Location: Ramallah, with frequent travel.
Position Status: Full-time, Regular employment
Salary Level: 4A
Duration: One year with possibility of extension
Department: Programs, GSG
About Mercy Corps
Mercy Corps (MC) is a non-profit, non-aligned, secular non-governmental (NGO) humanitarian relief and development organization, registered in the United States and Scotland with offices in more than 40 countries around the world, including the West Bank and Gaza, where the organization has been active in implementing relief and development programs for nearly a decade. Mercy Corps ‘West Bank and Gaza’ has staff based in East Jerusalem and Gaza City offices that implement programs throughout the Palestinian territories.
Mercy Corps’ Economic Security Program is a part of its overall Palestinian Community Assistance Program. The Economic Security Program aims to provide cash-for-work assistance for laborers in the industrial sectors. The post-conflict economic situation among the different businesses and sectors led productive factories to witness an unprecedented increase in unemployment and put many laborers at risk of losing their jobs. Through this intervention, Mercy Corps aims to alleviate poverty and suffering; and improve food security for this vulnerable segment of the population's “labor workforce” and their families.
About Gaza Sky Geeks: Gaza Sky Geeks, established in 2011 by Mercy Corps with support from Google, is Palestine’s leading tech hub that trains, nurtures, and supports emerging tech talent with the aim to remove barriers to economic success and harness the untapped of young Palestinians through tech. Gaza Sky Geeks trains, nurtures, and supports emerging tech talent, and supports startups and small and medium enterprises.
Mission: Enable the resilient young women & men of Palestine to reach their potential and earn globally competitive incomes by doing high-value digital work.
Vision: Build a sustainable, self-supporting tech ecosystem that is internationally recognized and respected by tech employers and investors from around the world.
GENERAL POSITION SUMMARY:
The Tech Unit Officer will provide programmatic and administrative support for Mercy Corps Programs, primarily relating to Gaza Sky Geeks (GSG) expansion activities, in the West Bank. The TO will work with a network of local and multinational partners and stakeholders on issues concerning youth training, employability, capacity building, and economic development. The TO will work closely with the Program officer and GSG Vertical Leads on all aspects of the program and provide effective and efficient support to ensure smooth implementation including programmatic, administrative, logistical and procurement support, information gathering, and organizing training. The TO will work to ensure data quality, including data collection, data entry, and sound filing and documentation of program records for participants and activities. The TO will collect, analyze, and report on monitoring and evaluation data, and prepare scopes of work as requested.
جميع الحقوق محفوظة لموقع جوبس.
- Contribute to the GSG-WB expansion strategy (scanning, formulation, implementation, evaluation)
- Manage relationships with different local and international partners for technical offerings in the WB.
- Lead WB technical community strategy implementation including Technical boot camps, Technical training, and Self-study group offerings.
- Oversee the technical offerings implementation, quality assurance of delivery, and ensure the GSG community values and MC standards are implemented.
- Work directly with the WB technical coordinator, overseeing daily operations.
- Prepare budget estimates for technical activities.
- Work closely with the WB program manager on building a local talent pool for the program activities (speakers, alumni, consultants, trainers)
- Actively Participate in the WB expansion strategy and future planning.
- Prepare scopes of work with contractors, including companies, consultants, and organizations, and work with the procurement team on the program needs.
- Prepare payment requests and financial documents for related program activities.
- Collect, and report on monitoring and evaluation data and maintain relevant program files and support documents.
- Prepare logistic documents needed for the finance and procurement team.
- Liaises and coordinates with MC and GSG departments (including logistics and Admin).
- Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and not jeopardize its humanitarian mission.
- Travel to various parts of the West Bank, Gaza, for activities support and follow-up (including staying in locations overnight if needed)
- Follow up with the social media team on highlighting the expansion of the program in the WB.
- Engage in developing and implementing partnership strategies that support the program.
- Other duties as assigned.
Reports Directly To: Gaza Sky Geeks WB Program Manager.
Works Directly With: WB technical coordinator, GSG Program Team in West Bank and Gaza. Including Gaza Sky Geeks Director, Mercy Corps Administrative, Finance, and Procurement teams in Jerusalem.
Minimum Qualification & Transferable Skills
- University degree in computer science, computer engineering, information technology, or any related field.
- 3+ years of work experience in a relevant field. Experience in information management, administration or a highly organized role in other fields will be of value.
- Up-to-date knowledge of technical and IT industry developments.
- Exposure to the WB tech ecosystem players, having technical people network.
- Understanding the differences between the social, political, and economic contexts of Palestinian communities and a talent for communication with people across all levels of society.
- Excellent writing skills in English and Arabic.
- Proficiency in MS Office.
- Excellent communication and coordination skills, with a strong personality.
- Excellent planning and administration skills.
- Excellent ability to work under pressure and carry out multiple tasks.
- Friendly, enthusiastic, and positive attitude
- Detail-oriented with the ability to manage multiple projects at a time.
- Proactive, practical that always prioritizes outcomes, not just inputs.
- Ability to present MC-GSG in the ecosystem, conferences.
In support of our belief that learning organizations are more effective, efficient, and relevant to the communities we serve, we empower all team members to dedicate 5% of their time to learning activities that further their personal and/or professional growth and development.
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
Achieving our mission begins with how we build our team and work together. Through our commitment to enriching our organization with people of different origins, beliefs, backgrounds, and ways of thinking, we are better able to leverage the collective power of our teams and solve the world’s most complex challenges. We strive for a culture of trust and respect, where everyone contributes their perspectives and authentic selves, reaches their potential as individuals and teams, and collaborates to do the best work of their lives.
We recognize that diversity and inclusion is a journey, and we are committed to learning, listening, and evolving to become more diverse, equitable, and inclusive than we are today.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Mercy Corps is an equal-opportunity employer that does not tolerate discrimination on any basis. We actively seek out diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and skills so that we can be collectively stronger and have a sustained global impact.
We are committed to providing an environment of respect and psychological safety where equal employment opportunities are available to all. We do not engage in or tolerate discrimination on the basis of race, color, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, disability (including HIV/AIDS status), marital status, military veteran status or any other protected group in the locations where we work.
Safeguarding & Ethics
Mercy Corps is committed to ensuring that all individuals we encounter through our work, whether team members, community members, program participants or others, are treated with respect and dignity. We are committed to the core principles regarding prevention of sexual exploitation and abuse laid out by the UN Secretary General and IASC and have signed on to the Interagency Misconduct Disclosure Scheme. We will not tolerate child abuse, sexual exploitation, abuse, or harassment by or of our team members. As part of our commitment to a safe and inclusive work environment, team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner, respect local laws and customs, and to adhere to Mercy Corps Code of Conduct Policies and values at all times. Team members are required to complete mandatory Code of Conduct eLearning courses upon hire and on an annual basis.
Qualified persons with disabilities are highly encouraged to apply.
Interested candidates are encouraged to apply online HERE no later than Thursday 28 September 2023. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Please apply separate application for each position you are interested in.