UN-Habitat, the United Nations Human Settlements Programme, is mandated by the UN General Assembly to promote socially and environmentally sustainable towns and cities. It is the focal point for all urbanization and human settlement matters within the UN system.
The “HAYA” Programme “Eliminating Violence Against Women in the West Bank and Gaza Strip” is a five-year joint programme funded by the Government of Canada with an overall programme objective of building just and secure communities for women and girls in the West Bank and Gaza Strip. This will be achieved through progress against three main outcomes focusing on: (1) Decreased harmful practices and attitudes that perpetuate and validate violence against women and girls within targeted households and communities; (2) Increased access by women and girls of gender- responsive EVAW services (economic, medical, psychosocial, security, shelter) free of discrimination1; (3) Strengthened institutional capacity to develop and implement legal and policy frameworks that promote and protect women’s and girls’ rights with regards to VAW. Under outcome (1), there is a special focus on building an enabling policy environment to combat violence against women and increase the knowledge and capacity to undertake comprehensive local interventions for prevention and response on EVAW by local authorities and municipalities.
UN-Habitat in cooperation with the Ministry of Local Government intends to use part of the grant to hire an individual consultant as a site engineer. The Individual Consultant (IC) will be part of a team working, under the direct supervision of Senior Urban Programme Officer / Project Manager, on achieving the objectives of the joint programme with a special focus on providing technical, administrative, and supervision work of the construction of several community public spaces distributed in different cities across the West Bank, namely in Nablus, Jericho, Beit Sahour and Beit Jala and Jenin. He/she will ensure that the construction works are done according to the architectural plans, structural designs and detailed drawings, and implemented using high-quality construction materials as indicated in the construction detailed specifications and completed and handed over to the concerned authority within the stipulated timeframe.
Duties and responsibilities
- The consultant will act as the main technical adviser to the contractor and supervise all the works implemented in the site.
- Survey the construction site and ensure that construction activities are carried out within demarcated land boundary and ensure that the site from external encroachment.
- Maintain liaison with the local authorities (where appropriate to the project) and sort out emerging issues in consultation with his supervisor to ensure uninterrupted progress of the construction works.
- Ensure that the construction activities are carried out according to the plans, designs and drawings and ascertain accuracy of the qualities, quantities and proportions of the construction materials are precisely maintained.
- Manage, monitor, interpret and explain the construction plan, drawing and design documents to thecontractor and construction team when needed.
- Ensure appropriate sampling procedures and provide sound decisions based on the results of any required tests.
- Maintain constant liaison with the Contractor and their representatives, including attending regular meetings to ensure the pace of work progress.
- Ensure that all materials used and works performed are in accordance with the specifications indicated in the contract document.
- Review and agree on the quantity, quality and cost of the materials used for construction of the building by -the Contractor.
- Ensure that the works timely progress in order to meet agreed deadlines.
- Oversee quality control, health and safety matters of workers on the construction site.
- Prepare various narratives, technical and financial reports as required.
- Resolve any unforeseen technical difficulties and other problems that may arise in the process of the work in consultation with the direct supervisor.
The total duration of this assignment is 5 calendar months, where the consultant is required to commit 80% of his/her 80% of their weekly working hours for this assignment and ensuring to conduct regular field visits (at least 3 times per week for each site).
During the assignment, the consultant will submit weekly progress reports (for each supervised project), the reports should be submitted on Sunday CoB and the consultant will receive feedback from the Sr. programme officer on Monday.
The contract value will be paid in five instalments at the end of each calendar month upon satisfactory delivery of the assignment and submission of weekly progress reports. The table below considers the total duration of the assignment to be 5 months.
جميع الحقوق محفوظة لموقع جوبس.
- Minimum of a bachelor’s degree in Civil or Structural Engineering from an accredited university is required; this is an in-out criteria (Pass/Fail)\
- Minimum of three years of relevant professional experience in the field of structural engineering, supervising the implementation of similar construction and infrastructural projects on the ground is required; this is an in-out criteria (Pass/Fail)
- Good knowledge and understanding of law regulating for construction, technical regulations and special technical conditions and professional codes is required.
- Excellent and proven experience in dealing with contractors and local partners is required.
- Experience in civil construction work within landscape projects will be treated as an added advantage;
- Proven reports writing skills in English and Arabic is required.
- Excellent working knowledge of MS Office-Word, Excel, Power Point is required,
- Familiarity with UN procedures will be an advantage;
- Sound judgment, excellent analytical skills, strong networking and interpersonal skills, ability to plan, organize and coordinate work and to cope with a demanding workload is expected.
- Valid driving license is desirable.
- Fluent in Arabic and English is required.
Applicants are requested to create an account on INSPIRA using the following link:
Please note Job ID# is 182688