Catholic Relief Services is an international humanitarian agency of the Catholic community in the United States and has been present in the Jerusalem, West Bank, and Gaza since 1961. The CRS JWBG country program currently supports development/relief programs and activities in the sectors of civil society, humanitarian assistance, youth empowerment, education, and peace & justice. For further information about CRS, please visit: www.crs.org.
CRS is seeking a highly qualified consultant (Environmental, Civil Engineer or relevant engineering background) to provide expertise on the feasibility and use of various environmentally friendly, or “green”, shelter rehabilitation and repair technologies and solutions as per the following scope of work:
The Humanitarian Needs Overview (HNO) report (Shelter and NFI HNO 2022) estimated that 943,000 individuals in Gaza, as of the beginning of 2022, need humanitarian assistance to access adequate shelter with a minimum level of privacy, protection, and dignity. The JWBG CP implements several resilience projects with shelter rehabilitation and NFI components. During this process, CRS and partner engineers focus on (a) minimizing negative environmental impacts of the rehabilitations themselves, and (b) supporting families to integrate environmentally friendly technologies in their rehabilitation.
CRS in its continuous effort to mainstream environmentally friendly practices is implementing an initiative to explore, document, and learn from strategies to promote the awareness, influence, and adoption of environmentally friendly solutions to shelter rehabilitation. Through this initiative, CRS and its implementing partners will review current project approaches and pilot and learn from strengthened environment-related approaches.
Scope of Work:
This scope of work (SOW) describes the services, tasks, and responsibilities of an Environmentally Friendly Shelter Rehabilitation Consultant. The consultant will support CRS and its partner activities to ensure that the team has the necessary tools and knowledge to effectively promote green solutions among its shelter rehabilitation participants. This includes exploring opportunities, challenges and barriers faced by families related to green technologies in shelter programming and how to address them in a way that encourages families to rely more heavily on environmentally friendly solutions.
This consultant will work closely with CRS’ Gaza resilience team and global shelter and settlements technical advisors to achieve the following specific objectives:
- Provide technical, context-specific inputs into the identification of feasible, cost-friendly environmental shelter solutions available in Gaza in collaboration with the JWBG team
- Work with the resilience team to foster innovation and creativity related to greening the shelter solutions in their daily work with the shelter rehabilitation projects.
- Provide recommendations/plan to improve and enhance the adoption and influence of environmentally friendly practices and solutions within the shelter rehabilitation projects.
Responsibilities of the Consultant- consultant (Environmental, Civil Engineer or relevant engineering background):
- Participate in the design phase with some ideas, thoughts related to the greening of the shelter responses on the household level that help in drafting the strategy for greening the shelter response
- Review the existing Environmentally Friendly Plan (EMP) and provide clear feedback on it for improvement and contextualized it
- Propose cost-effective local solutions with potential to impact adoption of green shelter solutions on the household level. It should have cost estimation analysis
- Prepare a plan which covers methodology to minimizing negative impacts of shelter rehabilitation in Gaza. It should have submitted to CRS for approval.
- Engage in one-to-one and group discussions with the project team.
- Share with CRS recommendations for further promising environmentally friendly practices on the household levels.
- Provide thoughts on the selection criteria for the project participants who is eligible for environmental friendly assistance
- Provide inputs/recommendations and share thoughts to the CRS team and CRS technical advisor during his presence in Gaza (One week in mid of October for design validation and another week in March for capturing lesson learned)
- Facilitate key informant interviews (KIIs) with relevant stakeholders like shelter cluster coordinator and relevant organizations
The consultant is expected to deliver the following:
- Conduct one-to-one meetings with the Technical Advisor and the resilience team
- Contribute to criteria for eligible project participants to receive financial support for environmentally friendly technologies
- Document the output from the (KIIs)
- Identify at least 5 cost-effective local solutions design for environment friendly solutions on the household level. It should have cost estimation analysis and barrier analysis for each solution.
- Revised Environmentally Friendly Plan (EMP) with feedback and any additional sections that could enrich and contextualize the document, including a plan which covers methodology to minimizing negative impacts of shelter rehabilitation in Gaza
جميع الحقوق محفوظة لموقع جوبس.
Profile of the Consultant
- Master’s degree in environmental engineering, civil engineering, or a related field
- At least 5 years of experience in environmentally friendly businesses or a related field
- Demonstrated experience in designing and delivering trainings
- Experience working with local or international NGOs preferred
- Excellent analytical, writing and communication skills
- Fluency in Arabic and English (all deliverables must be delivered in English)
- CRS has the right to request illustrations or modifications/negotiations after awarding decision.
- CRS is NOT committed to the least price offer and has the right to cancel or re-advertise this TOR without explicating the reasons.
- CRS may select more than one consultant(s) to complete the full scope of this Scope of Work. If this is the case, the components for which each individual is responsible will be made clear in each respective contract.
Interested applicants with relevant experience and qualifications are encouraged to apply as follows (all application materials must be submitted in English):
- Resume (CV)
- Statement: How your experience will ensure successful completion of this service.
- Proposed agenda for a Training (Arabic and English).
- A sample of the work by the trainer related to the training topics.
- List of materials to be used (Please include as much detail as possible).
- Proposed timeline for the other project deliverables.
- Fill out the CRS Consultancy Application Form and Financial offer (ANNEX A). (You can download the application from this link)
- Interested applicants with relevant experience and qualifications are encouraged to apply through the CRS portal http://jobs.crsjwbg.org/Tenders/index no later than October 18, 2022.
The rate shall be proposed by the consultant per working day (where a working day is 8 hours) paid at the end of each month according to the total days worked per aggregated working hours for CRS Review and Approval, in addition to a Tax deduction at source certificate. In case the certificate is not presented, CRS will deduct 5% of the value of that payment and submitted on behalf of the consultant to the tax department. The daily rate (based on the deliverables) must include utilizing one’s own, laptop, internet connection, mobile phone and transportation to the locations.
- The successful bidder will sign all donor required documents.
- CRS reserves the right to reject all bids, and to decide not to pursue this procurement.
- CRS is not obliged to procure the lowest priced offer, when the lowest price does not offer the best overall value and all other factors considered.
CRS is an equal opportunity employer, where qualified women, people with disabilities, and other underrepresented populations are encouraged to apply and to seek CRS support on the application process where additional accommodation is required.
For any questions, kindly contact CRS at [email protected].