Application Type : External Vacancy
Job ID/Title : 980 - UN-HABITAT National Urban Programme Officer
Category : Other Brand : UN-HABITAT
Post Level : NOB
Application Deadline : 14-May-18
Duty Station : Ramallah
Type of Contract : Service Contract
Post Number :
(for 100 Series Contracts) 00129954
Languages Required :
Starting Date :
(date when the selected canditate is expected to start)
Duration of Initial Contract : 12 months
The United Nations Human Settlements Programme (UN-Habitat) is the agency for human settlements. It is mandated by the UN General Assembly to promote socially and environmentally sustainable towns and cities with the goal of providing adequate shelter for all. The post is located in the Regional Office for Arab States, The Special Human Settlements Programme for the Palestinian People. The focus of this job is on the coordination and facilitation of development projects and programmes and provision of technical advice and support to project partners, aligned with UN Habitat’s mandate, objectives, focus areas and expected results in the State of Palestine.
Description of Responsibilities:
Under the direct supervision of the Head of Office, the incumbent’s responsibilities will be as follows:
1. Project/Programme Implementation: Ensure implementation of Project/Programme focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Provide technical assistance and implementation support to the government, project partners and key stakeholders to ensure successful implementation of projects and programmes;
- Facilitate the participation of Habitat agenda partners in developing strategic policy interventions to address issues of concern related to land and housing for all;
- Build government capacity for improved performance through trainings, provision of tools and mechanisms;
- Maintain an overview of financial performance of projects/programmes and advise on corrective measures to be taken;
- Ensure quality and coherence of the respective programme based on results achieved;
- - Draw lessons learned and best practices and ensure proper knowledge management with regards to urban planning issues in oPt.
2. Project/ Programme Management: Ensure effective management and timely execution of Project/Programme focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Provide management support through technical guidance, quality and cost control;
- Coordinate overall workplans and liaise with all implementing partners to ensure quality and timely implementation of Agreements of Cooperation;
- Ensure effective and efficient management of financial and administrative issues related to project implementation, preparing relevant documentation and reports;
- Prepare project procurement plans and ensures timely procurement of materials, initiate all recruitment of necessary human resource needed for the project’s implementation;
- Manage and supervise the performance of assigned staff and provide them with technical support when needed;
- Conduct periodic field visits, monitor progress of all project activities as per the project’s logframe;
- Take full responsibility for project management and programme portfolio;
- Promote UN-Habitat’s norms and tools and strengthening information flows with partners and stakeholders.
3. Project/Programme Development: Ensure development of Project/Programme focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Provide technical inputs into the development and revision of UN HABITAT Programme Document for the occupied Palestinian territory;
- Identify key areas for interventions in human settlements within the framework of the UN Habitat New Urban Agenda, UN Habitat Country Programme Document, Palestinian National Development Plan, UNDAF and sector reviews, in line with her/ his technical profile and expertise;
- Participate in the development and review of new project documents;
- Negotiate with multi-lateral/bilateral partners and donors for resource mobilisation and promoting/ coordinating joint activities.
4. Advisory services: Provide high-quality technical inputs on urban planning matters into projects’ activities in line with global policies and best practices of UN Habitat global programmes.
IV. Impact of Results
The key results will have an impact on the success of the implementation of the country programme within specific areas of cooperation, and on the efficiency and effectiveness of projects management and assurance of the quality of projects’ results. Moreover, the key results will have an impact on the design, operation and programming of activities, creation of strategic partnerships as well as reaching resource mobilization targets.
Professionalism: Understanding and knowledge of urban planning issues and related participatory approaches, especially in the Palestinian context (incl. legal and institutional frameworks, capacity development, land management/administration, etc.). Familiarity with UN-Habitat's mandate, approaches and strategies in the areas of urban planning and design, urban governance, land, housing and improvement of access to basic services. Having strong analytical skills and abilities to apply judgment in the context of assignments given, plan own work and manage conflicting priorities. In addition, having the ability to communicate complex concepts in an understandable manner, and to build local, national and international partnerships. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
Planning and Organizing: Proven ability to plan, coordinate and monitor own work; ability to work under pressure and use time efficiently; identifies priority activities and assignments and adjusts priorities as required; proven organization skills and ability to manage a heavy workload efficiently and within set deadlines.
Accountability: Takes ownership of all responsibilities and honours commitments; delivers outputs for which one has responsibility within prescribed time, cost and quality standards; operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules; supports subordinates, provides oversight and takes responsibility for delegated assignments.
Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals. Solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others. Places team agenda before personal agenda. Supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position. Shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
Creativity: Actively seeks to improve programmes or services; offers new and different options to solve problems or meet client needs; promotes and persuades others to consider new ideas; takes calculated risks on new and unusual ideas, think “outside the box”; takes an interest in new ideas; is not bound by current thinking or traditional approaches.
جميع الحقوق محفوظة لموقع جوبس.
Advanced university degree (Master degree or equivalent) in spatial planning, architecture, urban management, or other relevant social sciences field (development studies, international relations, urban studies).
At least 2 years of relevant field experience in the implementation of urban development projects.
Fluency in written and oral English and Arabic is required
Interested and qualified candidates can apply online through Apply Now-button below