Activity Manager, USAID West Bank Teacher Training Program
IREX is an international nonprofit organization providing thought leadership and innovative programs to promote positive lasting change globally. We enable local individuals and institutions to build key elements of a vibrant society: quality education, independent media, and strong communities. To strengthen these sectors, our program activities also include conflict resolution, technology for development, women and youth. Founded in 1968, IREX has an annual portfolio of over $70 million and a staff of over 400 professionals worldwide. IREX employs field-tested methods and innovative uses of technologies to develop practical and locally-driven solutions with our partners in more than 100 countries.
Summary of Position
IREX seeks qualified candidates for the role of Activity Manager on an expected USAID Pre-Service Professional Development Program in the West Bank. The program will aim to improve the relevancy and quality of teacher education diploma programs that target pre-service teachers.
The Activity Manager will be responsible for oversight of the daily implementation of the interventions under the activity and will be providing guidance to the field staff. Reporting to the Chief of Party, the Activity Manager will ensure that plans being followed throughout the implementation of the various interventions under the activity and will follow up with implementation of any sub-awards under the activity. Only Palestinian citizens will be considered.
The position is contingent on funding.
Summary of Responsibilities
- Support the Chief of Party in technical implementation, project operations, and staff supervision
- Ensure coordination across all project components
- Ensure compliance with USAID and IREX policies and procedures
- Oversee day-to-day project management, including management of staff, short-term consultants, and implementing partners
- Serve as the acting Chief of Party in the Chief of Party’s absence
- Monitor overall project implementation and timelines, ensuring all deliverables are submitted in a timely manner, and that these are of the highest quality
- Assist with development of annual work plans, which detail annual project activities, deliverables, and budget needs, in accordance with the USAID planning cycle; assure timely disbursement of funds
- Oversee any sub-awards, ensuring deliverables are completed in a timely, cost-effective manner and that these meet technical requirements
- Participate in selection and evaluation of local implementing partners
- Oversee the performance and outputs of the Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) Specialist to ensure the implementation of the project’s M&E plan, including reporting on project performance and M&E activities
- Motivate staff to perform effectively toward achieving project objectives through effective communication, team building, and providing appropriate incentives
- Review and approve invoices and financial reports prepared by the finance team and submit them to the Chief of Party for approval
- Work with the Chief of Party and IREX HQ on any proposed budget modifications
Skills and Qualifications:
- Minimum of 6 years of relevant experience
- Bachelor's degree required, Master’s preferred
- Demonstrated excellent managerial skills, including management of personnel as well as operations and finance aspects on USAID-funded projects
- In-depth knowledge of USAID regulations, compliance and reporting
- Proven track record of successfully designing, managing, and implementing development projects
- Demonstrated success in managing sub-contracts/sub-grants
- Excellent diplomacy skills and a proven ability to establish and sustain interpersonal and professional relationships with USAID missions, host-country counterparts and representatives from other key stakeholders
- Ability to communicate professionally and provide written reporting in English and Arabic
- Strong leadership skills, including facilitation, team building, and coordination
- Ability to work in a complex environment with multiple tasks, short deadlines and intense pressure to perform
- Proficiency in word processing and Microsoft Office software.
Click on "Apply" below and supply a resume and cover letter through our website.