods and displacements of population as a consequence of protection threats, lack of services (Health, Education, WASH), and lack of access to agricultural lands or job opportunities.
The Head of Base is responsible for the proper functioning of the project site, and proper implementation of programs developed on that site.
Tasks and Responsibilities
- Safety: He/She is responsible of the safety of the site.
- Strategy / Fundraising: He/She participates in strategy development and proposes new interventions in function of needs identified in his/her field of operations. He / She actively contributes to the drafting of relevant project proposals.
- Programs: He/She coordinates the teams, and ensures proper implementation of programs on the site, under the supervision of his/her immediate supervisor.
- Human Resources: He/She supervises all of the teams at the site, as well as national and international staff.
- Logistical, administrative and financial support: He/She oversees the logistical, administrative and financial components at the site for the purpose of program implementation, and ensures compliance with the relevant procedures, with substantive support from the Administrative and Logistics Coordinator of the mission.
- Representation: He/She represents the organization before the partners, authorities, and various local actors operating in the area where his/her base is located.
- Coordination: He/She centralizes and disseminates information from/to the site, and consolidates the internal and external reporting activities implemented in his/her field of operations before submitting them to the immediate supervisor.
Specific Goals and Related Activities
- ENSURE THE SAFETY OF PROPERTY AND PEOPLE AT THE SITE
- He/She ensures that the safety plan for the site is up-to-date, and that everyone knows and understands it (both expatriates and locals).
- He/She ensures data collection relative to the safety on his/her field of operations, provides analyses, and disseminates them to his/her immediate supervisor regularly or on an ad-hoc basis if urgent.
- He/She verifies that the material and human resource means at his/her disposal are adequate to ensure the optimal safety of teams, materials and beneficiaries.
- He/She alerts his/her immediate supervisor without delay in case of impending danger of teams or beneficiaries.
- In the event of a security incident, (regardless of whether it took place or was avoided), he/she ensures that the information is transmitted to his/her immediate supervisor without delay, and reported upon in accordance with PUI guidelines.
- PARTICIPATE IN STRATEGY DEVELOPMENT, PROPOSE NEW INTERVENTIONS AND CONTRIBUTES TO FUNDRAISING
- He/She participates in the Strategy development exercise of the mission and draft the West Bank programming strategy on a yearly basis.
- He/She proposes new interventions and discusses them with his/her immediate supervisor.
- He/She is involved in identifying and assessing needs on the basis of agreed TOR (Terms of Reference) and with endorsement from his/her immediate supervisor.
- When defining new operational activities, he/she coordinates the work of the relevant technical departments and of the administrative and logistical support teams, with a view to preparing project proposals that are complete, and in line with the donors’ formats and internal rules of PUI.
- ENSURE THE IMPLEMENTATION OF PROGRAMS
- He/She ensures the smooth running of ongoing programs on the site (meeting of objectives, respecting time-lines, budgetary monitoring, contractual reporting…) and reports to his/her immediate supervisor.
- He/She sets up a formal coordination system, directs it in the field (meetings, written reports...), and reports to his/her immediate supervisor.
- He/She ensures proper filing of all documents produced in the context of the project(s), and ensures the availability of the verification sources mentioned in the proposals.
- He/She ensures smooth coordination with the WB M&E manager (under DHoM management). He/she facilitates the implementation of M&E activities alongside operations and enables the dissemination of M&E findings within the team to foster a continuous learning process.
- SUPERVISE TEAMS OF NATIONAL AND INTERNATIONAL STAFF AT THE SITE
- He/She supervises all national and international teams on the site.
- He/She guides the work of the expatriates at the site, tracks the realization of their objectives, and leads the mid-term and final evaluation exercises.
- He/She participates in the hiring process, as well as in any decision related to the termination of employment contracts of local personnel on the site.
- He/She ensures compliance with the Internal Rules of Procedure of PUI on the site.
- He/She is in charge of administrative management of local personnel, in particular, payroll operations, monitoring absences, constructing, updating and archiving administrative files of personnel.
- He/She makes sure that all local employees are subject to a written evaluation at least once per contract period and per year.
- He/She assumes or delegates responsibility for the integration of any new employee on the site, and ensures, in particular, that the context of program implementation, safety rules, logistical, administrative, HR and financial procedures, as well as procedures for the use of communication and transportation are explained and understood.
- He/She completes training programs for expatriate and local staff (organizational support, methodology, technical support as the case may be organization of training sessions…).
- He/She drafts or delegates responsibility for the drafting of job profiles for expatriates about to be replaced or hired and sends them for endorsement to his/her immediate supervisor.
- He/She prepares the job profiles of local staff under his/her immediate supervision, endorses job profiles of local staff drafted by the Technical Managers at his/her site, and forwards them for endorsement to the Admin-Log Coordinator, and to any other potentially relevant party, (depending on the position).
- He/She constructs the organizational chart of the base, and has it endorsed by his/her immediate supervisor and the Admin-Log Coordinator.
- He/She handles the management of interpersonal conflicts that arise on his/her site, and refers the matter to his/her immediate supervisor in the event that he/she is not able to resolve dispute.
