Job Title: Vice President of Operations
Location: Ramallah – Middle East
Reporting line: CEO
The Vice President of Operation (VPO) is a position within the the Palestine Children’s Relief Fund (PCRF) that will be located in the PCRF Ramallah Office. The primary purpose of this position is to serve as a senior strategic leader for the internal operation, focusing on the PCRF mission to provide medical care and humanitarian aid for sick and injured children in the Middle East, regardless of their nationality, religion or ethnicity. The position will be focusing on systems and processes, which will result in efficient and effective operations within the organizational culture of PCRF, as well as mainstreaming child health issues in both emergencies and longer term development of the Palestinian health system, in line with the objectives of PCRF strategy. This includes setting strategies, providing overall technical support and guidance, overseeing program designing and proposal preparation, ensuring relevant capacity building opportunities, disseminating best practices; promoting coherence among all PCRF programs and cross-sectoral linkages, responding as necessary to emerging emergency.
The VPO will provide strategic vision and leadership including program and financial management, supportive supervision and ensuring timely implementation and reporting. VPO is responsible for ensuring a healthy work environment for staff to develop strong technical expertise in their respective areas.
VPO as part of the team under the leadership of the CEO who will be accountable for delivering program results and will be responsible for producing high quality programs for the best interest of Arab children in the region.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
A.Organizational Policies and strategies: 20%
Work under the CEO to update the organizational structure as needed and ensure that medical missions, treatment abroad cases and Humanitarian Projects are well coordinated and integrated.
Ensure that international best practices are included in the internal operations. Update the internal processes and create new organizational policies to match the constant growth of PCRF. Provide strong leadership to bridge national and regional operations and support open door policy among all staff. Identify challenges, delays and obstacles within the internal operations, and provide recommendations and creative solutions to resolve them within the PCRF culture.
Work closely with the CEO/ President and senior staff to set overall organizational policies and priorities, to implement the strategic five – year plan (PCRF- 2021). Draft components of PCRF 2021 Strategy and performance monitoring plan. Develop indicators and assess implementation effectively. Implement new processes, policies and approaches to implement the strategy.
B.Office Management and Human Resources: 20%
Upgrade human resource functions including but not limited to human capital development, compensation and benefits, employee relations and interactions, performance evaluation and recruitment processes.
Directly support key staff positions, providing guidance for creating effective teams and establish clear expectations for achieving program results. The key/ senior staff has the following responsibilities:
- Medical missions
- Humanitarian Aid Projects
- Treatment Abroad cases
- Finance & Accounting
- Information Technology, software and web tools
- staff supervision
- Human resources
Cultivate and promote the values of PCRF within the organization and encourage a coaching culture.
Prepare Scope of Works (SOWs), Project Descriptions (PD) and Action memos for future projects, evaluators, auditors as needed.
C.Program Management and Monitoring 20%
Translate the strategy into a plan and lead the process of developing the Annual Operational Plan AOP, with its indicators within the PCRF strategy. Assist in the development of Monitoring and Evaluation tools and methods and establish an effective M&E system and guide implementation team to use these tools and methods
Review project activities and implementation; take actions and essential initiative including project/ agreement/ contract/ MOU modifications, and measures to resolve challenges of implementation to improve better services for children in the region.
Lead the performance management process that measures results against agreed upon indicators based on recommendations from senior staff. Assist the team in problem solving; provide technical guidance and give administrative and technical approvals.
Monitor achievements of PCRF objectives through site visits, observations, lesson learned discussions, and program evaluations. Monitor and report on implementation of activities. Discuss progress, successes, issues and challenges with CEO on regular basis and provide and push for innovative solutions.
D. Financing Management 20%
Analyze the current infrastructure and scale up the next level of information technology and financial system that are compatible with the organizational growth.
Endeavor to maintain focus on the mission, and find ways to keep costs down, and maintain sustainable streams of income including the support of an accounting system that provides real time data and strategic budgeting.
Budget and report on long term development and short term relief projects. Ensure that projects and activities funds are used appropriately and within the budgetary limits. Receive and review monthly vouchers and provide approval for payments, advances and liquidations.
E. Reporting 20%
Lead the preparation and the submission of program reports and other required quarterly, annual and ad hoc reports, including technical briefings.
Receive and review monthly / quarterly reports to monitor progress and evaluate implementation, supplemented by site visits, e-mail correspondence, and teleconferencing.
Responsible for supporting the CEO/President in providing real time data to support all aspects of fundraising specifically through strategic and operational planning guidance and by ensuring that required infrastructure and support services are in place.
Perform other miscellaneous related duties as assigned
- Leadership and organizational exceptional capacity for managing and leading people; team player, with experience in scaling up organizations; ability to connect staff both on an individual level and in large group; hold self and other accountable for all activities and focus on those activities that have the greatest impact on meeting measurable high quality results for PCRF’s success to serve children in the region.
- Strategic thinking: Apply organizational knowledge to identify and maintain focus on key success factors for PCRF while recognizing, anticipating and resolving organizational challenges. Anticipate future consequences and trends, and incorporate them to translate strategy into action plan.
- Effective communication: understand effective communication concepts; ability to effectively explain complex concepts in simple clear language (in both English and Arabic) appropriate to the audience.
- Delegation: Ability to empower, coach, develop and motivate the team to effectively perform tasks and responsibilities to achieve results and meet expectations to maintain ultimate accountability.
- Conflict Management: Understand how to anticipate, recognize and deal effectively with existing and potential staff related conflicts and create the rationale for and the ability to provide tactful, direct and actionable feedback.
- Technical: Knowledge and skills in PCRF areas of expertise, particular health, capacity programs, Human Capacity development. Have a strong knowledge of information technology, social web and web applications. Demonstrate well understanding the trends, directions and major issues and the ability to apply knowledge appropriately in PCRF organizational context. Commitment to and understanding of PCRF’s aims, values and principles.
- Experience: Ten Years of senior NGO management in Palestine (at least 5 years with 50 or more staff)
- Education: A Master’s Degree, MD or Ph.d.
Interested applicants should include:
- CV with three references.
-A cover letter explaining their suitability for the position.
-Please submit your application by e- mail to
by Dec 05, 2017