TECHNICAL ADVISOR – GAZA
Project: Technology for Youth and Jobs -TechStart TF0B2944
Expected start date: August - 2021
Level of effort: Full-time
Location: Gaza, Palestine
Palestine Technology for Youth and Jobs Project-TechStart is the Ministry of Telecommunications and Information Technology (MTIT) Project funded by the World Bank (WB), and implemented by DAI as a Project Implementation Agency (PIA).
TechStart is a five-years, US$15 million project with the objective of increasing economic opportunities for IT service firms in the West Bank and Gaza. It also falls under the World Bank’s overarching objective to alleviate market failures related to gaps and binding constraints in the entrepreneurship ecosystem of the digital economy including in human capital, financing, product markets, enabling policies, institutional support, connectivity and competitiveness of Palestinian IT services sector.
The project has three technical components:
- Component 1 will strengthen the capabilities of firms and their workforces, addressing the capability shortfalls, information asymmetries, and other factors that dissuade firms from investing in capacity-building activities on their own. It targets firms and individuals that require upskilling to meet the need of buyers who expect suppliers to meet global standards.
- Component 2 will Provide competitive grants to encourage the entry of new, complementary actors into the IT ecosystem including HR IT and training service providers, support the technology and business infrastructure that IT service companies rely on to compete. It targets private firms in WB&G and entrepreneurs who meet certain criteria.
- Component 3 will stimulate demand through international market linkages and will encourage foreign direct investment in the West Bank & Gaza.
Main Purpose of the job:
TechStart is looking to hire a qualified Technical Advisor to support the implementation of TechStart components in Gaza, the TC will be the field liaison with Gaza IT services and Tech firms and will help the Project Director and the component leads run activities on the ground as required, he/she will also be working closely with the Gaza operations officer on validating applications and conducting site visits. The candidate needs to be very familiar and engaged with the tech and IT sector in Gaza
Scope of work:
- In collaboration with the Project Director, and the component leads, prepare and follow through a phased program of action to ensure coordination of efforts in implementing all related activities of the TechStart Project in Gaza
- Anchor all project activities in the Gaza Strip and ensure the TechStart project has sufficient resources and capacity to deliver the Gaza-based project activities.
- Coordinate and monitor project activities in Gaza based on approved project work plans, results frameworks, and milestones.
- Identify, manage and quality assure opportunities to engage consultants in technical assistance assignments in Gaza to deliver specific activities, ensuring these are aligned with the agreed annual workplan
- Provide reports on progress, constraints, and proposed remedial actions where required and contribute to project documents, reporting, and workplans.
- Support the implementation and/or the management of specific activities within the project in accordance with the approved workplans and milestones.
- Maintain close cooperation with the key stakeholders in Gaza to ensure an ongoing effective and responsive partnership.
- Support the entrepreneurship ecosystem of the digital economy and the development of an R&D hub in Gaza, including coordinating stakeholders on issues related to activity implementation
- Organize meetings as needed with key actors across all project component to assess progress, identify implementation constraints, and recommend remedial actions.
- Support the Project Director, component leads and Procurement and Grants Specialist in the preparation, execution, monitoring and reporting of the overall TechStart procurement plan and grant disbursements for activities in Gaza.
- Raise awareness about the Project’s activities, and help answer questions from potential beneficiaries
- Connect with the IT, tech and tech enabled sector in Gaza represented by the IT companies and their leadership to identify needs and help component leads with the design and implementation
- Any other task assigned by the Project Director.
جميع الحقوق محفوظة لموقع جوبس.
Qualifications and Experience
- A relevant undergraduate or post-graduate university degree.
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience in project management, coordinating and monitoring the activities of donor-funded technical assistance programs in Gaza.
- Knowledge and familiarity with IT and tech sector.
- Detail-oriented, highly organized, with the ability to handle multiple assignments, work under pressure and meet deadlines on a continual basis.
- Enthusiastic and proactive problem-solver with an ability to think creatively and critically, and to use own initiative to drive processes forward.
- A strong team player with excellent interpersonal skills, with demonstrated ability to build effective working relations with colleagues and service providers.
- Excellent communication and networking skills, with a track record of successful coordination with stakeholders in Gaza.
- A sound understanding of Gaza’s evolving political economy and the ability to exercise independent judgment and escalate issues appropriately.
- Impeccable integrity, a positive and entrepreneurial attitude and readiness to work in a multi-cultural environment.
- Accepts diversity and respects other people regardless of race, gender, religion and background
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in Arabic and English.
- Proficiency in the effective use of MS Outlook and Microsoft Office.
Duration and Type of Contract
The duration of the assignment is one year on a full-time basis, extendable based on the fund availability available funding and satisfactory performance.
Reporting and support
The post holder will be line managed by the Project Director (Ramallah based).
This profile is indicative only and therefore subject to change.
In order to evaluate the most suitable candidate on the same evaluation basis, the selection will be based on the following criteria that should be demonstrated in the CV:
a) General qualifications (studies).
b) Adequacy for the Assignment.
c) Relevant experience.
Interested and qualified candidates can apply online through fs20.formsite.com/DAIForms/zx99hio4mf/index.html
No later than: July 10th ,2021