- He/She is the guardian of the image of PUI in his/her area of operation, and in that capacity ensures that the entire staff under his/her authority displays behavior consistent with the values upheld by the organization, and with full respect for the local culture.
- ENSURE LOGISTICAL, ADMINISTRATIVE AND FINANCIAL SUPPORT FOR THE SITE
- He/ She supervises the Admin-Log unit of the base (including 1 Admin Officer and 1 Log Officer) in coordination with the Admin-Log Coordinator and ensures that internal & donor procedures are respected, commitments are in line with available budgets.
- He/She ensures through the Admin-Log unit, that the needs of the site are met (support, programming) and makes the needs known to the Admin-Log Coordinator each month.
- He/She ensures that the site is equipped with the minimum of infrastructure (offices and housing) necessary for execution of the work and accommodation of teams, in optimal conditions of safety.
- He/She oversees the vehicle fleet, and more globally ensures its proper functioning, as well as the maintenance of all equipment belonging to the site.
- He/She ensures adequate storage arrangements for all property and equipment.
- He/She ensures proper delivery of all purchases planned for the operational sites.
- He/She prepares and updates the inventory of supplies and equipment for the site, and submits it to the Admin-Log Coordinator.
- He/She is responsible for cost optimization; and uses budget tracking to achieve this; he/she ensures adequate financial resources for the running of the site.
- As regards budgetary monitoring, he/she participates in team-based analysis (along with technical, administrative and logistics management) and is responsible for detecting anomalies and proposing adjustments to his/her immediate supervisor and to the AFC.
- He/She supervises the bookkeeping and ensures that accounting entries are completed in compliance with internal rules, and communicated to the Admin-Log Coordinator according to the agreed calendar.
- Together with the Admin-Log Coordinator, he/she tracks the cash flow for his/her site, and oversees disbursements.
- Together with the Admin-Log Coordinator, he/she ensures that a system of internal oversight is in place at the site. He/She ensures compliance with procedures for undertaking expenditure commitments, and participates in the process of endorsing purchase orders.
- ENSURE THE REPRESENTATION OF PUI IN THE JURISDICTION COVERED BY HIS/HER SITE
- He/She represents the association before local actors, whether they are official or not, and ensures that good relations are maintained with each of them in compliance with PUI’s principles of neutrality and independence.
- He/She attends main coordination meetings when they take place, and participates actively.
- In the event of visits from Donors, he/she participates in the organization and implementation of the visit. He/She may also initiate such visits when relevant to highlight specific trends or spikes related to the programs’ focus.
- ENSURE REPORTING AND DISSEMINATION OF INFORMATION
- He/She is responsible for writing donor reports for programs implemented on his/her site; reports which are wholly or partly drafted by him/her (involving consolidation of technical sections drafted by the technical managers and/or resource persons on his/her site).
- He/She sends the internal and external reports to his/her immediate supervisor while meeting the internal deadlines for endorsement (Situation Report, incident report) and external contractual deadlines (project reports).
- He/She organizes the two-way dissemination of information: from the site to the field coordination and from the field coordination to the site (regular and ad-hoc Situation reporting).
- He/She attends internal coordination meetings and participates actively.
Focus on 3 priority activities relating to the context of the mission
- Develop and strengthen the protection approach, in close cooperation with the Consortium Partners
- Develop PUI LRRD strategy, linking protection and livelihood and women economic empowerment programs
- Build-up and develop Nablus base, especially with regards to upgrading logistic and administrative autonomy
Number of people to manage and their position (expatriate/local staff)
- Direct management: 3 (local staff)
- Indirect management: 9 (local staff)
Required knowledge and skills
- Master or equivalent in social science, political science, project management, and international development preferred.
- Project Management, Training in public health / Agri / Water, sanitation / Other, Financial Management, Logistics desired.
- Minimum 3 years of experience in humanitarian international organization.
- Experience in Safety Management desired.
- Excellent writing skills, Project Management skills, Team Management
- Knowledge of procedures related to institutional donors (ECHO, EuropAid, CDC, AFD…), Management of vehicle fleets, stocks, supply chains, SAGA software desired.
Required Personal Characteristics (fitting into the team, suitability for the job and assignment)
- Ability to work independently while taking initiatives and showing a sense of responsibility
- Ability to withstand pressure
- Sense of diplomacy
- Analytical skills
- Capacity to adapt and showing organizational flexibility
- Organization, rigor and ability to meet deadlines
- Ability to work and manage affairs professionally and with maturity
- Ability to represent the activities and the mandate of PUI before local authorities
- Ability to integrate the local environment into operations, in its political, economic and historical dimensions
- Ability to work with various partners, in a spirit of openness, and with adaptable communications strategies
PUI provides a work environment that reflects the values of integrity, diversity and gender equality. Therefore, we strongly encourage applications from women and underrepresented cultural or social groups.
If you believe you are the candidate we are looking for, please submit a cover letter and a detailed resume before July 22, 2018, by sending an email to: [email protected]e.ps. Please indicate the Position Title in the E-mail subject line.
Incomplete applications will not be considered. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.