تعلن سلطة المياه الفلسطينية وحدة إدارة المشاريع/ غزه عن حاجتها للوظيفة المذكورة ادناه وذلك للعمل ضمن طاقم وحدة إدارة المشاريع وذلك حسب الشروط المبين ادناه:
The Palestinian Water Authority (PWA) ــ Project Management Unit in Gaza invites experienced & qualified Palestinians to apply for the following position in the Project Management Unit (PMU).
Technical Department Manager
Gaza Bulk Water Supply Unit
Gaza Central Desalination Program: Associated Works Phase I Project is a part of a coordinated international effort to address chronic poor water quality in Gaza and the significant increase in domestic demand expected in the medium term, which is projected to reach around 145 MCM a year by 2030. PWA, in partnership with the European Commission (EC), the European Investment Bank (EIB), the Union for the Mediterranean (UfM), the Islamic Development Bank (ISDB) and the World Bank, formulated the Gaza Central Desalination Program (GCDP). The GCDP covers all Gaza and comprises two main components: (i) construction of a desalination plant with initial capacity to produce 55 MCM a year of desalinated water that can be doubled in the future; and (ii) construction of a north-south water carrier, including storage reservoirs to convey and properly blend the desalinated water with groundwater sources to achieve water supply meeting WHO standards for potable water. Securing the required funding for implementing the GCDP will take several years, leaving the water situation in Gaza, and particularly in the southern and middle governorates, in urgent need of improvement. In this context, the international community supported the construction of two Short-Term Low-Volume (STLV) desalination plants which produce 4.7 MCM per year as interim measures to alleviate the needs for fresh water. In addition, PWA has negotiated the purchase of an additional fresh water for the middle and southern governorates of Gaza from Israel National Water Company Mekorot. The proposed project, through blending these new high-quality water sources with 15.3 MCM per year from existing saline groundwater, will supply bulk water to all 16 municipalities in the project area (with an estimated 870,000 people) with at least 90 liters per capita per day (lcd) meeting WHO standards for potable water. The project will also contribute towards enhancing soundness of the sector institutional set up. The proposed operation includes institutional strengthening activities aimed at the establishment of a small unit to manage bulk water supply operations in Gaza laying a sound foundation for the future establishment of the National Water Company (NWC), which is mandated by the Water Law to manage and operate bulk water throughout the West Bank and Gaza.
The Gaza Bulk Water Supply Unit (BWSU) will be part of the National Water Company, the bulk water provider for West Bank and Gaza as defined by law. The Unit will be responsible for: (i) the operation and maintenance of the STLVs; (ii) the monitoring and management of bulk water purchased from Israel; (iii) the management and operation of groundwater wells in middle and south Gaza; (iv) the blending of these bulk water sources for distribution and onward sale to municipalities (the water service providers); and (v) the recovery and reuse scheme. The World Bank will support PWA with the establishment of the Bulk Water Supply Unit initially hiring its core staff which will gradually be expanded with funds from bulk water sales proceeds.
The Technical Department will be in charge of supporting the BWSU with all the information, analytical capability and planning function to manage bulk water operations in the most efficient and cost effective way. The Technical Department Manager will report to the Bulk Water Supply Unit Director and will be responsible of planning, directing, and managing all activities within the Technical Department and coordinate those activities with the Operations and Maintenance Department and the Finance and Administration Department. It will also be available to coordinate with outside agencies and the donor community. The Manager will perform complex analytical work based on information gathered by its department and by providing administrative and engineering support for bulk water distribution activities and programs to ensure technical competence, efficient and transparent use of resources and compliance with regulations.
Responsibilities & Main Functional Tasks include, but are not limited to, the following:
- In coordination with the PWA, PMU and the Unit Director, the Manager will be in charge of setting up the Department including the development of foundational tasks as reviewing and approving job descriptions, participating in the hiring of Department personnel, developing policies and procedures, designing workflows and internal controls and establishing the initial budget and start-up of operations.
- Leads the development of a comprehensive and dynamic information base and analysis of all bulk water operations including geographic location, volumes of operation, detailed information of asset base and detailed costs of operation as well as all elements needed for activity planning and performance improvement.
- Organizes and leads the work on GIS systems as well as efforts and programs to interlink SCADA systems to have a central monitoring control of all integrated systems.
- Conducts all activities related to the collection of detailed information on assets, spare parts and all the inputs used by the system at all levels of operation. Monitors the use of materials and inputs by each of the areas of the system making sure there is a detailed tracking system and proper use of registration of resources needed for bulk water operations.
- Monitors and evaluates the efficiency and effectiveness of service delivery methods and procedures. Proposes allocation of resources accordingly.
- Accompanies engineering design and construction activities in coordination with the PMU, monitoring construction phases and schedules with contractors, reviewing documents and cost estimates.
- Assesses and monitors work load, administrative and support systems, and internal reporting relationships. Identifies opportunities for improvement. Directs and implements changes.
- Participates in the employee interview/selection process. Trains, motivates and evaluates assigned staff. Provides or coordinates training. Works with employees to correct deficiencies. Implements discipline and termination procedures as needed.
- Oversees and participates in the development and administration of the Department budget. Forecast funds needed for staffing, equipment, materials and supplies and approve expenditures and implement budgetary adjustments as appropriate and necessary.
- Provides staff assistance to the Unit Director, participate on PMU meetings, prepare and present reports to PWA, donors and parties as necessary.
- Helps the Unit Director to respond to and resolve difficult and sensitive inquiries and complaints from clients and general population.
- Performs related duties and responsibilities as required.
جميع الحقوق محفوظة لموقع جوبس.
Mandatory Qualification Requirements:
- Bachelor's degree in Civil Engineering or related field, from an accredited college or university, with at least seven (7) years of Professional Engineering experience in the water sector to include at least three (3) years direct supervisory experience in a management and/or administrative capacity in public or private service provider entity.
Desired Qualification Requirements:
- Demonstrable experience in the formulation, development and implementation of water sector related infrastructure programs, using national and multilateral agencies development funds;
- Demonstrable experience in engineering planning, design and construction of water sector related infrastructure, monitoring quality, phases and schedules with contractors, reviewing documents and cost estimates.
- Demonstrable experience in methods and techniques of evaluating system performance and recommending modifications, principles and practices of budget preparation and administration, principles of supervision, training and performance evaluation.
- Demonstrable experience in asset management, life cycle analysis, and triple bottom line evaluation Statistical analysis, research methods, and hypothesis testing.
- Demonstrable experience in developing and administering Department goals, objectives and procedures, preparing administrative and financial reports.
- Demonstrable experience in research and analysis evaluating services, problems, identifying alternative solutions, estimating project consequences of proposed actions and implementing recommendations in support of goals.
- Good command of English speaking and writing.
- Knowledge of dealing with computers and proficiency in MS Office programs at an advanced level.
Time Frame and Contract
The duration of the assignment is one year. The contract can be renewed based on performance. The assignment will be on a full-time basis.
We encourage diversity in our workplace and support an inclusive work environment. Female candidates are encouraged to apply.
Interested candidates are kindly requested to fill in the Form below before 01/09/2022 at 15:00.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted