RTI (www.rti.org) is an independent, non-profit organization dedicated to conducting innovative,
multidisciplinary research that improves the human condition. With a worldwide staff of more than 4,000 people, RTI offers innovative research and development and multidisciplinary services.
RTI International is requesting applications for technical and operational roles on USAID-funded West Bank Early Grade Reading Activity. This activity will work closely with and support the Palestinian Ministry of Education and Higher Education (MOEHE) to enhance learning outcomes for Palestinian children at the primary level by improving Arabic reading instruction, and policies and practices at the government, community and school levels. Positions are based in Ramallah. Successful candidates must possess excellent oral and written communication skills including fluency in English and Arabic.
The Translator is responsible for providing translation and interpretation services to all Early Grade Reading Project activities, including interpretation at meetings, workshops, trainings, etc., as well as translation of documents from Arabic into English and vice versa. S/he will ensure the consistency and the quality translation of technical terms under the guidance of technical team.
- Translate documents from Arabic to English and vice versa as needed by the project team. Documents for translation include official letters, reports, emails, agendas, minutes of meetings, press releases, etc. Technical documents will have a focus on early grade education
- Provide consecutive interpretation during meetings, workshops, phone calls, field visits, media events, and other project-related events to facilitate effective communication and ensure that concepts and ideas are accurately shared
- Make sight translations when required, prior to full translation
- Proof-read documents (letters, reports, success stories, etc.) and presentations in both English and Arabic, and make updates to these documents based on comments and decisions made in meetings
- Create and constantly update a multilingual RAMP Glossary list and following up with the project-related terminology
- Keep up to date on appropriate terminology for topics related to early grade reading in both Arabic and English
- Translate RTI-related documents upon the request of the Home Office
- Take notes during meetings and workshops and provide Arabic and English versions of these notes as needed, email minutes of meetings to participants as requested
- Draft (including typing) correspondence in Arabic or English
- Proofread/Review translations of documents performed by external translation companies and make corrections to ensure accuracy
- Assist international RTI employees (from Home Office or Regional Offices) as requested
- Assist with other tasks to support the project work as necessary
Minimum Required Education & Experience
- University education in languages, preferably with professional qualification from a recognized school (including interpretation and editing)
- Master’s degree or Bachelor’s Degree and minimum 3 years of translation experience (preferably in the Education field)
Skills & Abilities
- Excellent working knowledge of both written and spoken Arabic and English
- Prior experience providing both interpretation and translation, preferably for education-focused programs
- Excellent Arabic typing skills and ability to use Microsoft Office programs (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Attention to detail and accuracy
- Ability to work independently
Individuals are invited to submit a curriculum vitae (CV) with current contact information and details of relevant experience to
indicating the position title applying for in the Subject line. Deadline is November 14, 2017. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
RTI International is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.