Job Title: Deputy Head Of Mission
Country And Base Of Posting: Ramallah – West Bank
Reports To: Head Of Mission
Duration: 1 Year (Renewable Based On Fund Availability)
Première Urgence Internationale is a French non-profit, non-political, non-religious non-governmental international organization (NGO); which has been operational in the Occupied Palestinian Territory since 2002.
PUI is operating in the West Bank, including East Jerusalem and Gaza Strip. The organization is working in different fields such as shelter, Food security and livelihoods, Agriculture, Heritage, Economic recovery and Cultural Heritage.
PUI’s humanitarian and development aid strategy focuses on providing support to populations affected by the coercive environment and subsequent violations of international humanitarian/human rights law in both the West Bank (WB) and the Gaza Strip (GS). It combines several sectors of intervention to prevent the loss of livelihoods and displacement of populations as a consequence of protection threats, addresses the lack of services (Health, Education, WASH), and the lack of access to agricultural lands or job opportunities.
Since 2015, PUI’s strategy focuses on providing support to populations affected by the coercive environment and subsequent violations of IHL/HR in both the West Bank (WB) and the Gaza Strip (GS). It combined several sectors to prevent the loss of livelihoods and displacements of population as a consequence of protection threats, lack of services (Health, Education, WASH), and lack of access to agricultural lands or job opportunities.
PUI is leading on several issues including settler violence (WB) and the Access restricted Area (ARA) in the GS.
Bases: Ramallah, Nablus, Gaza (Extensive travel to all PUI bases required)
- Food Security and Livelihood
- Emergency Preparedness and Emergency response Shelter/NFI/WASH
- Gender: Women Economic Empowerment
- Cultural Heritage
The DHoM’s main objective is to ensure the implementation and accountability of PUI’s programs in the oPt.
The DHoM is expected to contribute to the quality assurance of program implementation across all grants. He/she reports to the Head of Mission, in whose absence the Deputy provides interim coverage.
The DHoM is responsible for cross-cutting programmatic information management, sound design of and overseeing assessments, monitoring and evaluation, and ensuring that information collected is reflected upon, used to improve ongoing projects, and incorporated into consistently high quality grant proposals and reports.
Working under the supervision of the Head of Mission and in close collaboration with the Field Coordinators, she/he will be responsible for developing a global Quality Management Policy, coordinating, computerizing, maintaining and constantly improving the M&E system, ensuring that grant proposals, donors’ reports and internal reports are timely and of a high quality, stimulating a constant learning and capacity building process specifically to strengthen national staff capacities.
Finally, she/he will be a key player in the strategy elaboration upon the Head of Mission leadership and in collaboration with the Field Coordinators, both on programmatic and organizational aspects.
She/he will technically manages a team of monitoring and evaluation officers/managers and collaborate closely with the Field Coordinators and with other departments when and as required.
Specific Objectives And Fields Of Responsibility
1. Ensure implementation of programs and propose new interventions, following strategic guidance from the HoM
- He/She ensures effective execution of programs (attainment of objectives, monitoring of indicators, in compliance with the schedule of activities, budget monitoring, contractual report . . .) and reports to the Head of Mission.
- He/She alerts the Head of Mission in cases discrepances in the execution of programs would be identified and proposes adjustments (at the level of activities, intervention area, budget, implementation schedule…)
- He/She monitors humanitarian needs assessments and proposes new interventions to the Head of Mission.
- He/She proposes to bring the identification of needs to the Head of Mission and participate with the HOM if needed.
- He/She initiates national coordination in the field (interdepartmental meetings, reports…)
- He/She assists the Head of Mission in preparing mission strategy.
2. Technical coordination: ensures technical quality and coherence of mission programming
- He/she coordinates and supervises studies carried out by the mission, whether planned under specific grants or designed to develop and share analysis on specific topics
- He/she supervises field assessments, including the drafting of terms of reference, data collection, analysis, drafting of report and presentation of findings
- He/she coordinates lessons learned process at the end of each of implemented projects, in close collaboration with project teams and coordinators
- He/she coordinates the technical components of mission programming
3. MEAL: develops and monitors MEAL processes, ensures the technical management of M&E teams
- She/he coordinates the drafting of M&E frameworks in new project proposals and supervises their implementation through the technical management of the M&E teams in both bases
- She/he follows and supervises the software and database needed to improve the data collection & analysis in addition to strengthening its use at the different stages of the project cycle (regarding M&E, follow-up and evaluation).
