CALL FOR PROPOSALS
Consultancy for the development of a suicide prevention research proposal in West Bank.
Médecins du Monde (MdM) Switzerland is a medical non-governmental organization that has been present in the oPt (occupied Palestinian territories) since 1994. Part of MDM’s strategy is to contribute to improve the quality of care of existing public Mental Health Services in oPt, in collaboration with the Ministry of Health.
Brief presentation of the Program: Suicide is one of the leading causes of death for adolescents and young people in the world, and a major public health concern. It has been considered by the WHO as one of the priority conditions in the WHO Mental Health Gap Action Program in 2008. WHO Member States have agreed to put efforts to achieve the global target of reducing the suicide rate in countries by 10% by 2020. The reduction of suicide rate is included as an indicator inside goal no.3 of the Sustainable Development Goals. As part of its strategy on mental health in the oPt, MdM Switzerland proposes to launch a stocktaking exercise in 3 hospitals of the West Bank, to investigate the journey of suicide patients. Based on this preliminary exercise, a training and capacity building programme will be elaborated.
- Objective of Consultancy
The main objective of this consultancy is to develop an understanding of current provision of care to suicide-attempt patients in 3 hospitals and identify areas for improvement. The stocktaking exercise should follow MdM guidelines and will be coordinated and monitored by MdM’s project team.
The methodology will be able to combine quantitative and qualitative data and statistical analysis of the data collected (via mixed-method surveys, focus groups and interviews). The final methodology design will be proposed by the consultant, in collaboration with the scientific committee and the MdM team. Some of the proposed elements to be considered are:
- Desk review: Compile and analyse the current literature review on the topic of suicide in the Palestinian context. Reading and review of all the documents elaborated by MDM mission in relation with the suicide prevention project.
- Assess the quality of existing documentation and data registry tools for target patients.
- Assess the existing referral path for cases who attempted suicide.
- Determine what are the risk factors for suicide.
- Surveying health professionals to determine their capacity to asses and respond to suicide risk.
- Develop sufficient documentation and registries of cases that attempt suicide and adequate tools that enable the early detection of suicide attempts in the hospital settings
- Meetings and work sessions with key informants from the MoH and WHO’s.
- Meetings /work sessions with MdM steering committees and MoH-MdM steering and ethical committee and coordination team.
- Meetings/work sessions with Palestinian national committee for suicide prevention response.
- Inception report: with a detailed methodology design and a Work Implementation Plan that demonstrates a clear understanding of the assignment, detailing the Proposed Work Schedule with timelines and objectives.
- Draft research proposal including:
- Operational protocol.
- Analytical summary with conclusions and recommendations
- Proposed capacity building and training activities, based on the findings.
- Final study report: one external version with recommendations and conclusions for MdM and MoH and one internal report for MdM with final budget and difficulties encountered.
- Research ethics.
As the consultant will work with very intimate and private material in a very sensible topic, it is mandatory to assure high privacy standards.
The expected timeframe for this study should be 4 months from the signature of the contract, until the approval by MdM, of the final report.
Within the framework of the service provision, the consultant will be asked to collaborate with the MDM team, including the ad-hoc steering committee.
This collaboration includes at least:
- Initial meeting to clarify the objectives of the consultancy and provision by MDM of initial documentation;
- Presentation of the inception report
- Presentation of the draft proposal to MoH team
- Weekly updates shared with the MdM Project Coordinator
- Presentation of the results of the exercise.
- Sharing with the MdM Project Coordinator of a comprehensive final report.
- Required skills and expertise
- The consultant should have strong consultancy and/or research experience involving qualitative methodologies
- At least three (3) years of combined work and scientific experience in the field of mental health.
- Previous experience in similar position is an asset.
- Sound knowledge of mental health in the Palestinian context.
- Experience/knowledge of Health development projects.
- Fluent in Arabic. Excellent written and spoken English (able to produce high-quality documents and present orally.)
- Proven ability to operate under strict deadlines and high level of discipline and professionalism.
- Strong analytical skills.
- How to apply
Interested individuals should provide (in English):
A technical offer, with a detailed methodology including the following:
- Objectives and understanding of the scope of the research.
- CV of the consultant, including a list of similar assignments.
- Tools that the consultant will use.
- Plan of work.
Financial offer, with a detailed budget breakdown with man days per deliverable and the Income Tax percentage required to the corresponding government.
Interested candidates should send their complete application via email with the reference “Development of a suicide prevention research proposal in WB to:
Important to note that only short-listed applicants will be contacted. Applicants after deadline will be excluded. Missing, unclear or incomplete information or documentation and evidence of experience as requested above, may exclude you from consideration.