Job Title Advocacy and Communication officer (P/T)
Mission Medical Aid for Palestinians (MAP) works for the health and dignity of Palestinians living under occupation and as refugees. MAP is the leading UK charity delivering health and medical care to those worst affected by conflict, occupation and displacement in the occupied Palestinian territory (oPt) and Palestinian refugee camps of Lebanon.
Job Purpose To support MAP’s advocacy and communications activities in and regarding the oPt.
Hours 3 days a week (must include Tuesdays)
Salary Range ILS 88,560 – ILS 103,956 Prorata
Reporting to Director of Programmes for West Bank in close coordination with Director of Advocacy and Campaigns (based in London) and Director of Programmes for Gaza
Key Internal relationships Advocacy and Campaigns Team (in London), oPt Team
Key External relationships AIDA advocacy and UN agency meeting partners, other health service providers and humanitarian organisations in the oPt, government officials
Contract 12 months
This job description does not form part of your contract of employment and can be amended from time to time as the needs of the organisation require.
Duties and key responsibilities
- Participate in meetings with partners and others, specifically AIDA advocacy and UN agency meetings.
- Maintain good working relationships with government officials, health service providers, local and international partners, in close coordination with Gaza team, West Bank team & other colleagues.
- Ensure visibility of MAP and local partners in programme communications.
- Research, produce and otherwise contribute to MAP output (written, social media, audio-visual) and other materials, particularly concerning programme work and including for fundraising purposes.
- Monitor Palestinian, regional and international media in English and Arabic.
- Identify case studies, conduct interviews responsibly and sensitively.
- Identify opportunities for news stories and help pitch them with journalists.
- Provide briefings for donors, partners and political actors.
- Translate materials as and when requested.
Collaboration with other MAP offices
- Support Gaza team and West Bank team in managing contracts for consultants conducting campaigning and related work.
- Provide logistical and other support to visits by parliamentary and medical delegations, colleagues and others.
- Support the mission, ethos and values of MAP.
- Carry out other associated duties as may arise in line with the broad remit of the position.
- Support and promote diversity and equality of opportunity in the workplace.
- Work collaboratively with others in all aspects of our work.
- Represent and be an ambassador for MAP.
- Be flexible and carry out other associated duties as may arise, develop or be assigned in line with the broad remit of the position.
- Maintain and improve competencies through continuous professional development.
- Abide by organisational policies, codes of conduct and practices.
- Treat with confidentiality any personal, private or sensitive information about individual organisations and or clients or staff and MAP data.
جميع الحقوق محفوظة لموقع جوبس.
- Good, relevant communication, interviewing, advocacy and research experience.
- Experience of networking with partners, coalitions and others.
- Experience in producing or overseeing production of short videos is desirable
- Familiarity with key organisations providing and/or advocating for healthcare to Palestinians in the oPt is desirable
Skills and abilities
- Strong social media and IT skills and ability to produce good quality still images.
- Excellent working use of English and Arabic.
- Strong appreciation of risks facing MAP and the need to adhere to agreed policy guidelines in communications.
- Ability to live, work and travel in and around the West Bank, including East Jerusalem, and to and around Gaza.
- Working use of Hebrew is desirable
- Graduate qualification in political science, communication, advocacy or at least equivalent experiences in a related field.
- Good understanding of the political contexts affecting access to healthcare in the oPt.
- Good understanding of issues relating to health and health systems for Palestinians in the oPt is desirable
Personal attributes and other requirements
- Commitment to anti-discriminatory practice and equal opportunities.
- An ability to apply awareness of diversity issues to all areas of work.
- Commitment to the values and ethos of MAP.
- Able to work flexibly in emergencies and otherwise.
Candidates should download and fill the application form and Equality monitoring form at the following link:
and send it to [email protected] by Thursday 26 of July 2018. You can also read our Privacy statement online. Please write “Application –Advocacy and Communications Officer P/T, West Bank” in the email subject line. Do not attach CVs or any other documents. Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
Please note that applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. And interviews may commence before the closing date, so don’t delay applying as soon as possible.