- She/he ensures regular training sessions about quality management & M&E process to the local partner and PUI staffs.
- He/she designs and ensures the implementation of archiving procedures at all level of the mission
- She/he supervises the work of the Mission on mapping and GIS-related issues, both for ad hoc requests and specific activities contractually defined.
4. Reporting to donors: coordinates the drafting of projects’ proposals and reports
- She/he timely coordinates with the Field Coordinators and the Program Officer in HQ the writing process of grant proposals and donors’ reports.
- She/he compiles and ensures the overall consistency of narrative inputs, financial inputs and annexes for both proposals and reports.
- She/he coordinates with HQ for final review and submission.
5. Support to HoM
- He/she supports the HoM on the development of mission strategy by leading the needs assessment part and coordinating the writing of proposals
- Upon delegation from the HoM, he/she ensures PUI external representation
- Upon delegation from the HoM, he/she supervises specific files or project components related to strategic concerns or cross-cutting issues
Prioritization of 3 activities relative to mission environment
- Ensure a proper follow-up of the ongoing programs, regarding reporting, monitoring of relevant indicators, beneficiaries, in collaboration with the rest of the team
- Contributing to the development of several long term proposals in 2024
- Capitalise lesson learnt, processes and proper archive of relevant documents
- Strengthening the Assessment & Learning processes of the Mission
جميع الحقوق محفوظة لموقع جوبس.
Required Knowledge And Skills
- Bachelor’s or Master degree in a field related to Project Management, international development
- Project management Training in Quality process management such as URD (compas dynamique) or SPHERE is preferable
- At least 3 years’ experience in project management / M&E process or a similar position in an international context
- Project evaluation experience, Experience with PUI, and Experience in security management is preferable
- Experience in donor requirements and expectations, particularly ECHO, AFD, OCHA
- Good analytical skills and capacity to present data in a clear & structured manner
- Good competence in planning and prioritizing multiple tasks
- Good command in methodology of assessment, evaluation and lessons learned
- Strong and proven capacity in diplomatically working among an integrated multi-cultural project team
- Excellent editorial quality
- Languages: English, Arabic
- Strong computer skills, including ability to operate Microsoft Word, Excel (advanced), Power-Point.
- Knowledge in Mapping (GIS) and Database (Access, Oracle, etc) are an asset.
Required Personal Characteristics (fitting into the team, suitability for the job and assignment)
- Demonstrated experience in monitoring and evaluation design, applied survey & research, indicator development
- Proven capacity for analyzing and synthetizing comprehensive information and technical data
- Ability to guarantee effective and timely outputs
- Good communications skills for public presentations
- Ability to work on own initiative and collaboratively as part of a diverse team and manage a varied workload
- Self-motivated, flexible and adaptable to the needs of the team and organization
- Strong commitment to support/develop capacity of national staff and developing second layer of leadership
- Proven management ability and inter-personal skills – team player
- Problem solving and leadership skills
- Strong & objective interest for the Israelo-Palestinian context: initial knowledge about the history of the conflict and the main trends
- Innovation : capacity to propose new visions, new solutions
- Ability to work under stress in general, and in emergency situations in particular
PUI provides a work environment that reflects the values of integrity, diversity and gender equality. Therefore, we strongly encourage applications from women and underrepresented cultural or social groups, particularly people with disabilities and people from communities highly affected by occupation-related violence (including settler violence).
All PUI workers adhere to the values and principles outlined in the PUI Code of Conduct and policies, including the Protection from Exploitation and Abuse Policy and the Child Protection Policy.”
If you believe you are the candidate we are looking for, please fill in the form in the link below:
In addition, please submit a cover letter and a detailed resume before August 31, 2023 by sending an e-mail to [email protected]. Please indicate the Position Title you are applying for "Deputy Head of Mission" in the E-mail subject line.
Incomplete applications or Unfilled Forms will not be considered. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.