Social Worker - Jerusalem– National position
Position type and closing date
Full time position, National Position.
Location: Based in Jerusalem
Reports to: Head of clinical Psychosocial Unit
Closing date for applications: 6 March 2022
Applicants are required to uphold the core values of our organization.
The Augusta Victoria Hospital (AVH) is a medical center of excellence that has been providing healthcare services and other health programs for about 70 years to Palestinians, including refugees from throughout the West Bank and Gaza. AVH, a program by the Lutheran World Federation, serves patients regardless of race, religion, ethnicity, age, gender, sexual orientation, or political conviction, without discrimination or favoritism; It is a modern tertiary care facility that serves the most disadvantaged patients from Gaza and the West Bank and has a special historic relationship with the United Nations Relief Works Agency (UNRWA) for Palestine Refugees
For additional information, please see www.lutheranworld.org/World Service.
Terms of Reference
Main outcome of the role:
The main role of the Social worker is to advocate on behalf of the patients and their families. Enhance adaptations, provide Psycho-social support in all issues of life including the difficult issues of dying, death and emotions that arouse such as guilt, anger, fear and anxiety. Ensure that the social and emotional needs of each patient are met. Enable patients to maximize their individuality and their dignity. Maintain therapeutic relationships with patients and families and provide individual and family counseling. Complete the Initial intake form about the history of the patient, family status, the history of the ailment, feelings, input and recommendations. Assist in mediation and conflict resolution as issues arise. Facilitate the patients comfort within the new environment as he/she strives to retain identity and maintain autonomy. Mediate concerns that may arise between the patient/family and the medical team. Work very closely with the medical team. Document in the medical file the counseling session with the patient, companion and/or family and fill the necessary forms when the patient is transferred to another facility.
- Evaluate and Assess Patient’s needs, strengths and wishes.
- Create and Implement a treatment plan.
- Support patients to help resolve crises
- Counsel patients, companions, or families to help them understand problems, deal with crisis situations, define goals, and develop realistic action plans.
- Counsel patients/ companions to assist them in gaining insight, define goals, and plan action to achieve effective personal, social, development and adjustment.
- Enlighten patients about end-of-life symptoms and options to assist them in making informed decisions when needed.
- Support patients and their families through difficult times and ensuring that vulnerable people, including children and adults are safeguarded from harm.
- Cooperate with other professionals to evaluate patients' emotional status and accordingly assess the patient’s needs to maximize the outcome of the patients’ wellbeing.
- Facilitate communication between professional team members and the patient as well as patient’s families and companions.
- Counsel patients, Companions and Families in individual and group sessions to help them face and resolve their problems, Accept Their Present Condition, and adjust to life.
- Monitor, evaluate, and record the initial intake and the counseling session taking into consideration the general status of the patient/companion and the situation at hand.
- Serve as a Patient's Advocate. Social Workers need to be able to verbally represent their patients in order to be able to connect them with the services, resources and opportunities that they might need from both government and non-profit organizations.
- Identify environmental setbacks to patient’s progress and record it in the patient’s medical file. For example: (no privacy during individual counseling sessions which makes the patient’s privacy restricted).
- When necessary use the PHQ-9 test and the suicidal test and act accordingly.
- Appraisal of elder abuse whether physical, verbal, emotional, financial or psychological including neglect etc….
- Promote and respect human rights and have high ethical values.
- Maintain professional relationships and act as guides and advocate.
- Writ and report in the patient’s files
- Undertaking any other duties assigned by the head of the department and the Medical Director.
جميع الحقوق محفوظة لموقع جوبس.
Required Qualifications, Skills and experience
- BA or MS degree in social work from a credited university.
- Having license in social work is recommended but optional depending whether the applicant is from Jerusalem or the West Bank.
- At least 2 years of experience as a social worker with relevant experience and skills in Therapy and Counseling, Patients and Personal service, Social observant, Service oriented, Active listen, Coordinator, Critical Thinker, Complex Problem Solver, Emotional Intelligence and empathy, Cultural competency, Boundary setting ability and interpersonal skills .
- Effective and strong communicative skills in oral expression and communication, oral comprehension, speech clarity, speech recognition, written expression and delivery of presentations.
- Ability to work independently under pressure, meet tight deadlines, and demonstrate flexibility and creativity in planning and problem solving.
- Proven ability to take initiative, learn quickly, and be accountable for results.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and strong personnel management skills.
- Able to work collaboratively and inspire learning based on experience and to achieve results.
- Fluency, writing and reading in English, Hebrew and Arabic.
- Strong reporting skills
- Respect, Promote Ethical values and human rights
- Maintain professional relationships and act as guides and advocates.
The Lutheran World Federation (LWF) is a global communion of 148 churches in the Lutheran tradition, representing 75.5 million Christians in 99 countries. LWF World Service works in 25 countries in Africa, Asia, the Middle East, Latin America and the Caribbean. LWF Jerusalem program has served the Palestinians in Jerusalem, West Bank and Gaza through humanitarian, health and educational programs since 1948. LWF manages the Augusta Victoria Hospital, two vocational training centers in Ramallah and in East Jerusalem and its central office is on the Mount of Olives.
Interested and qualified candidates can apply online through Apply Now-button below