Gaza Household WASH Activity
Position: Technical Expert/Chief Engineer
Location: Gaza Strip
Global Communities is an international development non-profit organization. Our mission is to create long-lasting, positive and community-led change that improves the lives and livelihoods of vulnerable people across the globe.
Global Communities is seeking a WASH Technical Expert/Chief Engineer for an anticipated, USAID-funded Household WASH program in Gaza. The three-year program will improve human health, environmental health and livelihoods in vulnerable communities by increasing access to facilities and services for safe domestic water and improved sanitation. Priorities include: 1) Providing durable solutions to vulnerable communities, such as the establishment, extension or rehabilitation of water distribution networks and sanitation systems at the household and neighborhood levels; and 2) Increasing emergency WASH preparedness interventions to mitigate and reduce rainwater and sewage flooding risks in vulnerable communities.
The WASH Technical Expert/Chief Engineer will be responsible for providing technical input to guide planning, implementation, monitoring, evaluation and reporting. Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Oversee the implementation of program activities with program partners, in coordination with the COP.
- Provide specialized technical expertise and support in the areas of water distribution networks, sanitation systems, and emergency WASH preparedness, providing opinions on the soundness and feasibility of new approaches and leading assessments or situational analyses as needed.
- Liaise with counterparts and partners at a technical level, including by participating in technical working groups.
- Train staff in educational concepts and upgrade their technical competencies.
- Monitor the progress of projects from beginning to end and ensure timely and accurate submission of required documentation to the donor.
- Manage an effective learning process to make adjustments to program implementation as needed.
- Support the preparation of quarterly and annual reports to USAID.
- Advanced degree (master’s or above) in a relevant field;
- Minimum of ten years of relevant professional experience managing WASH related programs, for example in infrastructure; water engineering; urban sanitation; flood prevention, preparedness and response; and/or emergency WASH preparedness;
- Demonstrated experience working cooperatively with a variety of local stakeholders, other projects and international agencies;
- Professional working English language proficiency. Must be able to use the language with sufficient structural accuracy and vocabulary to participate effectively in most formal and informal conversations on practical, social and professional topics;
- Professional working proficiency in Modern Standard Arabic. Must be able to use the language with sufficient structural accuracy and vocabulary to participate effectively in most formal and informal conversations on practical, social and professional topics;
- Prior experience in West Bank and Gaza, and/or the region, is desirable.
To apply for the position listed above, please send your CV and a cover letter by email to [email protected] no later than Saturday March 31, 2018, indicating the position title and location. Global Communities is an equal opportunity employer.
The above vacancy is also found on our website www.globalcommunities.ps (under Get involved-Job Opportunities).