Enabel is currently developing a new cooperation program for Palestine. This program will on the one hand build on the successes of governmental cooperation over the past decade and on the other hand will also provide a response to the Palestinian and global challenges of this decade.
Belgian development cooperation has supported the Palestinian territories since 1993 - initially through delegated cooperation. Direct governmental cooperation was started in 1997 for an amount of 15 million euros and the fourth and provisionally last agreement (2011) evolved to 71.6 million euros (2012-2015). This program was extended in December 2020 with an additional budget of 10 million euros.
The duration of the portfolio is 5 years (2022-2026). Implementation have started early in 2022. An indicative budget of 70 million euros is proposed for the 2022-26 program, which will partly continue to build on the current projects.
The new portfolio, which has the motto “Empowered youth in an environmentally sustainable Palestine”, will focus on 2 pillars: young people and their broad development and, on the other hand, the environment - in its broad sense. By doing so, the program wants to make maximum use of the future prospects of young people, in terms of broad training, education and employment - with a strong gender dimension and a focus on the most vulnerable. In addition to this, the new program wants to go for sustainability, environmentally friendly solutions, climate adaptation and mitigation.
As part of the elaboration of the new program, we are looking for a sustainable cities officer who will be responsible for supporting the implementation of “Green Gaza project” as part of the “Environment” pillar, aiming at improving the conditions of the Palestinian ecosystem & their population by reducing the ecological footprint & greenhouse gas emission. More specifically, the officer will work on achieving the second result: green cities in Palestine are promoted through resilient urban planning, green inclusive services and green buildings, considering, the needs of women & youth.
Main duties of the sustainable cities officer:
• Contribute to the implementation of the intervention by providing inputs for planning, execution, coordination, follow-up and monitoring, and evaluation of activities to ensure that the results of the intervention (outputs – outcomes) are achieved within the set execution deadline.
• Provide technical support to the team and to the implementing partners in the field of sustainable cities
• Support in building the sustainable city capacity of the implementing partners and local organizations.
• Assist in preparing technical training, workshops, and policy manuals.
• Perform field monitoring and coordination visits to mitigate risks and assure quality implementation.
• Contribute to the learning process about how the city functions, and the relevant approaches to the context of Palestine.
• Prepare technical ToRs, coordinate consultancies and review them.
• Follow up the implementation of the grant agreements with partner organizations to assure efficient and effective implementation.
• Assure effective synergies between project stakeholders, community representatives, academic institutions, local CSOs.
• Contribute to the sensitization and raising the environmental awareness and inclusive design of cities.
• Contribute to the preparation of the progress reports, mid-term reviews and evaluation reports.
• Perform other duties related to Enabel portfolio assigned by the immediate supervisor.
جميع الحقوق محفوظة لموقع جوبس.
Required qualifications and experience
• You hold a Master’s degree in engineering, city planning, environmental studies, or any other field;
• At least 2 years of professional experience in the field of sustainable cities within NGOs, INGOs, and public institutions.
• Relevant experience in city planning & green designs (buildings & open spaces)
• Relevant field and project coordination and management experience.
• Relevant experience in climate adaption and mitigation interventions
• Experience in waste management and energy is an asset;
Required skills and knowledge
• In depth knowledge of sustainability and city planning
• Excellent knowledge of how the city functions spatially, socially, and environmentally.
• Knowledge of local governance/municipalities in Palestine.
• Knowledge of community participation approaches, co-creation, and inclusion of women & youth.
• Thorough knowledge of project management cycles.
• Excellent communication and coordination skills with project partners.
• Analytical skills, writing skills, and knowledge building
• Knowledge of result-based management and monitoring & evaluation.
• Progressive, proactive, innovative, and change maker.
• Fluent in spoken and written Arabic, excellent knowledge of English is required.
We offer you
• A fascinating and exciting job in an international environment.
• A contract linked to the project period (expected till the end of 2026), based in Gaza.
• A salary package that comprises the monthly gross salary, in accordance with our salary scales (Class 5), and benefits. The exact salary will be defined according to the relevant recognized experience for the function.
Apply here on-line with an application letter and your updated CV, at the latest by 28 May 2023.
Only applications that are registered here via our on-line portal will be considered.