Al-Shabaka: The Palestinian Policy Network is an independent, non-partisan, and non-profit organization whose mission is to educate and foster public debate on Palestinian human rights and self-determination within the framework of international law.
About the Position
Al-Shabaka is currently seeking a new commissioning editor. Al-Shabaka content is produced by its 200 policy analysts and guest authors. Its publication schedule averages two policy pieces a month. Al-Shabaka actively communicates the findings of its analysis and its recommendations to the policy community, the media, and the informed public in the form of policy memos and op-eds. The position is half-time and is remote-based, with the editor located in the US, Europe, or the Arab region.
The Commissioning Editor works with Al-Shabaka staff to undertake the following functions:
- Edit material in the Al-Shabaka style, ensuring accuracy, flow, logic, topical hook, and maximum accessibility
- Commission and secure flow of topical, quality material from Al-Shabaka’s policy network, drawing on members’ areas of expertise
- Review material and organize peer reviews
- Handle exchanges with authors
- Organize and/or review translation into Arabic (or vice versa)
- Prepare pieces for publication and dissemination
- Assist in the development of measures to track the influence of policy materials
- Maintain Al-Shabaka’s publishing guidelines and style sheet
- Work with established contract editors and train and mentor new contract editors
- Staff the Al-Shabaka editorial committee, which provides guidance on content and supports in outreach and editorial tasks as appropriate
- Transform pieces into a variety of additional formats, including executive summaries, policy memos, and op-eds
- Work with partners to get op-eds and other policy materials placed in the media and public sphere
جميع الحقوق محفوظة لموقع جوبس.
- Excellent English writing/editing skills
- A proven track record as an editor, preferably with at least 10 years experience editing for think tanks, non-profits, or academic institutions
- Grounding in and first-hand knowledge of the Palestinian question, including understanding of the politics and, to the extent possible, lived experience
- Working knowledge of Arabic; advanced Arabic skills a plus
- Excellent time management skills and reliability
Please email your resume to [email protected] with your name and the title of the position in the subject line. Deadline: July 27, 2020. Please also include a cover letter providing additional information regarding your work as it relates to this position as well as why you would be interested in working for Al-Shabaka.