Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is a private, non-profit international humanitarian organization dedicated to providing medical assistance to populations in crisis, without discrimination and regardless of race, religion, creed or political affiliation.
Organize and carry out anesthetic medical activities, according to MSF policies, protocols and universal hygiene standards and in close collaboration with the surgeon and other medical staff, and increase the knowledge and practical skills of the anesthetic staff through on the job training and knowledge transfer in order to ensure the quality of care provided to patients
Place of work: OT in Naser and/or Shifa Hospital
Starting date: 24/01/2021
No Of Jobs: 1
Working Hours: 8 hours per day according to the rosters
Job Shift: Sunday to Thursday from 8 am to 16:00 pm according to the rosters
Contract Duration: Cover maternity leave. Approximately 6 months and renewable according to the operational need.
Required Travel: Not Required but some flexibility may be asked for operational purposes rarely
SCOPE OF RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Carry out pre-operative consultations evaluating the risks of operating in collaboration with the surgeon, providing the patient with appropriate information and deciding the type of anaesthetics to be used, in order to ensure the best conditions prior to the surgery. Carry-out all anaesthesia related activities during surgery to ensure safe, adequate anaesthesia.
- Preparing beforehand the drugs, material, and equipment required.
- Administering and maintaining anaesthetics following the rules of hygiene and asepsis in force.
- Monitoring patients throughout the intervention.
- Ensure transfer of patients to the recovery room, and full recovery of the patient’s consciousness and setting analgesic protocol
- Advise on Postoperative care in both Intensive Care Unit and wards with the surgeon, including fluid management, oxygenation monitoring and airway care and chest physiotherapy and mobilization, with special focus on patient’s pain relief during the recovering process.
- Implement and supervise hygiene rules, procedures and MSF protocols in OT/recovery, anaesthesia material (decontamination, sterilization, storage conditions, etc.) to ensure the safety and protection of patients and staff.
- Supervise the OT pharmacy (drugs orders, inventories, expired drugs) and ensure OT register, consumptions, empty phials of narcotics, ensuring adequate stock is maintained.
- Ensure good functioning and maintenance of OT equipment (oxygen extractor, ventilation, equipment, etc)
- Organize the tasks of personnel under his/her responsibility, and participate and carry-out other team management activities (recruitment, training, performance evaluation, motivation, internal/external communication, etc.), in order to ensure having the appropriate team in terms of size, capabilities and skills.
- Collaborate with other departments in the project (responding to accident emergency department requests, intervening in support of other services when needed, etc.), and participate in any emergency activity or exploratory mission, in order to support the overall MSF project with his/her expertise and capabilities.
- Ensure proper fulfilment of administrative procedures and documents (fill in of patients files, forms, statistics, data base, etc.), and elaborate regular reporting about results, proceedings and problematic situations and cases, in order to have updated and correct information about the day-to-day activity in the project and support decision-taking.
- Implements pain management protocols in peri-, intra- and post- operative care in the OTs, IPDs, and OPDS - including theoretical and on the job trainings to medical and paramedical staff.
- Works with other medical/paramedical staff to ensure project specific protocols (e.g. Bone Sampling and Antibiotic Treatment) are adhered to.
- Anaesthetist acts as first point of support for IPD GPs if further medical advice is required e.g. unstable/deteriorating patient.
- Supports implementation of procedural pain protocols in the IPD, working in close collaboration with the MAM and MTL.
- Provides relevant training (with the support of relevant expat staff) to the IPD medical/paramedical staff to improve the quality of current treatment protocols, and in the delivery of new prtocols.
- May be required to provide anaesthetic support in the use of ‘on-ward’ mild sedation to facilitate procedures (e.g. Dressing changes).
- On-Call Anaesthetist: Acting on-call anaesthetist must be available to provide ‘out of hours’ advice to IPD GPs.
- Provides appropriate general, regional and local anaesthesia in the OT dependent upon skillset and patient requirements.
- Ensures all pain management procedures are in place, available and used.
- Involved in monthly Anaesthetic Quality Assessment Audit.
Position may require work within MSF OPD Clinics. If so, duties may include:
- Supports implementation of procedural pain protocols (including use of EMONO and controlled medications) in the OPD, working in close collaboration with the MAM and MTL.
- May be required to provide anaesthetic support in the use of ‘out of hospital’ mild sedation to facilitate procedures (e.g. Dressing changes).
- Uses, and provides training in, pain assessment tools.
- Works to increase awareness and expertise in pain management for doctors, nurses and physiotherapists, in association with the training nurse and physiotherapy manager.
- Assesses current neuropathic pain protocols and works with the medical and paramedical teams in the clinics to ensure proper diagnosis and follow up of neuropathic pain.
- Provides general training to medical and para-medical teams if required e.g. BLS.
- Provide support in monitoring the prescribing practices of GPs to ensure safe practice. Persisting/or major errors should be escalated to the MAM.
- Can be asked to provide external trainings on pain management to other actors or MoH according to the project needs.
- Can also be asked to be present in pain management advocacy meetings or technical negotiations with external players.
جميع الحقوق محفوظة لموقع جوبس.
- Medical Doctor Degree
- Board certification and completion of specialist training in Anaesthesia essential
- Experience in Anaesthesia for trauma surgery and training in ultrasound guided regional anaesthesia essential
- Desirable, two-year experience as an anaesthetist.
- Having worked in MSF or other NGO’s and in developing countries is desirable.
- Fluency in English essential
- People Management.
Applicants must show their willingness by submitting an updated CV with motivation letter, diploma or professional card attached no later than the 06 January 2021 at 16:00 pm to the following email address
stating the job title in the subject line:
‘No15/2020 POOL OF DOCTORS ANAESTHETISTS - Gaza Project’
ONLY APPLICATIONS IN ENGLISH AND WITH THE ABOVE MAIL TITLE WILL BE CONSIDERED VALID