Première Urgence Internationale (PUI) is a non-governmental, non-profit, non-political and non-religious international aid organization. Our teams are committed to supporting civilians’ victims of marginalization and exclusion, or hit by natural disasters, wars, and economic collapses, by answering their fundamental needs. Our aim is to provide emergency relief to uprooted people in order to help them recover their dignity and regain self-sufficiency. The association leads on average 190 projects by year in the following sectors of intervention: food security, health, nutrition, construction and rehabilitation of infrastructures, water, sanitation, hygiene, and economic recovery. PUI is providing assistance to around 7 million people in 21 countries – in Africa, Asia, Middle East, Eastern Europe, and France.
PUI’s humanitarian and development strategy focuses on providing support to populations affected by the coercive environment and subsequent violations of IHL/HR in both the West Bank (WB) and the Gaza Strip (GS). It combined several sectors to prevent the loss of livelihoods and displacements of population due to protection threats, lack of access to services (Health, Education, WASH), and lack of access to livelihood opportunities.
PUI is seeking for: Community Engagement & Advocacy Officer
Duration: 10 months (renewable depending on funds)
Starting Date: 15th March 2020
The Community Engagement & Advocacy Officer will be responsible to strengthen PUI’s role in its holistic approach to cultural heritage protection.
This is a full-time position: Sunday to Thursday.
- Facilitate and follow up the protection and restoration works in the archeological sites in coordination with key stakeholders,
- Ensure the capacity building program is effectively and efficiently coordinated among key stakeholders.
- Engage local communities into effective participation in caring, understanding and value their cultural heritage.
- Develop and support the production of advocacy and communication products including publications (studies, fact sheets, infographics), audio-visual products, social media; and setting up a dissemination strategy for those advocacy products, ensuring its relevance and feasibility;
- Ensure close coordination and collaboration with administrative and logistics and M& E departments
- Liaise with French experts on the planned activities in close coordination with GSFC,
- Ensure weekly plans are published on site and archaeological technicians, qualified workers, and students are well aware of,
- Follow up the progress of the protection and restoration works in the archeological sites through regular site visits,
- Liaise with security and logistics manager for facilitating the provision of required materials and equipment,
- Prepare the selection criteria for the selection of students to join the capacity building program,
- Ensure that gender is taken into consideration during the selection process,
- Ensure that all official documents of students and new graduates are available,
- Coordinate with universities and follow up on the selection process of the students/new graduates.
- Prepare the Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) to be signed with beneficiaries of the capacity building program in close coordination with Administrative and finance manager and GSFC,
- Organize informative meetings with selected students and new graduates about the project and its activities in collaboration with security and logistics manager for safety measures,
- Follow up on the progress of the capacity building program for technicians, qualified workers, and students.
- Ensure regular meetings with students and qualified workers on work progress, challenges, and solutions,
- Follow up the attendance of technicians, qualified workers and students working in the archaeological sites.
- Follow up the training of the Ministry of Tourism and Antiquities (MoTA) staff in close coordination with GSFC.
- Set up a communication strategy for the heritage protection and community participation projects in close collaboration with GSFC and French experts,
- Participate in designing, producing and distributing booklets with high-resolution photos.
- Participate in producing educational small brochures, including child-friendly tools and activities, on heritage in close collaboration with French expert in charge of program,
- Develop educational materials and activities for children in close collaboration with PUI teams and French expert in charge of the program, translate any relevant document to be used by intern guides for sites visits
- Organize site visits for pupils, students and the general public in close collaboration with intern guides.
- Plan and support visits to the targeted sites in collaboration with local authorities, donors, international communities,
- Develop, update on a regular basis and present presentations on the targeted sites
- Organize awareness sessions on the importance of cultural heritage in GS for local communities in close collaboration with PUI’s intern,
- Organize creative drawing competition for architecture students in Gaza universities
- Keep a daily follow up of different works implemented in the targeted sites through photography in close collaboration with PUI’s photographer,
- Assist in providing photos and simple progress reports on works implemented in the targeted sites for the social media channels of the project.
- Organize regular meetings for volunteers to set the voluntary activities
- Coordinate with local cultural association for enhancing volunteering work
- Organize voluntary days in the targeted sites and ensure all needed materials are well prepared.
- Promote Palestinian cultural heritage at local, national and regional levels.
- Plan the media work on sites in close collaboration with GSFC and experts working in the project.
- Assist in the organization of the media interviews in close collaboration with PUI logistic and security manager and lassie with MoTA,
- In close collaboration and coordination, ensure incentive payment are well followed up and provide necessary documents to the administrative and finance manager,
- In close collaboration with PUI logistic and security manager; organize the purchase of materials and equipment necessary for the successful completion of the project,
- Ensure close follow up of distributed materials notably safety tools and liaise with security and logistic manager,
- In close collaboration with M&E manager; organize focus group discussions for the community members and beneficiaries, participate in the selection of CBOs, follow up on the achievements of indicators and other relevant M&E works.
- In close collaboration with M&E manager, ensure the feedback mechanisms are in place and well understood by all involved workers and students in the project,
- Reporting: Weekly, monthly, donor reports, final report, and assist GSFC in proposals writing when necessary.
- Coordination with key stakeholders: MOTA, local cultural associations, ministry of education, and partner universities.
جميع الحقوق محفوظة لموقع جوبس.
- Background in architecture and or archaeology fields
- Previous experiences in similar activities with national or international NGO
- Strong experience in community participation, advocacy, and education in the field of cultural heritage protection.
- Knowledge of International Humanitarian Law and International Human Rights Law.
- Very good knowledge of donors
- Written and verbal fluency in English and Arabic.
- Strong communication, interpersonal and public speaking skills.
- Good analytical skills and capacity to present data in a clear and concise manner.
PUI provides a work environment that reflects the values of integrity, diversity and gender equality. Therefore, we strongly encourage applications from women and underrepresented cultural or social groups.
If you believe you are the candidate we are looking for, please submit a cover letter and a detailed resume before February 27, 2020, by sending an email to: [email protected]. Please indicate the Position Title in the E-mail subject line.
Incomplete applications will not be considered. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.