Rights Respected, People Protected
The Norwegian Refugee Council is an independent humanitarian organisation helping people forced to flee. We work in crises in 31 countries, where we help save lives, rebuild futures and promote the rights of people who are displaced. We deliver high-quality aid where needs are greatest, in both new and protracted crises.
In Palestine, NRC provides humanitarian assistance and promotes respect for international law in one of the longest-running displacement crises in modern history. In the West Bank, including East Jerusalem, and Gaza, NRC’s work includes emergency preparedness and response, education, ICLA, protection, shelter and WASH.
The Better Learning Program- BLP is a big component of the NRC education Program in Gaza; it is the result of a successful, long-standing research practice collaboration between NRC and the University of Tromso. BLP offers psycho-social support through a three-phased intervention: i) classroom-based psycho-educational support approach targeted at all children integrated flexibly into classroom practice and linked with other PSS topics/approaches (BLP1), ii) a small group intervention to support resilience among a more specific target group of academic under achievers through five group sessions facilitated by teachers (BLP2) ; and iii) specialized, clinical approach to address nightmares which many children experience as chronic symptom of traumatic stress, consisting in individual and group sessions provided by school counsellors (BLP3). Recently, the NRC Education Program in Gaza- Palestine intends to carry out an EiE new intervention, this intervention will be three-fold: 1) support most vulnerable MoEHE schools focusing on helping children recover their lost or reduced learning capacity, strengthen resilience and promote well-being by applying the BLP. 2) Support the DES through the provision of material assistance. 3) Coaching programs for teachers and counselors that may include INEE Conflict Sensitive Education (CSE), Teachers in Crises Contexts (TiCC), PSS-BLP and Emergency Preparedness; and 4) the constitution of a strategic Advisory Group, falling under the education sub-cluster.
Roles and Responsibilities
The purpose of the Education officer with a focus on research is to contribute to the quality in the implementation of the education project and to support the research work carried out in collaboration with the Universities.
- Ensure adherence with NRC policies, tools, handbooks and guidelines
- Implement delegated Education project portfolio according to plan of action
- Prepare and develop status reports as required by management
- Develop (daily/weekly/monthly) reports to line manager in accordance to internal deadline
- Ensure proper filing of documents
- Ensure that projects target beneficiaries most in need, and explore and asses new and better ways to assist
- Promote and share ideas for technical improvement
- Ensure regular information sharing with TOs on project thematic areas
- Ensure minimum 80% of the time participating in activities related to the research project ‘Learning on the Margins’ (based on research workplan it might be 50%-50% in certain periods and less in others)
- Coordinate and participate in several workshops with sector partners throughout the research project and support the effective dissemination of interim research findings throughout.
- Support the dissemination and completion of an online survey to be completed by sector partners on how they currently understand and measure education vulnerability for the purposes of targeting of schools/learners for specific interventions.
- Lead and/or support the completion of several focus groups/interviews with students, teachers and school officials about the risks to learning faced in highly vulnerable school communities, including transcription and/or translation of interview data.
- Work closely with relevant education service providers (UNRWA and MoEHE), and specifically key officials, relevant directorates, field offices and school officials to facilitate and coordinate access to schools for the collection of data in a timely fashion.
- Support a pilot and then lead data collection on site across target schools which will include conducting the completion of surveys of students , teachers, and school management are completed accurately and within timeframes afforded.
- Accurately enter all data collected from the surveys into a centralised database in a timely fashion.
- Regularly collaborate with technical (Universities and local research outfit/expert) and sector (MoEHE, UNRWA) partners in the implementation of approved research activities and ensure their implementation is in accordance with the agreed plan
- Prepare purchase requisition according to approved activities plan, budget, procurement and requests from PC.
- Participate in team planning, regular meetings, and M&E activities
- Implement, follow up, and supervise the project implementation in assigned schools closely with school management and supervisors/Master Trainers
- Undertake any other reasonable task assigned by management
جميع الحقوق محفوظة لموقع جوبس.
Our Ideal Candidate:
We are looking for a University degree in education or/and other relevant area, with Minimum 3 years’ relevant work experience in the field of education in emergency, experience in the completion of research in the education sector of Palestine, ideally both quantitative and qualitative, knowledge of ethical standards and approaches for the conduct of research in vulnerable contexts, and particularly with those under the age of 18, and commitment to participatory approaches to aid and development.
We are particularly looking for a person with excellent communication skills, who can build trust and confidently navigate both internally and externally at different levels.
In this position, you will join highly motivated and expert staff who are making a difference to the vulnerable people in one of the world's most complex humanitarian crisis.
Contract duration: 1 year
Salary/benefits: According to NRC’s salary scale and terms and conditions
Duty station: Gaza
Start Date: ASAP.
Interested and qualified candidates can apply online through Apply Now - تقدم الآن لهذه الوظيفة